2018 Realm save the date (Sept 1st)

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
NickRut
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: 2018 Realm save the date (Sept 1st)

#51 Post by NickRut » September 1st, 2020, 10:20 am

Anyone allocated Falstaff and passing? Please pm me!
Rutkowski

HoosJustinG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#52 Post by HoosJustinG » September 1st, 2020, 10:25 am

Br1an Th0rne wrote:
September 1st, 2020, 10:14 am
HoosJustinG wrote:
September 1st, 2020, 10:06 am
Going for 6 Bard and 2 Moonracer (+1 wishlist) ... no Absurd for me, though if anyone wants to share their Absurd allocation hit me with a DM (I can't see the price, so not sure if I'm a taker).
The 2017 Absurd Is up to $525, which is a $50 increase over the 2016, which was a $50 increase over the 2015. I am pretty good with numbers, and by my calculations that is a $100 increase in 2 years. Surprised they raised the price of Absurd again given the reputation of the ‘17 vintage. Definitely in for everything else!
Never mind. That’s the same price as Abreu’s releases today (Madrona Ranch and Capella). If I’m spending $500 on a bottle, i’m going to lean toward the style built to age longer (IMO).
I'm a good man ... in fact, it's my last name

JohnP

#53 Post by JohnP » September 1st, 2020, 10:26 am

Order in!
John Pollard

JohnP

#54 Post by JohnP » September 1st, 2020, 10:29 am

Pulled from offering page (The Bard) -

Vineyard
Beckstoffer To Kalon Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon, Realm SLD Estate Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon, Houyi Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon, Blair Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon, Farella Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon, Levensohn Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon, Beckstoffer Bourn Cabernet Sauvignon, Upper Range Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon, Upper Range Vineyard Cabernet Franc, Realm SLD Estate Vineyard Merlot, Larkmead Vineyard Petit Verdot, Beckstoffer Bourn Vineyard Petite Sirah.

Wine Profile
Red, blue and black fruit jumps out of the glass; the black fruit may be more dominant/hedonistic yet the wine shows brightness and finesse. This is a sexy, creamy, juicy The Bard, with spiciness and a savory umami quality that leaves you wanting more. The wine hits on all cylinders; it’s perfumed, layered and complex, ending with a note of licorice.

Realm Context
The complexity of 2018 The Bard is unparalleled, not only in its fruit sources but in the way it’s put together and how it sits in the glass and on the palate. With fruit, acid, and tannins woven together seamlessly, this is the most complete example of The Bard we’ve ever made. With so many different dimensions coming together in harmony, there is more than meets the eye with this wine along with something for everyone. Quite simply, this is the best The Bard Realm has produced.
John Pollard

R@f@el A.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#55 Post by R@f@el A. » September 1st, 2020, 10:34 am

Order in:

3 Bard
2 Tempest
1 Falstaff
4 Moonracer
1 Absurd (wish list)

Joe B
GCC Member
GCC Member

#56 Post by Joe B » September 1st, 2020, 10:40 am

Took 14 Bards plus a 1.5L Bard and wished for 1 Falstaff. Left my Absurd, Moonracer, Tempest on the table.
J W@ll @ce

Hank Victor
GCC Member
GCC Member

#57 Post by Hank Victor » September 1st, 2020, 10:53 am

Bard x 6 + 1WL
Falstaff x 1 + 1WL
Moonracer x 1
Tempest x 1

Order in and split between a group of friends.
- ITB
Take a chance, Columbus did..

H V br1M@

Nicholas C

#58 Post by Nicholas C » September 1st, 2020, 10:56 am

As its a guaranteed allocation, is there any benefit of getting the order in at the start of the window vs. later on?

Curious, is there typically a good probability of wishlist requests being fulfilled?
[ 0 0 p 3 r

Keith_B
GCC Member
GCC Member

#59 Post by Keith_B » September 1st, 2020, 10:59 am

Realm, Di Costanzo and Dakota Shy all release today for me, going to be an expensive day...
Instagram: @keithbentley

Br1an Th0rne
GCC Member
GCC Member

#60 Post by Br1an Th0rne » September 1st, 2020, 11:00 am

Nicholas C wrote:
September 1st, 2020, 10:56 am
As its a guaranteed allocation, is there any benefit of getting the order in at the start of the window vs. later on?

