WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
David Crow
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#951 Post by David Crow »

David Chow wrote: November 29th, 2020, 12:22 pm
David Crow wrote: November 29th, 2020, 12:11 pm
David Chow wrote: November 29th, 2020, 10:38 am Radio Silence 2018 just showed up on WA. Picked up 1/2 case; would have picked up more but already got too many The Ringer and Commission. Any care to guess the source? Is it Screaming Eagle?

https://www.wineaccess.com/catalog/2018 ... cfbdd3587/
Based on the description I’m 99% sure Radio Silence is from Realm grapes (see way upthread for the reasoning). I tried a bottle a few weeks ago and it was excellent.

On a related note, I had a bottle of The Ringer last night and it was fantastic. Easily tasted like a $75-$100 wine.
Glad you like The Ringer too. It was easily one of my favorite purchases of the year.

The Radio Silence you tried, are you sure it was the 2018? Or was it the 2017? What they are selling now is the 2018.
Ah, you are right. I was thinking this was a re-release of the 2017 but it looks like a completely different wine.

They don’t give many clues in the description but my guess is either Harlan or Dalla Valle. There aren’t many wines from Oakville that go for $500-1,500 at retail but Harlan and Maya probably qualify. The reason if say it’s not Screaming Eagle is because they say it’s a hillside vineyard (Screagle isn’t really hillside) and they say they’ve had many of the same team since inception, whereas Screaming Eagle has changed ownership, not to mention winemakers several times. Harlan and Dalla Valle have been much more consistent.

I’m curious what others think though. I picked up a six pack as I’ve been really impressed with all these Wine Access private labels so far and I just couldn’t help myself. With discounts I got it down to $30 / bottle.

David Chow

#952 Post by David Chow »

I'm on the same boat with you; I couldn't help myself as well. This may be their best private label yet!

It's so hard to decipher from their description, but based on their price mentioned alone ($500-$1,500), I don't think it's either Dalla Valle nor Maya as they have sub-$500 retail bottles.

Luca Giupponi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#953 Post by Luca Giupponi »

Suppose it's Harlan. How do you guys interpret the drinking window suggestion on the Radio Silence page? It says drink now through 2025, but any 2018 vintage from Harlan (or SE or any of the other "cult" estates) won't even be in its drinking window by 2025. Is the suggestion bs? Is the wine nowhere near what the winery sells? Both?

Curious to see how others on this board with more experience reconcile this.

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#954 Post by MatthewT »

lucagiupponi wrote: November 29th, 2020, 4:52 pm Suppose it's Harlan. How do you guys interpret the drinking window suggestion on the Radio Silence page? It says drink now through 2025, but any 2018 vintage from Harlan (or SE or any of the other "cult" estates) won't even be in its drinking window by 2025. Is the suggestion bs? Is the wine nowhere near what the winery sells? Both?

WineAccess always says this for the private labels. I wouldn't read much into it.
I'm a Turk

Morgan S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#955 Post by Morgan S »

Radio Silence has a view of Stags leap vineyards according to the 2017 description.. and nearly 10 wines with 100 points from parker. Kapcsandy, Shafer and Realm only ones that semi-close to that description.
S i n g

David Crow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#956 Post by David Crow »

lucagiupponi wrote: November 29th, 2020, 4:52 pm Suppose it's Harlan. How do you guys interpret the drinking window suggestion on the Radio Silence page? It says drink now through 2025, but any 2018 vintage from Harlan (or SE or any of the other "cult" estates) won't even be in its drinking window by 2025. Is the suggestion bs? Is the wine nowhere near what the winery sells? Both?

Wherever it’s from, it’s almost surely not the same as the winery’s own release, and Wine Access doesn’t make any claim that it is. They only say it’s sourced from that vineyard. In this case, it’s not clear either if it’s made by the source winery or made by Wine Access.

It’s most likely younger vines or second tier blocks from a top estate. That can still represent a good value at this price.

