Coravin damaging corks

Friend of mine started using Coravin on many of his wines. We have noticed that after using the Coravin, the corks seem to break when using a regular waiter’s friend and we have had to start using an Ah So on these. Anyone else experienced this problem?

1 Like

I use a Coravin a lot for blind tasting. Afterwards we pull those bottles when we want an example of something. Have had no issues with corks after the initial needling. Perhaps your friend is Coravin-ing older bottles with frailer corks? Or storing the wines in too dry of an environment?

Interestingly, my in-laws use their Coravin a good bit and also usually use a “Cork Pop” CO2 wine opener on lots of wines. On wines that have been Coravin’d the Cork Pop is often not effective, which leads me to believe it’s not a fully airtight seal and/or the Coravin hole can be forced upon with a little pressure. I use my Coravin once in a while on bottles I just want a glass out of and plan to consume within 4-6 months (and always bottles younger than 10 years old) … never noticed oxidation, myself.

Same here. Have used a Coravin often for years now and don’t think ive had a single issue with pulling a cork afterwards. But I also do not use it on older wines (20+ years old).

All of these were 20+ year old wines. Older corks probably are the issue.

Yep, that’s gotta be it. I had variable results in general with older wines so I stopped using the coravin on them. Better safe than sorry…especially with a nice bottle :slight_smile:

Based on what I’ve read here, I think he will stop with older wines.

I had the opposite problem. The coravin needle broke when I used it on a composite cork

I’m not so sure we have a total solution here. The conclusion makes sense for older bottles…but I Coravin lots of samples of younger wines. Upon pulling the forks subsequently, I have frequently been experiencing a great deal of cork debris. I am in the midst of discussing with Coravin. This was there initial response:

This is common with corks in less than good condition. Our Premium Needle was designed with a mesh at the sharp end to prevent this. Also, our Vintage Needle – our skinniest – will disturb the cork less.

All of our needles are non-coring, but work best with corks in decent condition.

This seems to suggest that if you want best results you need to upgrade your needle.

I will update as more info comes in.

Ouch! I’ve found the Coravin to not work well in general with composite corks. I dont even know if they’re supposed to be used on them actually? Feel like composite corks don’t reseal the same way, right?? Or am I off on that.

With older bottles they often break anyway. Could have nothing to do with coravin

Is DIAM a composite cork?

Yes and it’s very hard to use the Coravin in one, but I didn’t break the needle. I tend to think you could only break a needle if you were pressing at the wrong angle.