TN: 2017 Domaine Faury Condrieu & 1999 Guigal Hermitage

• 2017 Domaine Faury Condrieu - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Condrieu (8/16/2020)
    The more I drink from Faury, the more impressed I am with the quality of the wines, all the more so for the prices - always great value for the dollar. No exception here, a lovely Condrieu, stone fruit come to mind, especially apricots. Good verve and little fat, with a late push of waxiness on the finish that suggests a northern Rhône grape. With the constant floral aromas and flavors - definitely Viognier, and a good one a that. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

list][*]1999 E. Guigal Hermitage - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Hermitage (8/16/2020)
Decanted hr. Really a delight to drink this last night, and in full bloom. The main attraction weaves together a triple play of gentle blackberry fruit, strong floral components, and savory black pepper, with nothing standing out - blending together just right. In short, this is one of the better negotiant reds I can recall from Guigal and this is right at full maturity. Lovely. (93 pts.)[/list]
Posted from CellarTracker

Haven’t had much Guigal in years but always considered his red Hermitage and Gigondas the “hidden gems” of his portfolio.

I agree about your conclusion regarding Faury, even though I don’t think I have tried their Condrieu.

Hey Greg, If you can find the Condrieu, definitely worth the $50 price tag. However, the real gem For Faury whites is the St Joseph Blanc - runs about $34 give or take. The first bottle I had was good / decent the first night. recorked it and drank it two days later and it evolved beautifully. In hindsight, I probably should have decanted the Condrieu as well.

I like the Faury Condrieu, but also like the Saint Joseph Blanc even more.

-Al

Nice!