WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
David Crow

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#851 Post by David Crow » November 1st, 2020, 7:36 pm

Amanda McCrossin has a video review up on Instagram of the Howell Mountain Yesterday. She raves about it and describes how it’s different from the Oakville Yesterday.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CHEXKnQn68 ... 639zdb2tlg

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#852 Post by Mike R » November 1st, 2020, 8:00 pm

David Crow wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 7:36 pm
Amanda McCrossin has a video review up on Instagram of the Howell Mountain Yesterday. She raves about it and describes how it’s different from the Oakville Yesterday.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CHEXKnQn68 ... 639zdb2tlg
It's worse.
... 0 p 3 r

Kevin Patrick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#853 Post by Kevin Patrick » November 2nd, 2020, 7:10 am

ScottieB wrote:
October 30th, 2020, 8:33 pm
Kevin Patrick wrote:
October 29th, 2020, 7:14 pm
Thanks to all those who have taken the plunge tasting the different Yesterday Cabernet Sauvignons.

I received my cases (one Napa label and one Howell Mountain label) and socked them away for some aging. Happy to share tasting notes down the road especially regarding any differences.
20201029_151640.jpg
When did you receive your Yesterday Howell Mountain?
That case arrived on October 15. It was a case sent in error when I had originally purchased the Oakville (labeled as "Napa"). Wine Access subsequently sent me the case of Oakville I had purchased.

ScottieB

#854 Post by ScottieB » November 2nd, 2020, 7:58 am

K. Tr@n wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 9:28 am
Mike R wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 9:18 am
I did try the Howell Yesterday. I didn’t think it was anything special and would not have been happy if I had paid $40 a bottle. Others may obviously disagree with my take.

The bottle variation in the Oakville is absolutely insane, so there is a chance I just got a poor bottle of the Howell. I’ve had four of the Oakville so far, here are my impressions:

1st bottle: amazing, one of my wines of the year. 98/100
2nd bottle: very average $20-40 wine. 87/100
3rd bottle: not as good as bottle one, but really good. 93/100
4th bottle: easily the worst of the four. Wouldn’t buy again. 83/100
I also had 4 Oakville. I was impressed by 2 of them. The other 2, I think they are $30 kind of wine so obviously not worth the $35-40 they charged.
This is why it's funny to see so many people cellaring these wines. A few years down the road, they will open, and find a bunch of bottle variation and all over the place. These are daily drinkers, not Harlan. neener

Can you open another Howell and see if there is bottle variation there as well?
Mike R and K.Tr@n -- did the bottles of Yesterday OAKVILLE taste like Yesterday HOWELL? Perhaps they miss-bottled some of the HOWELL as OAKVILLE and you really got mixed cases.
Last edited by ScottieB on November 2nd, 2020, 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
B e c k m a n

HoosJustinG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#855 Post by HoosJustinG » November 2nd, 2020, 8:06 am

So is the general thinking that Howell is a Hershey SVD made by TRB? That seems significantly more compelling than declassified anything (even if it’s Screagle) + whatever they chose to blend in.
I'm a good man ... in fact, it's my last name

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#856 Post by Mike R » November 2nd, 2020, 10:30 am

ScottieB wrote:
November 2nd, 2020, 7:58 am
K. Tr@n wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 9:28 am
Mike R wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 9:18 am
I did try the Howell Yesterday. I didn’t think it was anything special and would not have been happy if I had paid $40 a bottle. Others may obviously disagree with my take.

The bottle variation in the Oakville is absolutely insane, so there is a chance I just got a poor bottle of the Howell. I’ve had four of the Oakville so far, here are my impressions:

1st bottle: amazing, one of my wines of the year. 98/100
2nd bottle: very average $20-40 wine. 87/100
3rd bottle: not as good as bottle one, but really good. 93/100
4th bottle: easily the worst of the four. Wouldn’t buy again. 83/100
I also had 4 Oakville. I was impressed by 2 of them. The other 2, I think they are $30 kind of wine so obviously not worth the $35-40 they charged.
This is why it's funny to see so many people cellaring these wines. A few years down the road, they will open, and find a bunch of bottle variation and all over the place. These are daily drinkers, not Harlan. neener

Can you open another Howell and see if there is bottle variation there as well?
Mike R and K.Tr@n -- did the off bottles of Yesterday OAKVILLE taste like Yesterday HOWELL? Perhaps they miss-bottled some of the HOWELL as OAKVILLE and you really got mixed cases.
Positive they are all Oakville.
... 0 p 3 r

Peter C.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#857 Post by Peter C. » November 2nd, 2020, 11:21 am

They've got 375mls of Pierre Gimonnet BdB for $33 which is high, but if you have promos or credits could be a nice option for mid-week dinners.
( z y ® y ( @

Tyler F.

