Daily drinkers: clean winemaking style but savory flavors

As we start to look toward Fall and I finish off my stash of Bojo and domestic Pinot, I’m looking to replenish my stash of red daily drinkers. What new regions (and ideally producers) might I want to look exploring at for some savory flavors with more clean winemaking styles? Sub-$40 with some $40-150 options for weekend indulgences would be nice. Only thing I’m not particularly interested in buying is domestic cab, as while I Will enjoy some this Fall, I have enough to last a lifetime already.

Obviously I’ve thought of domestic Syrah, and I have several of those laying around (though always open for more suggestions), but would love to hear more about old world producers (and other varietals) with cleaner styles or even new world in South America where I might like to take a look.

Thanks for any recommendations!

Cabot Syrah, if by ‘clean’ you mean no Bret but still want some meaty savory notes plus your price range-it really fits the bill.
Old world I was thinking Faury might still be in your price range.

Herdade do Esporão Reserva is a really reliable, balanced and tasty red at that price point (sub $40 in the States). It somehow manages to please everybody - plenty of ripe fruit, but with enough acidity to keep it in balance.

In the under-$20 category, several I’ve been enjoying:

Charvin - Cotes du Rhone ('16 or '17): Fresh, reddish sour cherry fruits with good acidity; great for any kind of Mediterranean food
Morisfarms - Morellino di Scansano ('16 or '17): Fresh, red cherry sangiovese from the west side of Tuscany; fruitier than most Chiantis, but with quite a bit of depth (I paid $14!)
Pecchinino - Dogliani: Darker fruit (plum, blackberry), 100% dolcetto from the appellation formerly known as Dolcetto di Dogliani; perfect with a pasta topped with just tomato, basil and garlic
Burlotto - Barbera 2018: Ripish black plum fruit with much of the acid you expect from barbera, but from a warm year, so the acid is in check (I very much prefer barbera from warmer years)

I haven’t sampled any '18 Nebbiolo d’Albas yet, but I’d guess there will be a lot of terrific wines from this vintage that are under $20.

Around $25:
Ridge Vineyards - Three Valleys 2018: This wine overperforms in 2018. Classic zin black and raspberries, all balanced without excess alcoholic; somewhat less “savory” than the other because of its berry fruit
Felsina - Chianti Classico: The '16 is superb if you can find it, and the '17 is no slouch; fairly concentrated, and will age, but they drink very well now with a bit of decanting or air time in the glass
Lucien Crochet - Sancerre Rouge “Le Croix du Roy”: Lovely, light style of pinot noir from a respected producer of white Sancerre; all strawberries, and a surprising amount of flavor for such a light style

I don’t understand what you mean by “clean” or “cleaner styles” other than possibly no brett, as mentioned above. Can you elaborate?

My usual recommendation regardless is almost anything from Antonio Vallana. Very pure nebbiolo fruit with a light touch and lots of complexity, absurdly priced in the $20 to $30 range. I love the Campi Raudii, the Boca, and the Gattinara.

Lot of Etna reds would qualify, but might be in the upper end of your price range. Stay away from the single vineyard ones and it should bring it down to 30-something, names like Passopisciaro, MunJebel® Rosso, I Vigneri Salvo Foti would fit the bill. Savory, rocky, and clean as a whistle pig.

Nervi gatinnera
Hudelot BR
Arpepe rosso

Brett, cellar funk, must - those types of moldy flavors that some folks appreciate. With the right food, I’m game, but for stocking up on daily drinkers I don’t really like it. I just want to grab a bottle that will work with my smoked chicken, grain bowl, takeout kebabs, etc … and not have to worry about certain flavors that, for my palate, need specific food pairings or (more likely) cheese pairings to find enjoyable.

trousseau from gahier, tournelle, tissot, or ratte should be a consideration

My recent daily drinkers that fit that bill:
Gigondas Domaine du Cayron red
Wind Gap Syrah
Azienda Agricola Platinetti Guido Ghemme Vigna Ronco al Maso
Latta Mourvèdre Upland Vineyard

I’ve been drinking a good deal of the Terre Nere Etna Rosso ecently and the Sean Thackrey Pleiades is usually delightful

I like Gahier, but I wouldn’t call it clean, necessarily. They can be quite bretty. Very nice summer red though.

Personally I’d consider some of the 2016 normale barolos/barbarescos. It’s a lovely vintage and some wines like the Produttori, Fenocchio, de Forville and others can be had for under $40. If you want a bit more fruit and a bit less structure, some of those wines from 2015 are also available and would be a good bet.

Some reds from a few different places I could think of that are pretty versatile food wines (and not expensive):
Thymiopoulos Young Vines Naoussa
Azienda Agricola Taurino Notarpanaro Salento IGT
Envinate Garnacha Tintorera Vino de Mesa Albahra
Donnachiara Aglianico Irpinia
Bodegas Tajinaste Valle de la Orotava Tinto Tradicional
Foradori Teroldego

And this:

Saint Cosme CDR tends to scratch this itch for me, and sub $20. Added bonus of some aging potential.

Domestically, Stolpman might fit the bill.

I’ll second Cabot Syrahs in this category.

The 2016 Alegre Valgañón Rioja is also really strong in terms of value.

Saint Cosme 2019 Cotes du Rhone is great value, paid around 8-9 euro. Should probably keep some time in cellar, but already very nice.

Otherwise I often turn to Chianti area, some great values here, e.g. san felice grigio, that can be found on sale often around 9-12 euro in Denmark. Have the 2015 currenly, and it is very nice for price point.

I like Cayron too, but not sure that I’d guarantee that they are ‘clean’ in all years.

Is what OP requesting really ‘non fruity, yet non funky reds’?

Not to push my stuff, but my Cinsault and Carignanes would fit your bill, as would my red blend.

So many choices out there for sure domestically - I like the Pax recommendation for sure, and would look at Sandlands, too. And some great stuff coming out of Lodi might fit your bill - especially some spanish varieties like Bokish makes . . .

Cheers

I’ve had three vintages of it and there was no brett in any?

Yea you gotta go back more than three vintages on this one. But I will say, the 2016 is fantastic and is also clean as a whistle.