Curious, is there typically a good probability of wishlist requests being fulfilled?
I’m sure visa and MasterCard would appreciate if we got our orders in early!

SamHoyt

#61 Post by SamHoyt » September 1st, 2020, 11:08 am

HoosJustinG wrote:
September 1st, 2020, 10:25 am
Br1an Th0rne wrote:
September 1st, 2020, 10:14 am
HoosJustinG wrote:
September 1st, 2020, 10:06 am
Going for 6 Bard and 2 Moonracer (+1 wishlist) ... no Absurd for me, though if anyone wants to share their Absurd allocation hit me with a DM (I can't see the price, so not sure if I'm a taker).
The 2017 Absurd Is up to $525, which is a $50 increase over the 2016, which was a $50 increase over the 2015. I am pretty good with numbers, and by my calculations that is a $100 increase in 2 years. Surprised they raised the price of Absurd again given the reputation of the ‘17 vintage. Definitely in for everything else!
Never mind. That’s the same price as Abreu’s releases today (Madrona Ranch and Capella). If I’m spending $500 on a bottle, i’m going to lean toward the style built to age longer (IMO).
I just purchased my allocation of 2016 Abreu Madrona Ranch this morning, and I am already getting excited about the future of this vintage.

Philip G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#62 Post by Philip G » September 1st, 2020, 11:14 am

Nicholas C wrote:

I specifically asked Realm this question and their response to me was: "At this time, we do not prioritize Wish Requests by the date they are submitted". So, seems like little risk in waiting but no guarantees.
Chip G@@d

Nicholas C

#63 Post by Nicholas C » September 1st, 2020, 11:17 am

Philip G wrote:
September 1st, 2020, 11:14 am
Nicholas C wrote:

I specifically asked Realm this question and their response to me was: "At this time, we do not prioritize Wish Requests by the date they are submitted". So, seems like little risk in waiting but no guarantees.
Thanks Philip, good to know!
[ 0 0 p 3 r

chris.p

#64 Post by chris.p » September 1st, 2020, 11:31 am

scott.becker wrote:
August 19th, 2020, 8:59 am
Hi everyone, first time posting but I've followed the dialogue for many years. I've always enjoyed the sense of community and the quest for knowledge that is found here.

In that spirit, thought I would chime in on the upcoming Realm release. With some new wines in the portfolio, we took a fresh look at the release schedule and decided to shift some wines around. We decided to hold back the Levensohn Vineyard for now. Kata/Bourn will be released in the spring alongside Beckstoffer To Kalon and Dr. Crane. We moved Moonracer up to the fall release where it will stay. As our first estate wine, Moonracer felt like a perfect counterpoint to The Bard - one attempts to showcase a sense of place from our own land, the other reflects a blend of Cabernet from all over the valley. The rest of the fall lineup remains the same. You should receive an email next Tuesday, Aug 25 with more details.

Feel free to contact me anytime. My email is sbecker@realmcellars.com. I know sometimes there are questions during the release about allocations, etc. I'll try to check back here regularly to post updates but sometimes it's easier to email me directly or call the winery. We aren't perfect and we make mistakes...but we have a passionate team that is striving to do their best and over-deliver on your expectations. I'm excited to share the 2018 vintage because it's certainly one of our best yet. Between harvest, covid, construction, the fall release, and now fires burning to our east...we've got our hands full and our heads down!

Hoping everyone is safe, healthy and drinking great wine!

