TN: 2014 Ceritas Chardonnay Peter Martin Ray

Damn this is good. I don’t know why I’m not still buying Ceritas. Well, I know why I’m not buying, because I missed a few releases and they dropped my name off the mailing list. Same thing happened with Arnot-Roberts. I really should re-up.
Light bodied, tart fruit, verve, just a bitchin SCM Chard.

EC163AE6-8780-4155-9FFB-B13D6C1BCB03.jpeg

Nice note Brian. For me Ceritas is the premier Chardonnay producer in California by a wide margin.

Tom

Wines are absolutely top-tier. Buying less these days as a PT employee.

Skipping 18 PB hurt badly.

Thanks for the review Brian, I’ve got a mix of all of their chard bottlings from 2014 and trying to hold on to all of them as long as possible. It sounds like the PMR was in a good spot now, but any thoughts on how long it will hold or where it’s headed from here? My initial thoughts when opening on release where that all of the 14s should go 10+ no problem.

I opened my last bottle of the one-off '06 PMR Chard in 2017 and it was amazing! That was solid, but no frills winemaking, so Ceritas could be better. Mount Eden Chards should also give you an idea of how well these should age.

How does this compare to Mt Eden, which is my only reference point so far for SCM Chard?

Personally haven’t had a Mt Eden, only itger SCM Chard I’ve gas was Trout Gulch from Arnot Roberts.This one was mire polished and the acidity not searing.

It was part of Martin Ray’s Mount Eden Vineyard. (When he was ousted, the investors took the vineyard’s name as their winery name and left him with a parcel as part of the settlement.) Subset of the same terroir. Farming and winemaking are different. Same clonal makeup of the older Mount Eden wines, not sure Jeffrey would have had any reason to introduce new clones, and don’t recall him mentioning that.

It would be fun to do a comparative tasting at some point.

Cool, thanks Wes and Brian.

The Ceritas PMR Chardonnay is made in a bit leaner style than Mount Eden. Love both producers.

-Al