TN: '12 Egon Muller QbA and '01 JJ Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Spatlese

A couple of rieslings drinking in the slot with take out Thai.

[*]2012 Egon Müller Riesling QbA Scharzhof - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (8/17/2020)
limpid gold green in color. A fresh, airy nose with lime, florals, and slate. Light bodied, filigree fine and understated with a seamless balance if fruit, soil, RS, and acid. Gossamer in texture, lifted and incredibly drinkable. A calm, effortless weightless wine. Just a hint of petrol on the back end. Lovely with Thai. Drinking well with time in hand, but I see no reason to wait. (92 pts.)[/list]
Posted from CellarTracker

A hauntingly beautiful nose of kaffir lime, slate, and honeysuckle florals. An archetypal example of intensity without mass on the palate. Beautifully focused and incredibly fresh with brilliant acidity, fantastic lift, and beautifully ripe fruit that is near perfectly balanced with the RS and acid. What impresses me the most is the sense of harmony and its ability to distill Wehlener Sonnenuhr soil and fruit into its essence. A fantastic, cohesive spatlese drinking at early peak. Brilliant with a Thai dinner. Brilliant by itself. (96 pts.)

Thanks for reading

Love that '01 Prum WS Spatlese. Brilliant wine. Brilliant!

Nice job, Todd. Very nice.

My two favorite vintages since the turn of the millennium. Lovely notes.

Yes! Bring forth that Riesling Truth into this Corrupt World!

*Also good notes. Looks a good time.

This note made me check how many bottles of the 01 I own and have drunk. I learned to my horror that while i bought 8 bottles when the wine was first released I only have two left - and i either gave away or donated the other six!

Great notes Todd! I would love to spend a day just looking around your cellar. You seem taste wines right up my alley. I have been looking 01 JJ Prum Spatlese for a while now with no luck. Andrew K graciously offered to help later on this year. I am very excited to taste it as I have heard it’s one of the finest examples of Prum one can try. With only one bottle i will likely wait a little. If I am able to obtain a bottle would you suggest drinking soon or waiting? It’s great to hear an expert like yourself enjoyed the bottle so much. Thank you for sharing.

Personally I would take the opportunity to experience it sooner than later as it’s certainly within the peak window. And the thing about running out, with Prum there’s always opportunities to pick up more bottles down the road when you find something you love. At least that’s the way I approach it. I just picked up a case last year from a cellar sale and already drank 8. It goes so great with spicy Thai food. With the one for you, that only leaves me with 3 left, and I’m sure I’ll drink those soon too. But I’ll certainly buy more when I find it! Just have to be patient. Maybe it’s this year, maybe next, maybe in 5 years, but more will hit the market somewhere.

Well that settles it. This will be my Christmas Eve bottle this year. I can’t wait to share my notes on this one. I hope I can do it justice like Todd did.

You are correct Andrew. I definitely need to have a little more patience when it comes to picking some of these ups. Being that I am somewhat new to actually cellaring wine I am a little to enthusiastic about back filling my collection right away, but I need to remember that there will always be opportunities to purchase in the future. Another goal of mine this year is to get more experience in wine auctions. I don’t want to sidetrack the initial post so I will stop babbling.

That’s awesome that you found a case at auction. I have read from several tasting notes, including this one, that the 01 Prum Spatlese is one of the best that Mosel has to offer. I have come around to your style of purchasing multiples of the same bottle and tasting over time when it’s possible. Thanks again for being so kind Andrew and thanks for the notes Todd.

As for Egon Muller, I have yet to try any of their Rieslings. From some of the tasting notes and from some of the crazy prices on some of their wines it looks like it has a very strong following.

Thanks for reading everyone.

Gavin, I would agree with Andrew. You can find these to backfill. While I think this will drink extremely well for another decade plus, and has some room for positive development (if you like them more mature), it is so good right now there is no reason to wait. Also, look for the 01 Kabinett. It is drinking extremely well now.

Too many drink their Spatlese too quickly, but there is something to be said for not going too long with them unless you’re really experienced. Also, Spatlese (and Kabinett) are good examples of where it’s really helpful to get at least a six-pack, and preferably a case. You can start at 10-12 years, and kind of inch forward and see how they click.

This is something I was not doing before I found these boards. Andrew K and others really changed my mind. I totally understand and still by 1-2 bottles of GK and some Auslese that I plan on cellaring for a long time. I also think there is nothing wrong with buying single bottles, however I have started buying at least 3 of each of the kabinett’s and spatlese when I order now to drink at different ages. It all depends on budget and other variables, of course, but I have decided to buy fewer single bottles in total to get a better understanding of wine aging because I am somewhat new to learning about the aging process. I think in the end what ever floats your boat is just fine but there is a lot of merit to learning the process first hand by tasting for yourself.