2005 Vincent Girardin Corton Charlie

This wine was a revelation, at least for me. Bought upon release and stored at 55 degrees, the color was light yellow. The youthfulness and freshness was simply amazing. Mostly stone fruits and very light smoke on the nose, was followed by white peach, pear, and clover honey on the palate. In opened my eyes to what a 15 year white Burg can be, when none of the degradation of premox is present.

I still have some 2003 tucked away somewhere that I need to dig out and drink. No one wanted to buy 2003 so I purchased for less that $40 per bottle. Not the ideal vintage, but the last time I had it, it surprised me.

this is why we are in the chase . . .

A couple of years ago, Girardin was clearing out some unlabeled '06, '09, '10 and '12 whites. I bought quite a few BBM, Batard, Chevalier and a couple of bottles of Monty. Everything has been really good. They are rich and show a bit oak, but we have enjoyed every single bottle.

I bought some 2002 and 2004 Grand Crus from Girardin many years ago. They languished in my UK cellar until recently when I decided to open one, fully expecting to find it poxed and therefore pour it down the drain. It was a 2002 Batard and it was exceptional. So was the 2004 Monty and the 2004 CC Quintessence. Recently, in Singapore I drank a 2009 Chevalier which was very well priced on the restaurant’s list. Once again, a brilliant bottle. I’ve since revised my opinion of Girardin’s whites and actively seek them out when fairly priced.

I also hear his son is now ITB, producing wines under the Pierre Girardin label.