Best,
Scott Becker
Realm Cellars
Thanks for posting here! i just place my order, and I am looking forward to enjoy my wine soon.
P e n g

Philip G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#65 Post by Philip G » September 1st, 2020, 12:07 pm

Nicholas C wrote:
September 1st, 2020, 11:17 am
Philip G wrote:
Nicholas C wrote:

I've got to say I appreciate the guaranteed allocations. It takes the stress off having to log in and make quick decisions.
Chip G@@d

William Anzalone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#66 Post by William Anzalone » September 1st, 2020, 12:22 pm

1st allocation with Realm and order in for 5 Bard + 1 mag and 2 Moonracers. Maxed out my allocations for The Bard and Moonracer but left my allocation for 2 Tempest on the table. I wasn't offered any Falstaff. Looking forward to these wines and being a part of future releases!
Last edited by William Anzalone on September 3rd, 2020, 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria.-Ben Franklin

2020 WsOTY:
1990 Ridge Monte Bello
2014 Bevan Cellars Tench EE
2008 Dom Perignon

Jeff L

#67 Post by Jeff L » September 1st, 2020, 12:41 pm

I can wishlist Falstaff or buy Moonracer. I've never had either but is there a consensus on which is better (subjective I know). $250 seems steep for Moonracer when the Bard is so darn good at $110..

MICHAEL C R O M W E L L
GCC Member
GCC Member

#68 Post by MICHAEL C R O M W E L L » September 1st, 2020, 12:55 pm

Bard - 12 + Mag
Absurd - 1
Falstaff - 3
Tempest - 2

WL’d more of the above, passed on Moonracer
M i c h a e l C r o m w e l l
CT: Geaux Tigers

Bill V

#69 Post by Bill V » September 1st, 2020, 1:14 pm

Hmm... Why all of the moonracer passes? I've had 15, 16 ,17 over the last couple of years just to try and they were outstanding. In face on two occasions with a bunch of wine buddies that all collect a a high level (high of cally cabs, though like many have started to kill the crazy over priced wines) and at two separate tastings the Moonracer was the star above all others. Not a definitive list and didn't write down all vintages but we also had in those seatinss various Schrader's, Monte Bello Ridge, Hundred Acre, Caymus SS, Debate Crane, Promontory, Brand and others. My allocation on that one is 9 and I was thinking that I should take them all, especially he 2018's. In fact, at least one of my friends immediately joined and it may have been two of them.

Price point?
$ Bill V in g i a n 0

MICHAEL C R O M W E L L
GCC Member
GCC Member

#70 Post by MICHAEL C R O M W E L L » September 1st, 2020, 1:16 pm

Bill V wrote:
September 1st, 2020, 1:14 pm

Price point?
Bingo!
M i c h a e l C r o m w e l l
CT: Geaux Tigers

Br1an Th0rne
GCC Member
GCC Member

#71 Post by Br1an Th0rne » September 1st, 2020, 1:27 pm

Philip G wrote:
September 1st, 2020, 12:07 pm
Nicholas C wrote:
September 1st, 2020, 11:17 am
Philip G wrote:

I've got to say I appreciate the guaranteed allocations. It takes the stress off having to log in and make quick decisions.
LOVE the guaranteed allocations also...definitely helps in terms of keeping the boss/accountant (wife) happy!

OwenB
GCC Member
GCC Member

#72 Post by OwenB » September 1st, 2020, 1:30 pm

MICHAEL C R O M W E L L wrote:
September 1st, 2020, 1:16 pm
Bill V wrote:
September 1st, 2020, 1:14 pm

Price point?
Bingo!
Same here. With so many great ~$100 wines out there (like the bard), I find few occasions where I can justify the $250 ones.
    8 A $ H A

markjchambers

#73 Post by markjchambers » September 1st, 2020, 1:49 pm

I was surprised to get notice of the offering since I have not bought for a couple of years. Turns out I only get to wish, no guarantee and wishing is limited and no Absurd.
    I'll see what, if anything, I get.

