TN: Young Macon and Santenay

RACLETTE + PLAYDATE - Seaview (25/7/2020)

Our kids had a playdate with M - while the adults had a nice civilised time over a nice meal and a couple of charming bottles.

• 2016 Les Héritiers du Comte Lafon Viré-Clessé - France, Burgundy, Mâconnais, Viré-Clessé
    Lafon’s expressions of Macon have really improved over the years, and this was just lovely. The nose showed some of the ripe tropical shades and floral notes one would expect from the Southerly terroir, but these were wed to notes of sweet pear, macadamia nuts and a nice line of minerality. It was on the palate where I thought this shone though. Served chilled, it showed a lovely balance, with round notes of peaches and pineapples laced with a liberal squeeze of fresh lime acidity, all this lined with a nice spine of chalk and flint acidity that pulled the wine into a lovely, long finish that trailed away with just a little trace of spice and nuts. Simply delicious, and drinking really well in its youth. Bravo. (92 pts.)
  • 2017 Caroline Morey Santenay Les Chainey - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Santenay
    Light, delicate, but really enjoyable. I really liked this. This had such a nice nose - roses and violets, red fruited aromas of raspberries and strawberries, and then just a twist of spice and brambly herb. Really pretty. It was lovely on the palate too - fresh, bright and luscious, with juicy notes of strawberries, raspberries and cherries laced with gentle notes of mineral, all these draped in a cloak of silky tannins. Surprisingly long finish too, with a little burst of warm spice at the end. Wonderfully balanced and perfectly integrated, this was such a drinkable young wine. Simple, light-weighted, but absolutely lovely - I was very taken by this. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker