Temperatures in Wine Coolers - Conundrum

I just purchased two Wine Enthusiast 300-bottle wine coolers, but I am perplexed by the temperature readings. The first cooler is about 60% full. I set its temperature at 56 degrees, but the temperature inside reads 63 degrees in the bottom rack and 64 degrees in the top (I used at least three thermometers, and all of them are within one degree of each other). The second cooler is about 75% full, set at 50 degrees but the inside temperatures are 57 and 58 degrees bottom and top respectively. It can’t be much of an air circulation problem because the temperatures are very similar top and bottom in both, but a 8 degree difference from what is indicated in the thermostat is troubling. Both coolers are brand new - unlikely a manufacturing defect ??? I guess I could always set the thermostat at 50 degrees for both and not worry about it, but I am perplexed. BTW, these have been running for about 20 hours after loading them (doors not opened).

Thoughts???

I would give them several days to arrive at an “equilibrium” temperature. Depending on the temperature of the liquid in the bottles when you loaded them in the cellars, it could take some time for everything to settle. That said, I keep my whisperkool set at 53, but the air temperature usually fluctuates Between 55 and 57. My cellarpro units are pretty much spot-on.

I think these units are supposed to rest before being placed in service. Give it some time.

I “rested” both the units for 48 hours before turning them on.

What is curious for me is that the LCDs show temperatures that are 7-8 degrees lower than what other thermometers measure.

So, when determining what temperature to store the wine at, should I go with the displayed LCD temperatures or what my thermometers show?

Go with thermometers you trust. If the WE cabinet’s LCD is odd man out, it’s probably wrong.

Isn’t it unusual for both WE’s LCDs to be wrong - and by the same amount? I have now tested 8 thermometers, all of which are within one degree of each other - and 7-8 degrees higher than WE.

Anyone else with WE units encountering the same issue?

My 166 bottle unit shows 55 on the cooler and several independent thermometers I trust range 54.8 - 55.3. Humidity has been 75-80%. I’ve had it since December ‘19.

Also, mine is absolutely overstuffed…at least 14 bottles of champagne on the bottom plus a magnum, top shelf is also double stacked.

I’ve been happy with it for what it is for me - a good solution while I assess what I want out of wine collecting. I don’t believe these units are intended to age Bordeaux for 30 years, and I’m not certain I intend to, either.

I’ve never had a WE cabinet but I would say that an 8 degree difference between the LCD thermometer and other thermometers sounds unusual and wrong. I would be ok with it as long as it was able to hold the desired temp without constantly running. Otherwise I would call WE. Actually I’d call them either way, but probably wouldn’t push for a replacement due to the delivery, loading and unloading hassles if the only problem was having to set the thermostat 8 degrees lower.

Do give it several days to reach equilibrium. Sounds like you are aware that the fuller the cabinet the less often it will cycle on/off and the less time it should have to run when it does cycle on.

How often it cycles on will also depend on the offset between the ambient air temperature and the temperature that triggers the chiller to turn on. Not sure if that’s adjustable in your cabinet. My CellarPro offset is 3 degrees. Temp is set at 56. Chiller kicks on at 59 and stays on until air temp hits 56. Cabinet is full and bottle temp fluctuates less than a degree. A smaller offset will result in more frequent, shorter cycles.

I don’t know where the cooler is located in your cabinets, nor where exactly the LCD is located, nor where the warm air inlet and the cold air outlet ports are located on the coolers. The manual was no help at all in this regard. :astonished: However this is important information that you need in order to determine if your bottles are located such that you have left a path for cold air to circulate around the cabinet.

The best way to check if the cooler LCD temp is accurate is to put one of your thermometers right next to the cold air exit port on the cooler. Put a second thermometer right next to the warm air inlet on the cooler. If both of these read higher than the LCD it is likely out of calibration. However if the thermometers now read much closer to the LCD, then air circulation is likely the problem.

Of course this all assumes your cooler is designed to circulate air. I know some coolers are designed just to have a cold back wall. Is this how yours works? If so it may be the LCDs were installed incorrectly and are touching the cold wall rather than measuring air temp.

Give it a little more time, 20 hours doesn’t sound like a lot to cool down all those bottles. Check it in a couple of days.

I’d wait about a week or 2 and then check again. This doesn’t surprise me, however, as I had the same issue with a wine enthusiast classic unit about two years ago. I monitored it over a few weeks, then contacted wine enthusiast for a return, which they were easy to work with on. I had a great experience with their customer care team, not so much with the unit.

I have the same unit; I have it set for 53 and I get 53 at the bottom only, second to bottom is 55 and the top one is around 60/62. My units are a bit older - it looks like WE did a small face lift in the newer units

I wouldn’t expect a high degree of accuracy between your settings and the actual temps - it’s just the way those things often are.

But I also agree you should give it a few more days before worrying about it any further – the liquid content of that many bottles takes some time to fully change, something which has been documented and explained many times on here in threads about shipping in warm temperatures.

Agreed, give it some time.
Also, what’s the room air temp? These units can only maintain a certain delta.
Look at installation. Is there enough room for efficient venting of exhaust air?

Two quick ideas.

The internal thermometer probe and yours are in different spots and may both be accurate. You may simple need to adjust the internal one to match your desires. Probe into liquid is the best and not too hard to manage.

Have you tried speaking with their customer service? Given the consistency of the issue I’d bet they can provide info.

How far back in the unit are your thermometers? My WE brand ranges from ~50 in the back to ~60 in the front. Because everything in my fridge is for short to medium term consumption (within 5 years) - my long term agers are in pro storage - I’m fine with that range. The temperature in each “zone” is pretty consistent - 50-52 toward the back - 54-56 in the middle and 58-60 near the door, so bottles don’t vary much over time as long as I don’t move them all the time.

Good point. My thermometers are close to the door.

Yes, there is efficient venting. The room temp has varied (with the current hat wave in California) but the 7 - 8 degree difference is constant. I have lowered the thermostat to 48 in one cooler, and the thermometers measure 56 - 57 degrees.

I bought them from Costco, so not worried about returns although it will be hassle to get new ones and load/unload them. Since both units have a consistent problem, it is unlikely to be “defect” but perhaps a “design” issue?

Couple of days later - same gradient :frowning: The units are coming on much less often now, as expected. Both units are full now. The 8 degree difference is still there.