N. Justl
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#74 Post by N. Justl » September 1st, 2020, 1:58 pm

How do these wines come? I am interested in picking up a few bottles of The Bard and The Tempest, but shipping 4 bottles is running $42 via ground. Seems kind of steep.
    Nick

tpetty
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#75 Post by tpetty » September 1st, 2020, 2:17 pm

I was going to just get a couple Bards. But $50 shipping for 2 bottles! That seems excessive.
    T o d d *** P e t t y

tpetty
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#76 Post by tpetty » September 1st, 2020, 2:19 pm

ah, never mind. found a cheaper shipping option at $29 - that at least seems more reasonable
    T o d d *** P e t t y

David Crow

#77 Post by David Crow » September 1st, 2020, 2:57 pm

It looks like the vineyard sources for the Falstaff have changed quite a bit. In the past I believe they sourced most of the Franc from Weitz and Fortuna in eastern Oakville. In 2018 it looks like all the Franc came from their new upper range vineyard. It will be interesting to see how this impacts things.

A few weeks ago I had a 2015 Falstaff and it was magnificent. I’m hoping the 2018 is as good or better.

Tom Chen

#78 Post by Tom Chen » September 1st, 2020, 4:06 pm

Picked up 6 Bard. Left the rest. Love the wines, but just need to diversify a bit at the higher ends.

Glad to see no price change between the 2017 and 2018 Bards.

scott.becker
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#79 Post by scott.becker » September 1st, 2020, 6:33 pm

Hi everyone, thought I'd share a few notes about this particular release. First and foremost, thanks for your support and enthusiasm for our wines!

1. Cab Franc sourcing for Falstaff has migrated to Upper Range. You will be hearing more about this vineyard in the years to come from us and other producers - it's located in the hills east of Rutherford and sits just below Pritchard Hill. We planted a few acres of Cab Franc here on a long-term lease with the Bettinelli family. Similar elevation and aspect to Weitz, Dalla Valle, etc. and similar dense rock to those vineyards on Pritchard Hill.

2. Production of 2017 The Absurd was miniscule. Benoit put it best: there is not a lot of this wine but it means a lot to us that there is some. It’s an example to us of not giving up and proving we can make some pretty good wine in a difficult vintage. A lesson we are being reminded of presently in 2020. Sadly allocations were limited to one bottle for those who have purchased it for multiple years. We will be back to normal allocations with the 2018 vintage.

3. 2018 The Bard is the most complex blend we’ve ever done for this wine. Blending Cabernet together from Coombsville and Calistoga isn’t easy and isn’t always possible…but when it works, it’s thrilling! I’d like to think this wine punches far above its weight.

4. The Tempest is red-fruited like usual and really shows the charm and appeal of a vintage like 2018 – lots of fruit but still holding freshness.

5. Moonracer is starting to show a unique character among the wines in our portfolio. Of course I’m biased but this is the one to watch in our lineup as the years go by. 2018 was only our third year farming the vineyard. We started a slow replant that will take a decade or longer to complete. Plenty of fruit character showing in this wine but there’s something more – more depth, more dimensions. I won’t say minerality yet because that word is overused and we have a long way to go to earn that…but that’s the direction. I saw the comments above about price and I appreciate that perspective. Moonracer represents the transformation of Realm from a Maison to Domaine (in Burgundy terms) and we will continue to work our tails off in the years ahead to live up to that moniker.

6. If you aren’t allocated what you want, use the wish function. We try to grant as many wish requests as possible. In this particular release we likely won’t be able to grant many requests for Absurd or Falstaff. After the release closes, we take unsold bottles from member allocations and use those to fulfill requests. So our ability to grant wishes is dependent on availability and demand which can vary from wine to wine and release to release.

7. I fully understand the headache of shipping costs and we will always be open to feedback and ideas from this forum. We are exploring ways to lower those costs through zone skipping, lighter packaging, etc. More to come on this in the future.
    Realm Cellars

J. Rock

#80 Post by J. Rock » September 1st, 2020, 6:40 pm

Scott, thanks for the input! Regarding shipping, I just want to note that while there's probably a good reason wineries don't seem to ship via GSO, they seem to somehow provide me with the best service, by far, and lowest rates, so I'd love to see that as an option. Just my two cents.

