Recent TN's: Dauvissat, Ballot Millot, Hudelot-Noellat and Arcadian

Figured I’d share some brief impressions on some recent wines.

2007 Vincent Dauvissat La Forest Premier Cru – this was great….open and giving, yet still showing the potential for more upside. Fresh and displaying a backdrop of lemons and all of the to-be-expected saline notes along with exquisite acidity. Paired perfectly with the fresh ceviche we made on a hot afternoon.

2016 Ballot Millot Meursault Perrieres 1er Cru – damn, this was stacked full of extract and so, so good. Layers of yellow fruit, steel and a long persistent finish lengthened by the nervy acids. Super impressive.

2016 Hudelot-Noellat Chambolle Musigny 1er Cru – Les Charmes – I love Les Charmes and this was a great example of the lithe power it can exude. This bottle kept expanding the longer it was open with the deep red fruit offering a great balance against the structure. Everything seemed in place from the moment we pulled the cork to the last drop. I took notice more than once at how bitchen this wine as I drank each glass.

2004 Arcadian Hommage a Max Syrah – Arcadian syrahs are always textbook examples of “intensity without weight,” which is why I love them and this Max held true to the house style. Things were a little muted on the nose, with it being difficult to discern any particular notes, but the palate was focused, awash with savory and salty notes against a black berry core. Worked really well with a grilled steak but may be hiding something. I’ll hold my other bottles a bit longer and see if things flesh out further.