midwest offline -- donnhoff, sociando, magdelaine, vcc, et al

WBer Mark Thompson was in town this past weekend and we had a rather spontaneous and delicious dinner.

There was something of a disconnect between the nose and the mouth of the 2008 Donnhoff Dellchen GG. The nose was stern and lean, lime and grapefruit, hinting at a tightly coiled pleasure to follow in the mouth. But it was not to be. The mouth lacked the electric tactile sense that I was expecting, and in fact was fairly flabby. Not a bad drink, mind you, but I have enjoyed lots of Donnhoff of all stripes over the years, and this was certainly the least dazzling. Strange, as I have held this bottle since release.

Another friend brought the Kosta Brown RRV pinot noir 2014. Served blind (like all the reds), it was clearly Cali pinot. Nice rasberry and spice, more developed than I would have expected (not in a bad way). I’ve never had one before, and guessed Williams Selyem with 10-15 years of age.

Next up was another producer I’ve enjoyed many times (though never this vintage): Sociando Mallet 1990. Not a hint of green, this was all cassis. Great rather brooding nose, and very long finish. Many years to go. Best S-M normale I’ve had. Had I not known, I would have guessed a classified Pauillac. A clear WOTN ordinarily, but, as we shall see, there were some tough comps.

The 1982 Magdelaine (courtesy of Mark) was truly special. I don’t have much experience with the property, but the nose was all potpourri in the way a mature rioja can be. Tomato, celery, mint. Struck me as very slowly slipping into middle age at 38. The antithesis of so much of St. E these days. Perfect spot in its drinking window IMHO – the vibrancy of a young wine and the complexity of an old wine. Delicious. My co-WOTN.

Mark also stumped us with the 1983 Vieux Chateau Certan. My other WOTN. This is astonishingly young. While clearly bdx, in spite of the sexy chocolate and truffle elements, the wine had a tremendous tannic backbone that led me more to cab sauv and the left bank than the right. I couldn’t get over the grip this 37-year-old merlot from an “OK” vintage still possessed.

Somewhere in the mix too were two modestly flawed bottles: 1990 Avignonesi “50&50” and 1995 Pibarnon bandol. I have enjoyed the 50/50 (merlot/sangiovese) over the years, but this version was slightly cooked. I am a bandol fan, but this version seemed perhaps over the hill in a way that rendered it nondescript. (OTOH, the 95 Pradeaux was delicious not so long ago.) Finally, a 375 of 1986 Lafaurie-Peyraguey sauternes to close it out. Nice up front apricot but a tad tired on the finish.

Kudos to Mark on the very generous pulls.

Oooooh, now I want Mark Thompson to come and visit me… Magic man with the Magic Bordeaux

80s Bordeaux is so awesome. Love when someone is truly surprised by a particularly fresh one. So glad the the '83 Old Chateau was on Song! 1990 Sociando (as you say) is a tremendous wine on its own, but when you follow it with a Right-bank afterwards, sometimes it loses in sexiness :slight_smile:.

What a great lineup!

Cool lineup and great notes. I’ve been eyeing a bottle of '82 Magdelaine for a while now and I need to find the right occasion to open it. Your note is certainly encouraging.

And the '83 VCC sounds like one to seek out. I love VCC and '83 is my birthyear.

Thanks for the notes! Alfert turned Viet and me onto Sociando and we recently enjoyed a 00. Need to try out the 90.

Love me some VCC and Dellchen, as well. Sucks to hear about the 08.

Very nice.

I’ve had the 3 Bordeaux before and the TNs pretty much re-lived my experiences. I have an 82 Magdelaine that’s stood up planned for for a stay@home dinner sometime next week.

Freudian slip?

Whoops! Fixed it. I had cab on the brain apparently.

Magdelaine and VCC. You drink well grasshopper.

Nice! I had the 82 Magdelaine in November; I didn’t think it was the best showing, but I definitely made a random diner’s night by pouring him a taste because he was sitting nearby. :slight_smile:

The 90 Sociando is indeed a lovely wine.

Ha! Once could make the argument that the 1990 is the best this estate has produced since the 1982. Gotta find well-preserved bottles, however. Find a 2001 as well, so love this vintage.

To the OP, killer night man, what a line-up!

That’s a really stunning spectrum of wines for a casual get together.

What a great time!—I had a blast with you guys and the wines were awesome. I was originally going to guess ‘85 Pichon Lalande for the Sociando. It was a beautiful wine that was every bit as good as the other two Bordeaux in my book. It also blew away a very good ‘85 I opened a few months ago.

I can’t wait to do it again—maybe next time in Chicagoland!