TNs: Some wines with smoked meats

A lovely home dining experience with a huge amount of smoked meats.

• 2007 Domaine Bernard Baudry Chinon Les Grézeaux - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Chinon (30/8/2020)
    Decided to open this early to give it some air, this smelt a lot more appealing when first popped. After some time the nose developed a little heat and alcohol, but was a lot cleaner than the previous bottles that I have experienced. On the palate the core fruit is still youthful of sour cherries and it retains a sense of place with the earthiness of Loire.
  • 2014 Eric Texier Côtes du Rhône Villages Vaison La Romaine - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Côtes du Rhône Villages (30/8/2020)
    One of the most thoughtful winemakers who has been pushing the boundaries for biodynamic farming. His wines can be variable but this bottle was definitely on. Clean and crunchy red fruits, very soft tannins. Accessible and pretty much at peak now, an easy drinking CDR.
  • 2017 Eric Bordelet Poiré Granit - France, Normandy (30/8/2020)
    Very serious cider, to me it’s more contemplative than enjoyable. The pear taste was slightly overpowering but definitely has the complexity that you wouldn’t expect from a cider. Will seek the apple one out.

Nice platters of flesh!

Beautiful pork belly and beef ribs! Pairing wine with barbecue was a big part of getting into wine for me, it’s great to see other ideas.

I smoke meat a lot but havent really put much thought into pairing…curious out of those which paired the nicest with the dishes and why. And do you find it to be different for beef vs pork?

Thanks for the comments! Jon - I brought the Poire Granit for the scampi and roasted pork belly as it was done Asian style. Was a better pairing for the pork as the sweetness cut through the fat nicely, but overpowered the delicate scampi. That would have probably gone better with my alternative which was a Pépiere Muscadet.

The CDR worked like a Pinot to go with well the duck, and the Baudry was fine with the beef shortrib but probably needed something with a little stronger tannins.

That Texier bottling was one of my favorites of his, I thought it had some ‘rayas’ like qualities. I’m not sure if he works with that plot anymore.

I wonder if wines with smoke taint would pair well? Just a thought

Recently I hot smoked some prime porterhouse steaks to a medium rare doneness. Wood was a combination of apple and hickory. Opened a 1991 Lopez de Heredia Bosconia Gran Reserva to partner with the meat. In the glass the wine was clear medium bodied garnet with a touch of orange. Turns out this wine was a beautiful pairing for the steaks. I think the garnacha and other minor grapes(mazuelo & graciano) adds a nice flavor complexity to the tempranillo base that worked well with the smoked beef. I can’t remember how and when I purchased the LdH but there’s no more on my shelf. One additional point is that on day 2 the wine was still quite good(day 1 was better) with a deeper color expected with a full bodied red.

BTW Melvin your spread looks fantastic !

i was contemplating what to drink with pastrami and corned beef and we opted for a vecchia modena lambrusco which worked out quite well.

had it again the other night and opted for baudry’s granges…a 2017…and it worked well too. then again, baudry is pretty much our house red.