#858 Post by Tyler F. » November 4th, 2020, 7:19 pm

Tyler F. wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 12:48 pm
Has anyone successfully returned/swapped wines? I bought 4 bottles of the NV Laherte Freres BdB Brut Nature a few months ago and popped one recently. It was very disappointing and nothing like the CT notes others have used to describe the wine.

I emailed them to see if they'd swap out the other 3 (same disgorgement date), so we'll see what happens.
I emailed WA over the weekend to ask if they would swap out the other two bottles (with the same disgorgement date) and they responded on Tuesday. I am absolutely blown away by their response and customer service. They told me to keep the remaining bottles and issued me a credit for each of the 4 Laherte I purchased, even though only 3 had the same disgorgement date. They told me that they hoped I would find some bubbles on their site that suited me better.

I am not going to argue with the credit (even though it is beyond generous) and this is well beyond anything I would have expected. They just earned a customer for life!
Tyler Fabian

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#859 Post by MatthewT » November 4th, 2020, 7:48 pm

Tyler F. wrote:
November 4th, 2020, 7:19 pm
Tyler F. wrote:
Has anyone successfully returned/swapped wines? I bought 4 bottles of the NV Laherte Freres BdB Brut Nature a few months ago and popped one recently. It was very disappointing and nothing like the CT notes others have used to describe the wine.

I emailed them to see if they'd swap out the other 3 (same disgorgement date), so we'll see what happens.
I emailed WA over the weekend to ask if they would swap out the other two bottles (with the same disgorgement date) and they responded on Tuesday. I am absolutely blown away by their response and customer service. They told me to keep the remaining bottles and issued me a credit for each of the 4 Laherte I purchased, even though only 3 had the same disgorgement date. They told me that they hoped I would find some bubbles on their site that suited me better.

I am not going to argue with the credit (even though it is beyond generous) and this is well beyond anything I would have expected. They just earned a customer for life!
I really think they are non profit.
I'm a Turk

Tyler F.

#860 Post by Tyler F. » November 4th, 2020, 7:55 pm

MatthewT wrote:
November 4th, 2020, 7:48 pm
Tyler F. wrote:
November 4th, 2020, 7:19 pm
Tyler F. wrote:

I really think they are non profit.
Their customer acquisition costs just went through the roof! The boys and girls at Shark Tank would not be happy.
Tyler Fabian

Will J.

#861 Post by Will J. » November 5th, 2020, 8:11 pm

I’m telling you- they’re trying to be the Nordstrom of the online wine business; if everyone complaining about the differences in wine called and told them what was up they would credit you for any bottle you didn’t enjoy. They’re probably making a killer off these private label wines....
Will Johnson

Albert_H

#862 Post by Albert_H » November 5th, 2020, 10:13 pm

I have yet to open any of the wine access bottlings I just received, but based on customer service alone i'm quite happy I chose WA over de Negoce. The guys in that thread don't seem very happy with the way Mr. Hughes runs his ship.
Han

Will J.

#863 Post by Will J. » November 6th, 2020, 6:53 am

I’m about to get my first denegoce today and will let you know; I feel like the overall value and QPR of the denegoce will be better so we shall see.
Will Johnson

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#864 Post by Neal.Mollen » November 6th, 2020, 7:06 am

So when I scheduled to have a bunch of stuff delivered today -- 11/6 -- by WA, I had no reason to believe it would be creeping towards 80 degrees! Sigh.
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#865 Post by MatthewT » November 6th, 2020, 7:32 am

Will J. wrote:
November 6th, 2020, 6:53 am
I’m about to get my first denegoce today and will let you know; I feel like the overall value and QPR of the denegoce will be better so we shall see.
Yah that's the deal. dN is a much better value proposition. WA has much better customer service. I buy from both but it's pretty clear that's the difference.
I'm a Turk

David Kaufman

#866 Post by David Kaufman » November 6th, 2020, 8:00 am

For those that have used the AMEX offers associated with WA, I have one that shows as "spend $100 or more, get $30 back. Up to 3 times total."

