TN: 2016 Frank Cornelissen Contadino (Italy, Sicily, Etna DOC)

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
G. Greenbaum

TN: 2016 Frank Cornelissen Contadino (Italy, Sicily, Etna DOC)

#1 Post by G. Greenbaum » August 22nd, 2020, 1:01 pm

2016 Frank Cornelissen Contadino - Italy, Sicily, Etna DOC (8/21/2020)
Found 2 bottles I forgot about. SCORE! I love this wine in past vintages but I don't think I've had one this old. Well, concern was alleviated once I popped the ardeaseal. Beautiful notes of crushed cranberries and spice fill the aromatic profile. On the palate it delivers an ever evolving array of crunchy red fruits, smoke and forest floor, coating the palate with tart, carbonic plummy red fruits. It has a lovely "light on it's feet" weight, with an energetic, almost electric energy. It finishes long and lingering. This is the wine (from the 2008 vintage) that sent me in search of more Aetna wines, namely reds. Nerello Mescalese is one of those grapes that can confuse blind tasters. I find it intriguing, pulling in elements of Gamay, Pinot Noir and maybe even Grenache, I'm fascinated by the wines I've tried to date. This wine might be one of the greatest values at sub $25, though the Contadino brand has now morphed into Susucaru Rosso and price has keep up slightly. I've never had an off bottle of Contadino or Susucaru FWIW.
Regards,
Gregg

ITB

Return to “Wine Talk”