TN: Small & intimate Covid-era dinner (Chiquet, 96 Leflaive, pre-phylloxera Rioja)

SMALL & INTIMATE COVID-ERA DINNER - Chez moi (8/15/2020)

Jill & David make four. A 7-hour mini-marathon on the patio

To begin
Served with: golden whitefish caviar, radishes and French butter, mozzarella, heirloom tomatoes and basil (dressing included Arizcuren olive oil) and Veleta conserves - mussels and sardines

• NV Gaston Chiquet Champagne Premier Cru Tradition Brut - France, Champagne, Champagne Premier Cru
    A charming and tasty Brut. Disgorged 2012 largely from 2009 grapes. It was surprisingly un-spritzy with just enough mousse to provide some lift. This went down fast and easy.

Showcasing a great wine
Served with some holdovers + steamed and shelled lobsters with aioli

• 1996 Domaine Leflaive Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Pucelles - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru
    Fourth of my stash of this acclaimed 1er Cru. First try at about age 7 was sensational. Of the subsequent 2, one was flawed if not overt pre-moxed. The other just failed to deliver on its potential. This time, we hit spectacular. Opened 5 hours prior to service. The deep golden color and early taste were troubling. In time, it hit its stride in a Grassl Cru. The aromatics were mesmerizing. Just a whiff of oxidation, more than balanced by all of those mature wine flavors that I find foolish to try to describe. This was not about any specific notes, it was a complete symphony that was stirring and evocative - full of energy, intrigue and soul. Bravo!

Intermezzo
Hard salami and Serrano Jamon were added

No opinion posted here as this is a wine I may sell.

Main course
Served with smoked paprika and cinnamon rubbed grilled spatchcock ducks with cinnamon, pineapple, clove sauce and pearl barley and carrots

No opinion posted here as I sell this wine. It almost entirely Garnacha from 125 year old vines - 85% ungrafted, original rootstock. The vineyard is at the highest altitude allowable in Rioja.

Cheese and sweets
Initially mixed fruit and cheese plate (Saint Nuage triple cream), Istara Petit Basque & Comté); then homemade apricot Gateau Breton & drunken blondies

• NV Van Duzer Zephyra - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley
    A pleasant Demi-sweet Pinot Gris that is quite syrupy, lightly fruity and floral and short on the finish. Enjoyable if not entirely to my taste.

Posted from CellarTracker