David Crow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#957 Post by David Crow »

Morgan S wrote: November 29th, 2020, 5:38 pm Radio Silence has a view of Stags leap vineyards according to the 2017 description.. and nearly 10 wines with 100 points from parker. Kapcsandy, Shafer and Realm only ones that semi-close to that description.
The 2017 Radio Silence was Realm, but they don’t say the 2018 was from the same winery and Wine Access seems to change up their sources year to year on these private labels.

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#958 Post by MatthewT »

David Crow wrote: November 29th, 2020, 5:49 pm
Morgan S wrote: November 29th, 2020, 5:38 pm Radio Silence has a view of Stags leap vineyards according to the 2017 description.. and nearly 10 wines with 100 points from parker. Kapcsandy, Shafer and Realm only ones that semi-close to that description.
The 2017 Radio Silence was Realm, but they don’t say the 2018 was from the same winery and Wine Access seems to change up their sources year to year on these private labels.
This kind of makes it seem 2017 and 2018 same vineyards but it's not definitive.

At retail, you’d pay between $500-$1,500 (per bottle). But the surplus grapes we nabbed came at a comparable price to the previous vintage, and that allowed us to maintain last year’s Radio Silence pricing while delivering the pinnacle of quality and taste.

I'm a Turk

David Chow

#959 Post by David Chow »

David Crow wrote: November 29th, 2020, 5:42 pm

Wherever it’s from, it’s almost surely not the same as the winery’s own release, and Wine Access doesn’t make any claim that it is. They only say it’s sourced from that vineyard. In this case, it’s not clear either if it’s made by the source winery or made by Wine Access.

It’s most likely younger vines or second tier blocks from a top estate. That can still represent a good value at this price.
Looking back at the 2018 Yesterday Oakville, I think they used the same grape source for this 2018 Radio Silence.

Here's Yesterday's description: https://www.wineaccess.com/catalog/2018 ... 7ea7787ce/

K. Tr@n

#960 Post by K. Tr@n »

I bought some 2018 Radio Silence.
FI. h @ ñ 9

Evan Tunis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#961 Post by Evan Tunis »

K. Tr@n wrote: November 29th, 2020, 6:34 pm I bought some 2018 Radio Silence.

Bought a half a case as well

Larry Chmel
GCC Member
GCC Member

#962 Post by Larry Chmel »

Does anybody have a summary of where you believe the fruit for 18 Editorial, 18 Yesterday, and 18 Commission originate and how they are drinking? Too lazy to backtrack the thread but will do so if a summary is not available.
Thanks

Kevin Patrick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#963 Post by Kevin Patrick »

18 Yesterday Oakville (Napa Label) -- Harlan
18 Yesterday Howell Mountain -- Dana Estates grapes; wine made by TRB
18 Commission -- Bryant Family

Sherri S h a p i r o
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#964 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o »

Other than the Amex Offers (mine is also $20/$200), is there any other discount that can be stacked for existing customers?

HoosJustinG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#965 Post by HoosJustinG »

I think the 2018 basically has to be Harlan if the description is accurate. $1500 is roughly the price you’ll see Harlan sold for at the retailers that get an allocation (thought it’s about 50% higher than even the high mailing list price). Even Dalla Valle’s MDV (only made in 13, 16 and now 18) doesn’t go for nearly $1500 — even on the secondary market.

But my question is how good can it be if it’s not good enough for Harlan’s Mascot wine which goes just over a hundred bucks? Can it be a good value at 20 bucks? Maybe. At nearly 50 that’s a tough sell. There are good Napa Cabernets in the $50 ballpark (not tons of them but they do exist).
I'm a good man ... in fact, it's my last name

Luca Giupponi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#966 Post by Luca Giupponi »

HoosJustinG wrote: November 30th, 2020, 2:01 pm But my question is how good can it be if it’s not good enough for Harlan’s Mascot wine which goes just over a hundred bucks? Can it be a good value at 20 bucks? Maybe. At nearly 50 that’s a tough sell. There are good Napa Cabernets in the $50 ballpark (not tons of them but they do exist).
That’s a great question. Curious to see what people think of this. I guess I’m starting to wonder about the quality of all these white labels miracle deals....

