Has the Wine Advocate basically given up at this point?

Like many, I subscribe to the wine advocate, along with Vinous and Jeb.

I find it interesting that Jen Dunnuck is going to release his reviews of 2018 Realm on Monday. Very timely given that the realm release starts Tuesday.

However, WA hasn’t even released reviews of the 2017 realm. But don’t worry, they did review the 2017 and 2018 treasury wines, for those of us that want to buy etude Pinot noir.

I remember when it was reasonable to expect good reviewers to post reviews of CA wines before they were even released. I mean when was the last time they reviewed SQN?

Do wineries just not want to let them review their wine anymore? Just seems like they are quickly become more irrelevant every day.

Maybe they only want to review relevant wine? [wink.gif]

. . .And we’re off to the races. pileon deadhorse

The Napa report usually comes out in October and December. It’s August. In any event, with the virus situation, I would expect the report to be shorter than normal. SQN reviews are apparently coming out in a few days.

WA put out sqn/andremily/faethm reviews 6/19.
i’ve been done with WA for a while because I don’t care for anyone there.
I don’t really see a gap in coverage between vinous and Jeb as far as what interests me. ymmv.

The SQN/Fingers Crossed/etc. reviews are coming out on Monday I think. It certainly is more helpful when the reviews come out before the wines are released. I was very happy to see their Riesling reviews before those wines hit the states and even before Mosel Fine Wine reviewed some of the wines.

Wine mag doesn’t review your favorite wine means they have given up?

Seems like a bit of a stretch.

No CT integration

Aren’t all the SQN wines going to be big, jammy, and alcoholic and get 95+ points anyway? If you like that style who cares about the reviews…just buy them.

We’ll know the WA is truly over when:

1. Lisa Perroti-Brown reaches the logical end point of her critical journey by giving 100 points to every Bordeaux that costs over $100
  2. William Kelly leaves to start his new photo site full of spectacular visuals of vineyard canopy management

yeah, there are a lot of wines for which this is true. If something is an established brand name and sells for a lot of money the only question is where on the 95-100 point scale the critic is going to put it this year.

Honest question but does anyone really wait for reviews to purchase SQN or Realm? Or is just to make sure there isn’t something wrong and they suddenly released below 90 pt wines?

No

Aren’t all the SQN wines going to be big, jammy, and alcoholic and get 95+ points anyway? If you like that style who cares about the reviews…just buy them.

Good point. Do they need to waste bottles sending them to WA when they could just sell them?

You know its bad when you can predict Lisa’s scores (within a point or two) just by knowing the name of the wine!

Agreed. They are fools wasting their time sending them to Wine Advocate. Now if they sent them to 3 Day Wine Review instead that would be smart… [tease.gif]

1 Like

I quit when they moved to electronic only, and did not tell me, a print subscriber. They told me only when I asked where my print issue would arrive, since it was late.

William Kelley’s reviews worth the price of admission alone. Stop your sookin’ and subscribe.

Yup

No. But they do wait for the reviews to sell them.