Labruyere Prologue NV Extra Brut

I’m a big fan of this producer’s rose called Anthologie. My retailer told me that they used to sell their grapes to Dom Perignon. The Prolouge is 70% Pinot Noir and 30% Chardonnay. With a citrus-ginger profile, while not particularly cerebral, this is thoroughly enjoyable. And at about half a c-note, represents real quality for the cost.

Mr. Monie, I recently corresponded with William Kelley regarding Champagne Labruyere. The wines have generally been of the radar having only begun with 2012 vintage. The primary holding is the acquisition of Domaine Christian Busin in Verzenay, which consisted of 6.5ha of vineyards planted to 65% Pinot Noir and 35% Chardonnay. Since, Busin had a loyal following within France, the Busin label is still commercialized (only)within France by Labruyere. Purportedly, Busin did sell to DP just as Producers like Ledru historically sold to Pol Roger. Labruyere also acquired a second, smaller domaine in and around Verzenay, so the Busin estate does not comprise the entirety of the wine. Surprisingly, given that Verzenay is most known for Pinot Noir, purportedly the oldest vines from the Busin estate are Chardonnay, which go into Labruyere’s BdB called Page Blanche, if my spelling serves me. Page Blanche was the smallest production Cuvee in the range, although I recently learned there is now a fourth cuvee, and I am not familiar with production size. Just as Selosse employs used, Domaine Leflaive barrels, Labruyere employs used, Montrachet, Chevalier-Montrachet, etc. barrels chez Domaine Jacques Prieur also owned by Labruyere.

Emile, thanks for the insight above! I recently discovered this champagne through a friend’s recommendation at Central Market in the Dallas area. I’m new to Dallas and it seems to be a bit lacking in the bubbles selection outside of Pogo’s outrageous pricing for their good selection.

The prologue was a welcomed discovery at $46. It’s very dry so may not be for everyone, dosage of 1.6 g/l. It’s been a go-to of mine recently. Didn’t love the rose, but I think Central Market also stocks the Page Blanche which I will pick up next time I go.

Mr. Thomas, you are very welcome. Because the first vintage commercialized by Labruyere was 2012, and because they are aging wines 5 years(generalizing) prior to disgorgement, the wines have only been available for a few years. And there really has been no press regarding wines, so many Consumers are not aware of wines. Certainly as Labruyere gains more experience with Champagne wines will get even better. It is my understanding that the Chardonnay vines in the Page Blanche are 70-80 years old. The wine was poured by the glass at the French Laundry in Napa Valley for quite sometime when first introduced to the US a few years ago. Enjoy!

I also pick this up at Central Market in Dallas. I try to only buy when they’re having their “20% off Champagne” deals (when you buy at least 6), which they do about 3-4 times per year, including (usually) before Valentines’ and New Years’. When the Labruyere first arrived at Central Market, they had it on sale (for something like $36.99, if I recall correctly), and I was able to get 20% off the sale price, so it was something close to $30 net for the Prologue! I bought a mixed case of the Labruyere wines…but mostly Prologue, which I prefer to the BdB. I hear you regarding Champagne issues in Dallas (pricing and availability). Online is the only way to get decent Champagne at reasonable prices…

I’m drinking the Page Blanche BdB as I write this. And as much as I like the Rose, this is my favorite of the trio. Salted lemon on the nose, lime, lemon, and orange on the palate, this is full bodied and pure. I could easily see this BdB going up against a Champagne twice it’s price.