Thanks again for stopping by. I'm really excited to try the 2018s!
    J o r d a n

Aleks V

#81 Post by Aleks V » September 1st, 2020, 7:23 pm

Thanks Scott, super helpful. My first vintage buying and looking forward to trying the wines.

Christine Courtney
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#82 Post by Christine Courtney » September 2nd, 2020, 5:20 am

J. Rock wrote:
    September 1st, 2020, 6:40 pm
    Scott, thanks for the input! Regarding shipping, I just want to note that while there's probably a good reason wineries don't seem to ship via GSO, they seem to somehow provide me with the best service, by far, and lowest rates, so I'd love to see that as an option. Just my two cents.

Thanks again for stopping by. I'm really excited to try the 2018s!
    I completely agree with GSO!! If GSO is available from the winery, I always choose them as my shipping option. While I don't get all the fancy email updates, like I do from the Big Two delivery companies, GSO always delivers next day before noon by the same person, with zero issues...at the same or lower cost than Ground for the other two. And GSO is for sure 1/2 the cost of Overnight delivery of the other two, so where do I sign??

I find some wineries are flexible and will ship GSO if I ask. Some are a hard "no" because they had one issue, one time, back in the day, as if the other two are stellar examples of customer service...at least on the receiving end of the delivery process, lol. I think that GSO is not used as much by wineries because they have a much more limited service area and don't have the robust marketing of the other two, but maybe if we keep asking??
    "I can certainly see you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between bordeaux and claret" John Cleese-Fawlty Towers

Bdklein
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#83 Post by Bdklein » September 2nd, 2020, 9:51 am

will these wines ship this year ?
    Bruce Klein

J. Rock

#84 Post by J. Rock » September 2nd, 2020, 9:58 am

Bdklein wrote:
    September 2nd, 2020, 9:51 am
    You can schedule a shipping date in Oct - Nov I believe, pending weather.
    J o r d a n

Bdklein
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#85 Post by Bdklein » September 2nd, 2020, 10:03 am

J. Rock wrote:
    September 2nd, 2020, 9:58 am
    Bdklein wrote:
    September 2nd, 2020, 9:51 am
    You can schedule a shipping date in Oct - Nov I believe, pending weather.
    Thanks . Just wasn't sure if this fall or next year. I'm Just cherry picking a few bottles from a friend.
    Bruce Klein

KyleC

#86 Post by KyleC » September 2nd, 2020, 12:05 pm

Based on the strong recommendations I'm in for:

3 x Bard
    2 x Tempest (+1WL)
    1 WL x Falstaff

Regarding GSO, I've had mixed experiences. When it works, it's fine. But when stuff doesn't work, or packages get lost, they don't have nearly the infrastructure and capabilities to trace like UPS or Fedex.

OwenB
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#87 Post by OwenB » September 2nd, 2020, 1:28 pm

N. Justl wrote:
    September 1st, 2020, 1:58 pm
    How do these wines come? I am interested in picking up a few bottles of The Bard and The Tempest, but shipping 4 bottles is running $42 via ground. Seems kind of steep.
    Nicely packaged / custom cardboard, but nothing unusually heavy.
    KyleC wrote:
    September 2nd, 2020, 12:05 pm
    Based on the strong recommendations I'm in for:

3 x Bard
    2 x Tempest (+1WL)
    1 WL x Falstaff

Regarding GSO, I've had mixed experiences. When it works, it's fine. But when stuff doesn't work, or packages get lost, they don't have nearly the infrastructure and capabilities to trace like UPS or Fedex.
    Looks good. The Moonracers I've had have been excellent, as I said it's really just a question of value compared to the Bard. I think it holds its own with others at that price point. I'll probably pick up one or two.

I prefer the complexity of the Bard to the Tempest, but the Tempest is usually very approachable and a nice contrast if you're mostly drinking cabernet.
      8 A $ H A

Benny P
      GCC Member
      GCC Member

#88 Post by Benny P » September 2nd, 2020, 1:39 pm

For the time being, I'm in for 2 x Tempest and 6 x Bard. However, I may swap out the 2 of the Bards for a Moonracer or two. Still debating on the jump up to the Moonracer.

