NSG Fans?

For some reason, as much as I love Burg, I haven’t been able to get into NSG reds. Admittedly I haven’t had a ton, my focus over the years has always been on Vosne and Gevrey. But I’ve tried several older and younger CM and NSG lately. I can certainly see the attraction with CM, but can’t get with NSG, to the point that when I see an offer for a release from NSG, I just immediately discard it. What’s wrong with me? What should I be drinking from that area?

producer over village deadhorse

posted a note earlier today on a delightful Nuits that showed more like a Vosne in character than a stereotypical Nuits. It’s important to remember that the lines that demarcate different villages/vineyards don’t exist in the hard-and-fast way that the appellation system implies.

Try Arnoux-Lachaux NSG. Much more elegant than the Nuits stereotype would make you think.

Chevillon would probably be your best bet–LSG or Cailles (Vaucrains also great but can be a little grumpy and take longer to come around.) 99, 01, 02, 05, 07, 08 showing well now. Haven’t had much younger than that.

Also, the Boudots vineyard would likely be up your alley. Right on the Vosne border and is a Vosne look alike. a number of excellent producers and should be pretty readily available.

Boudots is the best deal in Vosne premier crus!

Mugneret-Gibourg

Have a bottle of their 14 Chaignots on deck to try… haven’t had a chance to taste their wines before, very excited

I love their wines. Hope that you enjoy it.

That wine is superb. M-G killed it in ‘14.

More generally, I have nearly the opposite reaction to NSG as the OP. I adore Chevillon and Gouges across the board (esp LSG, Cailles, and Porrets). I love Boudots and had a phenomenal ‘99 Grivot Boudots just the other day. (Purchased not too long ago for $100.) Jadot’s Boudots is one of my favorite bargain Burgs. M-G Chaignots is awesome. So is Mugnier’s Marechale. So is Thibault Liger-Belair LSG, and Faiveley’s too for that matter. Tons of quality across the village and it’s hard to spend north of $200.

The traditional producers just need time in bottle to come around, a mate of mine who is a well respected wine merchant here in NZ told me the same thing about NSG when he came to dinner a couple of months ago. I opened a 1983 Gouges Les St Georges for him that changed his mind.

What about NSG turns you off?

One of my favorite NSG wines is older de L’Arlot Clos de Forets (91, 93, 99). I also really enjoy Liger-Belair NSG Aux Cras (09 and 10 are the only ones I’ve had, have a couple recent vintages in cellar). This wine is much more Vosne where the de L’Arlot is more woodsy.

Can’t argue with Mugneret-Gibourg, but Chevillon Cailles is my favorite all time and Chevillon is the poster guy for NSG (along with Gouges, but more diversity of opinion on him).

Unfortunately I am also a Gouges fan which means… racks will be occupied in the cellar for decades! Most of them take forever. I figure that my kids will probably enjoy more of my Gouges than I will.
I had some Confuron Aux Boudots which was quite nice as well as Hudelot-Noëllat Aux Murgers that drank well younger.

I think that what helps NSG on pricing is the lack of Grand Cru.

The sentiment makes it sound like my problem is not going old enough! I had some 99 L’Arlot Clos des Forets recently but maybe I should go older. I will definitely try some Chevillon.

With regions of real class, that’s kind of my default answer :slight_smile:.

I like my burgs older, in general, but NSG, especially. I also have no qualms when a NSG gets pretty earthy. Fantastic to pair with. An earthy NSG is a beautiful match with Flannery and pan-fried mushrooms with herbs and butter. Simple pairing. Delightful pairing.

1993 L’Arlot with a BFF is my most recent with this strategy. Excellent.

With Chevillon, the Cailles tends to drink better younger than the Vaucrains and LSG. Same with most of the other 1ers. You don’t necessarily need to go way back, for example Cailles 2007 drinks very well, and all of the 2002’s I’ve had have been very good.

If you can find Gerard Mugneret Boudots or Chaignots, they are very good. Hudelot Noellat Murgers too.

I had the 14 Chaignot recently and it’s a very good wine, but be prepared for a bit of unintegrated oak - I believe it sees about 75% new oak. That’s not a problem, since the oak on Mugneret Gibourg’s wines always integrates, but early it can feel a touch disjointed, especially after a few hours. I love this bottling, for what it’s worth, but it’ll definitely benefit a bit from more cellar time.

Personally, I find that there are very good producers making NSG, especially on the Vosne side (Mugneret Gibourg, Hudelot-Noellat, Liger-Belair, Clavelier’s Au Cras and even Cathiard’s Thorey) and of course Mugnier’s Clos de Marechale on the other end. I’m less a fan of the southern portion of the village, but lots of people love Chevillon :slight_smile:

Seconding Greg’s observations, this is still a bit introverted, I would wait if I were you; or, if not, decant.

I think you will enjoy it. It is a beautiful wlne.