Couple recent TN: arpepe, villaine, Ramonet, Drouhin Laroze Beze

2006 Arpepe Ultimi Raggi

This is one of my favorite wines. Beautiful intoxicating nose, still open for business like my last visit 3 years ago. This was again hedonistic and very pleasurable to drink without overtly obtrusive tannins. Lovely.

2016 Aubert de Villaine Rully 1er Champ Cloux

This was punching far above its level, fantastic. Zippy acidity, pure fruits, long finish.

2017 Ramonet Chassagne Montrachet Rouge

Last 375 of this, again lovely red crunchy fruits, generous on the nose and palate, and silky smooth. Very enjoyable.

2014 Drouhin Laroze Beze

Took a couple hours to wake up. Still primary with great concentration, needs at least a few years but great potential.

Great lineup. Arpepe is so consistently satisfying.

how long do you think before one should try the 2014 beze?

I’ll probably revisit in 2024.

Ryan the late harvest arpepe and rocce rosse are my favorite.

Michael,

Thanks for the note on the Ramonet. I have some of this (half bottles) coming in the fall when shipping season starts and cannot wait to try it.

Day 2 the Drouhin Laroze Beze has rounded into something lovely with some earth and dark fruits on the nose and ample acidity and structure on the palate with a very long finish. This is a serious wine. Next bottle in 2024, I think. Was a smoking value at 125/per.

Drouhin Laroze grand crus used to be a terrific bargain, in part because of an unsteady reputation on quality. I am sitting on some old 2010 Clos Vougeot obtained at prices reminiscent of a lot of village cote de nuits today. Reputationally it seems to be turning around a bit recently.