Liger-Belair Aux Cras or Les Cras?

Got my hands on some 2017 Aux Cras from Liger-Belair at nice price, so quite thrilled by that. Looking in to previous vintages I see some vintages names “Les Cras” and some “Aux Cras”.

I have not been able to find any insights in to why it varies from vintage to vintage.

Anybody knows? : )

There are two “aux cras” named vineyards, one in NSG and one in Beaune. There are several “les cras” vineyards scattered throughout Burgundy. It is a common vineyard designate. Confusing as all hell, of course. After all, this is Burgundy. You have to look at the specific village designation to be sure what you are getting, and even if it is red or white.

I haven’t been able to figure out why they switched, but they seemed to have switched before 2008; the 2006 label says “Les Cras” and labels beginning in 2008 say “Aux Cras.” The company website generally refers to the wine and vineyard as “Aux Cras.”

Thanks both. Liv-Ex still classifies it as Les Cras and in general it’s a mixed bag out there but good to know that it has been consistent since '08. Digging a bit more in to it found this article to be helpful too:

Yes, that blog says that only the first vintage from L-B was labeled Les Cras; that it has been Aux Cras since 2007.

As a rule, Nuits-St-Georges vineyards south of the village are ‘Les’ and north of the village are ‘Aux’ (have a look at a vineyard map of Nuits) but vignerons tend to put what they want to on the label. Sounds like Louis-Michel L-B changed his mind. The official cadastral version is indeed Aux Cras