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#967 Post by Scott Brunson »

Sherri S h a p i r o wrote: November 30th, 2020, 7:23 am Other than the Amex Offers (mine is also $20/$200), is there any other discount that can be stacked for existing customers?
Is the 20% sale still in effect?
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

Eric White
GCC Member
GCC Member

#968 Post by Eric White »

lucagiupponi wrote: November 30th, 2020, 4:38 pm
HoosJustinG wrote: November 30th, 2020, 2:01 pm But my question is how good can it be if it’s not good enough for Harlan’s Mascot wine which goes just over a hundred bucks? Can it be a good value at 20 bucks? Maybe. At nearly 50 that’s a tough sell. There are good Napa Cabernets in the $50 ballpark (not tons of them but they do exist).
That’s a great question. Curious to see what people think of this. I guess I’m starting to wonder about the quality of all these white labels miracle deals....
exactly this! I can go buy a Neal Family Cab for <$50 bucks right now, and I know what I'm getting. Why should I take a flyer on a generic label at this price point?

Sherri S h a p i r o
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#969 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o »

Scott Brunson wrote: November 30th, 2020, 4:43 pm
Sherri S h a p i r o wrote: November 30th, 2020, 7:23 am Other than the Amex Offers (mine is also $20/$200), is there any other discount that can be stacked for existing customers?
I did get 20% on an order placed earlier today. I wasn't sure it applied to "limited time" offers.

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#970 Post by Scott Brunson »

Sherri S h a p i r o wrote: November 30th, 2020, 5:09 pm
Scott Brunson wrote: November 30th, 2020, 4:43 pm
I did get 20% on an order placed earlier today. I wasn't sure it applied to "limited time" offers.
I think you are correct
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

David Chow

#971 Post by David Chow »

Amanda McCrossin has her review of the 2018 Radio Silence on Youtube. She stated the wine tasted like $200+ bottle. Really tempted to add more now.

Here's the link:

David Crow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#972 Post by David Crow »

Eric White wrote: November 30th, 2020, 4:46 pm
lucagiupponi wrote: November 30th, 2020, 4:38 pm
exactly this! I can go buy a Neal Family Cab for <$50 bucks right now, and I know what I'm getting. Why should I take a flyer on a generic label at this price point?
I’m not sure it’s right to assume that this wine “isn’t good enough for the Mascot.” In a lot of cases wineries may want to get rid of perfectly good excess wine, especially in a year like 2018 where crops were much higher than normal.

In many cases wineries have a certain amount of wine they I typically sell and it doesn’t make sense to increase production significantly just because they have more grapes. This is probably more true now than ever since I think Harlan sells a lot through high end restaurants that have probably eliminated all new wine buying right now.

It’s also possible a wine is perfectly good but just doesn’t “fit” in a with the rest of the blend. That doesn’t make it necessarily inferior.

With all of that said, that doesn’t necessarily mean this wine will be any good, but given I’ve tried four other Wine Access private labels (17 Radio Silence, 18 Yesterday, 18 Editorial, and 18 The Ringer) and found for my palate all have way over delivered for the price, I’m willing to take another one on faith and pick up a few bottles.

Finally, if you strategize a bit you can often get significant discounts on these wines. I picked up six bottles of the 18 Radio Silence at $42 retail price (after the half case discount). But then applied a $50 off $200 and Amex $20 off $200 to reduce the price by $70, which brought it to $30 / bottle. I also happened to hit $1000 total Wine Access spend with this order which brought me another $100 credit, so if you consider that credit applied to this order my per bottle cost is $14. Not bad for Harlan juice.

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#973 Post by MatthewT »

I got 6 Radio Silence. I think this one is a special one. I'd note the price point is actually the highest they have charged this year for a private label.
I'm a Turk

Peter C.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#974 Post by Peter C. »

David Chow wrote: November 30th, 2020, 8:51 pm Amanda McCrossin has her review of the 2018 Radio Silence on Youtube. She stated the wine tasted like $200+ bottle. Really tempted to add more now.

