TNs: Saint-Emilion from the old school (+ a white Northern Rhone)

One of my regular weekend co-golf-hackers unexpectedly dropped in on a lazy Sunday afternoon. Instead of trekking down to one of the local bars for beers, I grabbed a few bottles that had been standing up in the wine fridge, and we landed at the neighborhood Spanish place, Covid-mandated outdoor-sidewalk-dining, for some tasty fresh-cooked tapas.

2018 Laurent Fayolle Crozes-Hermitage ‘Hauterives’ Blanc
Refreshing and smooth, even with a bit of denseness that I find in most Northern Rhone whites. A nice set-up for the ensuing wines. B

1982 Chateau Magdelaine, Saint-Emilion
My 5th experience with this vintage in the last 10 years. Am amazed how all bottles consistently showed the ruby-red, glistening robe, with lithe and silky texture, ripe firm layers of fruit, and delicious balance. Impressive aromatics. I’ve had more than my fair share of various vintages from this producer and this continue to establish my experience with the 1982 as one of their best, if not their best. A-/A

1970 Chateau Canon, Saint-Emilion
Some slight brick-color. Mature Bordeaux nose. Red fruit content, lean with good acidity. Past the apex of its best drinkability, still pleasurable but have had prior examples that killed it. B+/B

0D6DCAD0-A3CF-4E51-AAB0-7FEE228867F1.jpeg

82 Magdelaine! Hell of a lazy Sunday lineup.

Hope all is well Ramon.

Faryan is back! Hey bud.

I know, hmm, I’m bored, let’s pop an 82 Magdelaine and a 70 Canon that just happened to be propped up today!

I need more Ramon friends.

PS. Thanks for the note on that 82. I have one lone bottle looking at me.

All is well, Faryan. Good to hear/read from you. Had these standing up to drink later in the week with some steaks, but decided to enjoy the nice warm day in an outdoor dining street scene with the bottles.

I was really hoping to get these bottles into a live, in-person offline before the end of the year, but that is not looking good. So, these were stood up for next couple of weekend dinners at home.

That '82 is great, btw. Enjoy!

Our loss.

I’ve had good and not so good bottles of 70 Canon, which to me just means (not surprisingly) the wine is in a good place but storage and transport as well as a good seal are key.

Love 82 Magdelaine. If forced to rank though, I’m not sure it’s quite up there with certain other vintages, older and younger. But that’s splitting hairs given how much I love Magdelaine and how good 82 is.

Still have a lone 82 Magda from the same purchased lot and which I can try and make last for a post-Covid offline.

I thought my 70 Canon was looking good from color and bouquet standpoint. But @ 50, it may be the age where it starts to diminish its good points. I don’t have anymore and will likely not chase any unless it’s deeply discounted.

How would you compare, Ramon, and others, with the '89 Magdelaine, my only experience with this chateau from that decade? The first bottle I drank was truly sublime; the second did not show as well, but they were backfilled and poured under less than ideal conditions.

It used to run in the $70-80 range at auction IIRC, and I’m not sure I’d pay much more now.

As for this comment, “It may be the age where it starts to diminish its good points“: you may recall I recently turned 50 and this definitely describes me.

Both excellent. I think good bottles of 89 have more gas in the tank and will still be roaring in 20-30 years. 82, I’m not sure.

The 85 right now is crazy good.

Good to know, thanks, Jayson!

champagne.gif grouphug

Thanks for the notes but I was disappointed in a way when I read your post. When I saw the headline - Saint-Emilion from the old school - I was hoping that you found the holy grail, a young Saint-Emilion that tasted the way they used to taste. Well, you did find Saint-Emilions that tasted the way they used to taste, but had to go way back to find them. I was hoping for a 2016 or something more modern. Oh well, I guess that would be like looking for a unicorn.

I hear you and I share your pain. [cheers.gif]

The ‘89 Magdelaine, which I had as recent as last year, showed more savory/meat notes (which I also liked) than the ‘82. It’s very good with its ‘89 claret character, but more than anything, the consistency of the ‘82s I’ve had tend to stand out in my judgement.

Notes on 1989 Magdelaine here:

Interesting, Ramon,
I noticed a delicacy in my bottle–lacy, violets, though certainly a nice backbone. But maybe yours was just in better shape.

That was my reaction as well [cheers.gif]

The 82 is among my favorites.

Love the 82 Magdelaine, but the best I’ve had is the 1970. I’ve had the 70 4-5 times — at least two of which were with you and the gang, Ramon — and it’s wowed each time. It used to be a “shhhhh” wine, but the cat is long since out of the bag.

Still we don’t want to be too vocal…

Yes, I rememver one of the ‘70 Magdelaine we had kicked ass. Dale’s place? Although I also had one, with dinner at home that was not as successful.

Have you opened any of your 1982s yet?