TN: 2015 Ladd Cellars Zinfandel Avio Vineyard Sierra Foothills

• 2015 Ladd Cellars Zinfandel Avio Vineyard Sierra Foothills - USA, California, Sierra Foothills (9/1/2020)
    Nearly a year since my last bottle that I found to be a bit reduced, and time has been magic. Elegant, floral perfume, red fruit, and a balanced, spicy/earthy finish. This is a Zin for food. It’s a Zin for more quiet moments. It’s a Zin for contemplation. If only there were more like this. Wonderful.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the note David! You captured what I love about this wine, and how it evolves in interesting ways over time, over days if given the chance. A lot of credit for this goes to Berry Crawford, who suggested this vineyard and the benefits of working with early picked Foothills zin. I’m looking forward to seeing how this evolves over the years, I think it’ll be an interesting ride :slight_smile:.

It’s not clear yet how much red wine I’m going to be making this year, given the proximity of smoke and the vineyards I work with. Fortunately, it looks highly likely that I’ll be making chardonnay this year tho…due to the vineyard’s location and proximity to the coast. Making at least that will make me happy…and others happier.

Hoping for the best Eric.

Are you still making Zin, or was that a one-off?

Great wine indeed, thanks for the note! That Lundblad guy sure seems to know what he’s doing :wink:

Hey, thanks Eric!

The 15 Avio Zin isn’t the only vintage (the only one I’ve released tho). Making the 15 Zin came right as I had bottled my first Chardonnay…my first variety after making Pinot Noir only. I could tell that Chardonnay was something I should be making, should have been making earlier, so I decided to explore & play the field a bit with foothills varieties, to get a sense of what ‘resonated’ between me, the fruit and the soil/vineyard. Cab franc and Tempranillo seem to be a good match. Zin as well of course. I keep in contact with the folks at Avio and I plan on continuing to make it, tho occasionally…depending on the vintage and their availability. Given that I like a different Zin style than most, esp compared to the typical foothills zin, a vintage that appeals to me and fruit availability usually goes hand in hand. We’ll see if that holds up…I think it will tho.

Also, I’ve said this elsewhere, but I think it’s worth repeating…my wines usually show best with a bit of air. I’ve found that some air, but less than is typical, and more time (more than is typical) is best for my wines. Anyways, my recommendation is to open the bottle an hour or two ahead, pour some of the wine into a glass pyrex measuring cup (I use a 2 cup size) and pour the wine back in the bottle. I mention the pyrex because its lip fits perfectly into the top of the bottle making the pouring back simple/easy (no dripping, even when I’m in a rush). I do this for most all my wines, including my chardonnays, which really need/benefit from air. I do this twice with my Tempranillo, which needs the air. Skipping the hour or two ahead part and do the ‘pour out and pour back’ thing right before serving works well too. Of course you can use a decanter, the pyrex thing is an alternative…both work well. Woo Hoo.

I have had both the Zin and Tempranillo (this one right after bottling), and both show rather well, good balance, acidity to cleanse the palate, o elegant side of things, and good aging ability, IMO. Air time helps, of course, these are still on a very young side. I’d decant them, or double decant per Eric’s instructions above. Good fruit and good wine making.

Hmm…Tempranillo

Mmmm…Tempranillo :slight_smile:

Having worked with Foothills Tempranillo for a few years, I do think it’s an interesting/special place to produce it. The soils, climate and season seem to have what it takes, when picked at a ‘reasonable’ brix, to produce fruit that has interesting acidity, tannin ripeness, freshness/vibrancy and flavors/complexity. As I mentioned above, being tempranillo, it takes a bit of extra air for all the elements to ‘show up’, but not that much extra really.

Also, it goes without saying, but should be, that I’ve learned a lot from Steve Edmunds, about wine in general and esp the foothills. Thanks Steve!

[thumbs-up.gif]