tn: 2016 Nervi-Conterno Gattinara

Delightfully savoury, calm and even. Evocative nose of wildflowers, sage, mint and cherries. The palate is bright, fresh and juicy, with sinewy tannins and earthy complexity. It deepens with air and has a suggestion of licorice on the long tail.

What kind of drinking window do you give this Jeremy?, and is it worth the price increase

Price increase compared to when? Pre-Conterno? I paid less for the 2016 than the 2015, FWIW.

I think the 16 will be around 80 of our New Zealand $ per bottle

This is widely distributed enough that my local Total Wine has a couple of bottles available at around $50. What’s the production of this wine?

Hi Marcus,

It is an outstanding Gattinara from an outstanding year. It should age for many decades.

Cheers
Jeremy

For some reason, my local Total Wine has put 4 bottles of the 2015 on the shelves at $22. I bought.

In the 2015 vintage all the single vineyard juice (Valferana and Molsino) went into the basic Gattinara bottling - do you know if it was the same situation for 2016?

Nope, in 2016 they are releasing single vineyard wines at roughly twice the price of the standard bottling

Right, that could explain then the price difference versus 2015 although of course there can be a number of reasons.