Looking forward to the live virtual tasting related to this release where I'm sure I'll be convinced to make the jump up to the Moonracer.
      Ben P@scu@l

OwenB
      GCC Member
      GCC Member

#89 Post by OwenB » September 7th, 2020, 2:34 pm

For those who are interested, strong ratings and a very complimentary write up from Vinous (AG) today.
        8 A $ H A

blarmston

#90 Post by blarmston » September 7th, 2020, 3:28 pm

OwenB wrote:
        September 7th, 2020, 2:34 pm
        For those who are interested, strong ratings and a very complimentary write up from Vinous (AG) today.
        Are you able to post scores and TN’s? Or if that would get you “in trouble”, just scores?
        -Brian Armston

Chris H.
        GCC Member
        GCC Member

#91 Post by Chris H. » September 7th, 2020, 4:13 pm

Hi, the Vinous ratings are:

The Bard - 98
        Moonracer - 97+
        Falstaff - 97
        The Tempest - 96

Very interesting the Galloni and Dunnuck were both at 98 for The Bard! I find Dunnuck at least a point or two higher usually--especially with Myriad/Quivet, for example.
        H a r r i s

Chris H.
        GCC Member
        GCC Member

#92 Post by Chris H. » September 7th, 2020, 4:13 pm

blarmston wrote:
        September 7th, 2020, 3:28 pm
        OwenB wrote:
        September 7th, 2020, 2:34 pm
        Are you able to post scores and TN’s? Or if that would get you “in trouble”, just scores?
        Just posted in the thread, forgot to quote this question, blarmston.
        H a r r i s

blarmston

#93 Post by blarmston » September 7th, 2020, 4:24 pm

Thanks Chris!
        -Brian Armston

Chris H.
        GCC Member
        GCC Member

#94 Post by Chris H. » September 8th, 2020, 6:50 am

blarmston wrote:
        September 7th, 2020, 4:24 pm
        Thanks Chris!
        You're welcome!
        H a r r i s

Brent S
        GCC Member
        GCC Member

#95 Post by Brent S » September 8th, 2020, 8:56 pm

Bard - if you were on the fence, you aren’t anymore with those identical 98 reviews.

Anyone find it interesting that Lisa (Parker) didn’t review the 2017’s?
        Br@nt $prenkle

Nicholas C

#96 Post by Nicholas C » September 8th, 2020, 9:32 pm

Brent S wrote:
        September 8th, 2020, 8:56 pm
        Bard - if you were on the fence, you aren’t anymore with those identical 98 reviews.

Anyone find it interesting that Lisa (Parker) didn’t review the 2017’s?
        Yeah it is interesting, but sometimes critics fall behind at certain estates.
        I did ping her about it and if she was going to do the 2018s but haven't heard back yet.
        [ 0 0 p 3 r

scott.becker
        GCC Member
        GCC Member

#97 Post by scott.becker » September 8th, 2020, 11:11 pm

Benoit and I are tasting with Lisa on Friday. She asked to taste all of 2017 and 2018.
        Realm Cellars

Nicholas C

#98 Post by Nicholas C » September 8th, 2020, 11:20 pm

scott.becker wrote:
        September 8th, 2020, 11:11 pm
        Benoit and I are tasting with Lisa on Friday. She asked to taste all of 2017 and 2018.
        Thanks Scott, and good zoom call today with Karen.

Not that it really changes anything for me.. but do you think Lisa will release scores before the fall allocation window closes? Or will it be for later publication
        [ 0 0 p 3 r

Bdklein
        GCC Member
        GCC Member

#99 Post by Bdklein » September 9th, 2020, 4:14 am

Taking 2 bottles of the Bard-certainly getting great wine with good value (relative to the price point).
        Bruce Klein

JohnP

#100 Post by JohnP » September 9th, 2020, 9:25 am

Friday's a fruit day! I'm calling triple 98s on 18' The Bard [dance2.gif]
        Attachments
        Friday.jpg
        John Pollard

Return to “Wine Talk”