Here's the link:
Just realize she's on the payroll in some fashion...you probably know but just in case. Not saying her opinion isn't valid, but for one of the Yesterdays she was pimping it as a 'great Xmas present.' Not exactly what you want to tell wine geeks to market a wine, but I'm sure 95% of their clientele aren't chasing codes and referral credits like us losers. [cheers.gif]
( z y ® y ( @

Frank Z
GCC Member
GCC Member

#975 Post by Frank Z »

Picked up 6 bottles of the Radio Silence 2018. Looking forward to comparing this against the Yesterday 2018.
Frank Zhang

David Chow

#976 Post by David Chow »

Peter C. wrote: December 1st, 2020, 10:10 am
David Chow wrote: November 30th, 2020, 8:51 pm Amanda McCrossin has her review of the 2018 Radio Silence on Youtube. She stated the wine tasted like $200+ bottle. Really tempted to add more now.

Here's the link:
Just realize she's on the payroll in some fashion...you probably know but just in case. Not saying her opinion isn't valid, but for one of the Yesterdays she was pimping it as a 'great Xmas present.' Not exactly what you want to tell wine geeks to market a wine, but I'm sure 95% of their clientele aren't chasing codes and referral credits like us losers. [cheers.gif]
I'm sure she's on their payroll. I also think she will not endorse anything that she doesn't like and risk losing her many fans/followers through the years. Her on the nose and palette is what I listen to and block out her other marketing gibberish.

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#977 Post by MatthewT »

Yah I think her integrity been pretty good. She does not review all the private labels.
I'm a Turk

m. ristev

#978 Post by m. ristev »

2011 frederic emile was just added...
mајкл

Rohit B

#979 Post by Rohit B »

MatthewT wrote: December 1st, 2020, 8:10 am I got 6 Radio Silence. I think this one is a special one. I'd note the price point is actually the highest they have charged this year for a private label.
Could've sworn you recently said you're "hard stop" done! champagne.gif
13 h @ n

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#980 Post by MatthewT »

Rohit B wrote: December 1st, 2020, 1:43 pm
MatthewT wrote: December 1st, 2020, 8:10 am I got 6 Radio Silence. I think this one is a special one. I'd note the price point is actually the highest they have charged this year for a private label.
Could've sworn you recently said you're "hard stop" done! champagne.gif
I did. I did. That was more for dN though. But I *really* can't buy any more wine.
I'm a Turk

Andreas Birnik
GCC Member
GCC Member

#981 Post by Andreas Birnik »

We did an industry tasting event this past Saturday for 12 people, including with a Master of Wine (MW), for 11 private labels from Wine Access and the results were very encouraging.
The top performers were as follows - median scores shown across 12 people on the Vivino scoring range:

2018 Radio Silence: 4.5 (guessing Harlan Estate)
2018 The Commission: 4.5 (guessing Bryant Family Vineyard)
2018 Echoes in the Canyon: 4.5 (guessing Vine Cliff - corrected from Seavey Vineyard)
2016 Concept Album: 4.5 (guessing Hidden Ridge Vineyard / Immortal Estate)
2017 Off the Cuff: 4.3 (no precision guess)
2018 The Editorial: 4.0 (no precision guess)
2018 The Cosmologist: 4.0 (no precision guess)

We then had a smattering of other scores down to as low as 3.0 and 3.5 median scores for the rest of the wines.
Suffice to say, there are some really solid wines released by Wine Access and the first four are our favorites.
Note that we did not taste 2018 Yesterday (Oakville), 2018 Yesterday (Howell Mountain), 2018 The Ringer or 2017 Radio Silence.
Last edited by Andreas Birnik on December 3rd, 2020, 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rohit B

#982 Post by Rohit B »

I believe the law/rule for labeling an AVA on the bottle is 85% of the grapes have to come from that designated AVA.

