TN: 2004 Bonneau du Martray Corton-Charlemagne

• 2004 Bonneau du Martray Corton-Charlemagne - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Corton-Charlemagne Grand Cru (8/20/2020)
    Last bottle of a six pack bought in 2012…all have been wonderful bottles, with the last couple showing some signs of ox, yet not detracting from the pleasure in any way. #6 is golden metallic green tinge color…baked green apple, cinnamon brioche, dried honey, lees, crushed limestone nose. Rich and waxy on the palate…showing a nice honeyed creme to the pitted orchard fruit…still has a tart snap to it…plenty of cut with the fresh squeeze of lemon and ginger bite. LOVE the salinity with smoked sea salt, chalky minerals…sneaky white pepper spice kick in the finish. Pretty white flower florals, nuanced hazelnut and peach tea…lengthy well balanced finish with a persistent drive of acidity and spice. Damn good! Why is the last bottle ALWAYS the best one??? Such a successful purchase with this 6er…wish I could find more at $53! (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Had a bottle a couple of weeks ago. Drinking wonderfully well.

start with the last bottle next time. I’ve got a few 04s left. Not buying now—price too high.

Great note on this.

I know someone who says that Bonneau du Martray CC is their favorite wine of all time.

Any idea where to find some whether they are current, or back-vintage?

Popped a 2017 a few months back, still the best Corton Charlie I’ve had to date. Not cheap, but outstanding quality! Coincidentally, I popped a 2017 Louis Latour earlier this evening. About 1/2 the price and 1/4 the enjoyment.

Nice to see a high performing mature white

Had the 2014 last year at a restaurant - best white last year… amazing stuff

If the last bottle is the best one, I’d say well done! Sometimes the first bottle is the best one, and you buy more, and then you get to the disappointment!

P.S. Buzz, I never get tired of your wine photos. And nice notes too. Play on “playbuzz” !

Always like the Buzz review. Besides the photo of the bottom he always gets a shot of the wine in the glass. Seeing the wine condition is better than seeing the bottle.

Great stuff, Buzz.

I have a tradition of bringing a mag of Bonneau du Martray CC to Cape Cod every August with extended family and enjoying it with lobsters. Family tends more toward Corona Light than burg, but everyone is always happy. Also, I’ve had many BdM vintages (back to 1990), and have never had premox.

I would call it great value in GC burg, but still…$53? I am not old enough to remember that kind of price. Well played!