Philadelphia Area Off-site Storage Options

My wife and I currently have a cellar in our house, but we are on the market and will most likely end up in a rental before purchasing again. I have ~400 bottles that will need a short term (1-2 years) home until we move into our next house and build out a cellar.

Unfortunately we are local to Philadelphia and it looks options will be limited to NJ or DE. Does anyone local to SEPA have recommendations for off site storage facilities?

TW

Tim - sadly, options are few. My husband has lived here most of his life and been ITB for a lot of that time and says there’s really nothing in Philly proper that he knows of. There’s one guy across the bridge in NJ who has been kind of a one man show for a while, but not sure if he does anything anymore. We’ve never done business with him.

We store at Domaine in NJ. It’s a bit of a trek to pick up, but if you are looking for somewhere to put long term agers to which you won’t need regular access, it’s a good option.

Domaine in Edison is only about 90 minutes from Philly, that is probably your best option…

I have great storage in Philly. It comes with the best food in town and they even deliver to NYC.

Scot Ziskind is who Sarah is thinking of The Guy Behind the Dead Guys Wine Society - Jewish Exponent.

There isn’t a lot of storage in Pennsauken so I doubt he has vacancy.

Comes with a high price tag, though, considering the two knuckleheads you have to deal with. :slight_smile:

In Bucks County, also store at Domaine, though it’s only a little less than an hour for me to get to Edison.

There is one in Pittsburgh.

Well, we accepted an offer today with a 5 week close. I guess I’ll be calling Domaine tomorrow.

TW

Thought this might be of interest to those in the Philly area. A good friend of mine and his fellow wine school students are working on a project to explore feasibility of a wine storage and wine tasting/event space in Philadelphia and have put together this survey:
https://wineschool.surveysparrow.com/s/philadelphia-wine-survey/tt-f0899f
Any participation in the survey would be appreciated

Congrats on your pending purchase Tim. What area will you be in?

And thanks for the survey link Phil - it would be great if they manage to make it happen!

Survey filled out [cheers.gif]

Filled out as best I could. We have no need to storage in Philly, but I think it would be a good thing for many others.

Filled out as well. Would love my storage to be in Philly or Delaware instead of North Jersey.

There are some key advantages to having storage that isn’t in the state of PA.

Sarah, this is true - and the group that is looking at this from a feasibility perspective have a realistic sense of the “challenges” presented by our (un)fair Commonwealth.
Thanks to all who have filled out the survey so far - and if anyone has input that was not captured by the survey, I would be happy to pass it along. I would love to see some storage and related wine experience options in the Philadelphia area, so the more evidence that can be provided that there is a demand, the better champagne.gif

Fair point Sarah. South Jersey storage with experiences in Philly is probable the best split. I think DE is worse than PA these days.

For people with home cellars, I absolutely agree. For us, 99% of our wine is in the house, and I keep a small locker for other purposes.

But for those who don’t have capacity onsite, I can see why they would want something in town where it would be easy to swing by on the way home from work (if we ever do that again) and pick up a bottle or two.

Along with renters and condo dwellers in the city.