Does that mean 2018 Radio Silence or 2018 Yesterday don't have 85% grapes from Oakville? By comparison, Yesterday Howell Mountain was labeled Howell Mountain. These other ones just say Napa Valley.
13 h @ n

David Chow

#983 Post by David Chow »

Andreas Birnik wrote: December 1st, 2020, 6:54 pm We did an industry tasting event this past Saturday for 12 people, including with a Master of Wine (MW), for 11 private labels from Wine Access and the results were very encouraging.
The top performers were as follows - median scores shown across 12 people on the Vivino scoring range:

2018 Echoes in the Canyon: 4.5 (guessing Seavey Vineyard)

We then had a smattering of other scores down to as low as 3.0 and 3.5 median scores for the rest of the wines.
Suffice to say, there are some really solid wines released by Wine Access and the first four are our favorites.
Note that we did not taste 2018 Yesterday (Oakville), 2018 Yesterday (Howell Mountain), 2018 The Ringer or 2017 Radio Silence.
This is good stuff. Thanks for sharing. I'm glad I got the top 2 at least.

BTW, how did you get your hand on 2018 Radio Silence so early? I think it started to show on their site on Sunday, and I'm still waiting for my order to arrive. Please do share any secret. [thankyou.gif]

Andreas Birnik
GCC Member
GCC Member

#984 Post by Andreas Birnik »

David Chow wrote: December 1st, 2020, 9:18 pm
Andreas Birnik wrote: December 1st, 2020, 6:54 pm We did an industry tasting event this past Saturday for 12 people, including with a Master of Wine (MW), for 11 private labels from Wine Access and the results were very encouraging.

This is good stuff. Thanks for sharing. I'm glad I got the top 2 at least.

BTW, how did you get your hand on 2018 Radio Silence so early? I think it started to show on their site on Sunday, and I'm still waiting for my order to arrive. Please do share any secret. [thankyou.gif]
@Daniel Chow - it was an industry event so not open to the public. Anyway, thought the info was relevant for the people in this forum.

James D.

#985 Post by James D. »

Thanks for posting this. Can you say which other wines you tasted? Particularly curious about Wolfe Grade.
D o i t

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#986 Post by Mike R »

radio.png
... 0 p 3 r

David Buck

#987 Post by David Buck »

lol...I caved and bought 3 2018 radio silence. Gotta have something to drink as I have to wait forever for the 8 cases of Cams Cabs to settle down [dash1.gif]

Might pick up some more of those Andreas review ones that are still available...That 2016 Concept looks enticing...

David Crow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#988 Post by David Crow »

This is great info. Thanks for sharing. Just a note that I don’t think your guess of Seavey for the 18 Echoes in the Canyon is right as that wine is an oakville designate, which Seavey isn’t, and mentions it’s right off the Silverado Trail near Dalla Valle and Plumpjack and founded in the 1800s. I think that has to be Vine Cliff.

Kevin Patrick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#989 Post by Kevin Patrick »

This is great info. Thanks for sharing this with the forum. If I wasn't done for the year I would certainly pick up the 2018 Radio Silence.

As it stands I have a couple cases of the Yesterday Howell and Oakville (tasting notes here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=174660&p=3122051&hi ... m#p3119027) so I think I am covered.

Andreas Birnik
GCC Member
GCC Member

#990 Post by Andreas Birnik »

James D. wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 7:23 am

Thanks for posting this. Can you say which other wines you tasted? Particularly curious about Wolfe Grade.
Also tasted 2016 Karo Kann Reserve, 2018 Moundsman (releases from two different single vineyards) 2018 Halpin but they all scored below the 7 wines listed above. Above scores are median values from 12 people. We were pleasantly surprised.

Andreas Birnik
GCC Member
GCC Member

#991 Post by Andreas Birnik »

David Crow wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 9:56 am

This is great info. Thanks for sharing. Just a note that I don’t think your guess of Seavey for the 18 Echoes in the Canyon is right as that wine is an oakville designate, which Seavey isn’t, and mentions it’s right off the Silverado Trail near Dalla Valle and Plumpjack and founded in the 1800s. I think that has to be Vine Cliff.
@Daniel Chow - you are right. My bad. It must be Vine Cliff.

