Phone Apps for Wine?

Sorry if this subject has been covered before. I searched but did not find an earlier thread.

Not long ago, and though I have dragged my feet mightily for a long time, I was finally introduced to the iPhone. After quickly mastering how to make a phone call, I started playing with it. I came across and installed an app from Vivino that allows you to take a picture of the wine label and it will then link to information about that particular wine on the Vivino site - price, reviews, etc. I can see myself using this app while I am browsing the wines in Costco or really any other physical wine store to fuel and justify my impulse wine purchases.

Are there other wine-related apps that you find useful?

CT and delectable

cellar tracker is the most important. you can also use the label to search with CT, it actually searches through vivino’s database.

wine-searcher is also a very useful app

These are the only two I have, but I use them often

+1, like, or general agreement…not sure where the forum landed on proper terminology [cheers.gif]

Do yourself a favor, press and hold on the vivino icon and click the X to uninstall it. Then go to the app store and download CellarTracker.

I only use Cellartracker. Great for cellar management; looking up a wine while at a restaurant (remember those?); or in a store. CT links to winesearcher, so I use that whether than have the app itself – but depending on what you want the app for you should look at winesearcher as well. I dont find Vivino as reliable as CT.

While I agree that the user reviews on CT are far more useful than Vivino, I think Vivino has its place.
Often I am considering a wine that has no or very few reviews on CT but has many on Vivino.
I find in general if a wine was a Vivino rating of 4.0 or higher then I am more willing to give it a try.
However some the reviews are just garbage.

Most Used

• Cellar Tracker (make sure to connect Burghound or other reviewers for best use)

• Wine Searcher (pro version)

Also Use

• Auction Apps (HDH, Acker, WineBid once in a while)

• ClimaVinea - best app for maps of Burgundy

Review coverage on vivino is of course better than CT, but what is the value if the reviewers are for the most part uninformed?

To give a sense of the absurdity of vivino, crap like Belle Glos (4.5) is rated higher than Ducru-Beaucaillou (4.4).