Andreas Birnik
GCC Member
GCC Member

#992 Post by Andreas Birnik »

David Buck wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 9:15 am lol...I caved and bought 3 2018 radio silence. Gotta have something to drink as I have to wait forever for the 8 cases of Cams Cabs to settle down [dash1.gif]

Might pick up some more of those Andreas review ones that are still available...That 2016 Concept looks enticing...
@David Buck - the 2016 Concept Album is great and I got 18 bottles for myself after tasting it. As one of the 12 tasters, we had a Master of Wine (MW) who quickly singled out the 2016 Concept Album and the 2018 Echoes in the Canyon as his favorites. The 2016 Concept Album has the advantage that it has a few years head start compared to the 2018 private label wines.

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#993 Post by Mike R »

Andreas Birnik wrote: December 3rd, 2020, 1:03 am
David Buck wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 9:15 am lol...I caved and bought 3 2018 radio silence. Gotta have something to drink as I have to wait forever for the 8 cases of Cams Cabs to settle down [dash1.gif]

@David Buck - the 2016 Concept Album is great and I got 18 bottles for myself after tasting it. As one of the 12 tasters, we had a Master of Wine (MW) who quickly singled out the 2016 Concept Album and the 2018 Echoes in the Canyon as his favorites. The 2016 Concept Album has the advantage that it has a few years head start compared to the 2018 private label wines.
Can confirm that the 2016 Concept Album is awesome juice.
... 0 p 3 r

Peter C.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#994 Post by Peter C. »

Mike R wrote: December 3rd, 2020, 6:23 am
Andreas Birnik wrote: December 3rd, 2020, 1:03 am

Can confirm that the 2016 Concept Album is awesome juice.
+1
( z y ® y ( @

David Buck

#995 Post by David Buck »

Was going to order the 2016 Concept Album this morning. Got busy. I will order tonight...sold out...damn it...snooze you lose....

David Chow

#996 Post by David Chow »

It appears The Ringer 2018 and Yesterday Howell Mountain are available again. Will order some Yesterday Howell myself since I missed last time.

https://www.wineaccess.com/catalog/2018 ... 7a032ea29/

https://www.wineaccess.com/catalog/2018 ... fdc418723/

ScottieB

#997 Post by ScottieB »

2018 Echoes in the Canyon: 4.5 (guessing Vine Cliff - corrected from Seavey Vineyard)

Off the Cuff = Seavey
Editorial = Caldwell
Cosmologist = Skipstone Ranch
B e c k m a n

AlexO
GCC Member
GCC Member

#998 Post by AlexO »

David Chow wrote: December 3rd, 2020, 5:16 pm It appears The Ringer 2018 and Yesterday Howell Mountain are available again. Will order some Yesterday Howell myself since I missed last time.

What was our guess on the '18 Ringer again?
_________
@lex Offutt

Alan Eden - Berserker for Life!

David Crow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#999 Post by David Crow »

AlexO wrote: December 4th, 2020, 6:25 am
David Chow wrote: December 3rd, 2020, 5:16 pm It appears The Ringer 2018 and Yesterday Howell Mountain are available again. Will order some Yesterday Howell myself since I missed last time.

What was our guess on the '18 Ringer again?
The Ringer 2018 is from Bryant Family fruit (lots of clues that clearly point there), although it’s unclear who actually made the wine. The 2018 Commission is also from Bryant fruit but Julian Fayard made the wine.

I had an 18 Ringer last week and it was excellent, so much so that I picked up two more bottles with this re-release.

Andreas Birnik
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1000 Post by Andreas Birnik »

ScottieB wrote: December 3rd, 2020, 9:24 pm

Off the Cuff = Seavey
Editorial = Caldwell
Cosmologist = Skipstone Ranch
Thanks for the sources @ScottieB

Return to “Wine Talk”