Do you know if I need to make 3 separate $100 transactions, or if I were to spend $200 in one transaction would that trigger a $60 credit?

Eric White

#867 Post by Eric White » November 6th, 2020, 8:21 am

David Kaufman wrote:
November 6th, 2020, 8:00 am
For those that have used the AMEX offers associated with WA, I have one that shows as "spend $100 or more, get $30 back. Up to 3 times total."

Do you know if I need to make 3 separate $100 transactions, or if I were to spend $200 in one transaction would that trigger a $60 credit?
separate transactions

David Chow

#868 Post by David Chow » November 6th, 2020, 8:27 am

David Kaufman wrote:

That's a sweet deal. I'm offered $20 for $200 or more purchase from my AMEX. Here's how it works (from my experience from their last offer, which was a lot better)...for your offer, if you spend anything over $100, it will automatically trigger, assuming you've activated the offer. To get the best discount, I would break this into three transactions (of $100 or more). Even if you have three transactions on the same day, you will get triggered 3x.

David Kaufman

#869 Post by David Kaufman » November 6th, 2020, 8:32 am

David Chow wrote:
November 6th, 2020, 8:27 am
David Kaufman wrote:

That's a sweet deal. I'm offered $20 for $200 or more purchase from my AMEX. Here's how it works (from my experience from their last offer, which was a lot better)...for your offer, if you spend anything over $100, it will automatically trigger, assuming you've activated the offer. To get the best discount, I would break this into three transactions (of $100 or more). Even if you have three transactions on the same day, you will get triggered 3x.
Thanks, this is what I figured but wanted to make sure!

m. ristev

#870 Post by m. ristev » November 6th, 2020, 8:39 am

David Kaufman wrote:

this actually compounds, at least in my experience; ie two $50 transactions would trigger $30 back
mајкл

Jeff_M.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#871 Post by Jeff_M. » November 6th, 2020, 8:46 am

David Kaufman wrote:

If the transaction is $300+, it will trigger 3 times on one purchase. I have done this multiple times over the last year with various offers.
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates
2007 Yangarra Estate High Sands Grenache
1986 Spottswoode Cabernet
2012 Hartford Court Arrendell Vineyard Pinot Noir

David Chow

#872 Post by David Chow » November 6th, 2020, 12:30 pm

If you missed out on 2018 The Ringer, which I like, WA has 2018 Commission. I believe this is identical wine with similar source, Bryant Family, but with different label.

https://www.wineaccess.com/catalog/2018 ... a8a00ba6f/

Tyler F.

#873 Post by Tyler F. » November 8th, 2020, 12:03 pm

David Chow wrote:
November 6th, 2020, 12:30 pm
If you missed out on 2018 The Ringer, which I like, WA has 2018 Commission. I believe this is identical wine with similar source, Bryant Family, but with different label.

The Parker quote would make this Shafer.
Tyler Fabian

Amy R

#874 Post by Amy R » November 8th, 2020, 12:55 pm

Amy Roberts

Amy R

#875 Post by Amy R » November 8th, 2020, 1:18 pm

Question... I got this message when trying to purchase the 2018 Commission:

"Shipments to this region have a volume limit of 24 bottles (750mL) per Individual per calendar year. You are over that amount by 4 bottles (750mL)."

Last time I got this message, I used my husband's name and a UPS shop for the shipping address. Now, neither of our names/addresses work. Anyone else run into this problem? We live in Minnesota...
Amy Roberts

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#876 Post by Max S. » November 8th, 2020, 1:38 pm

Amy R wrote:
November 8th, 2020, 1:18 pm
Question... I got this message when trying to purchase the 2018 Commission:

"Shipments to this region have a volume limit of 24 bottles (750mL) per Individual per calendar year. You are over that amount by 4 bottles (750mL)."

Last time I got this message, I used my husband's name and a UPS shop for the shipping address. Now, neither of our names/addresses work. Anyone else run into this problem? We live in Minnesota...
Some states have limits for how much can be shipped to/from them.
5 w 0 m l 3 y

David Crow

#877 Post by David Crow » November 8th, 2020, 3:22 pm

David Chow wrote:

I agree the source for the Commission and the Ringer must be the same (and it’s clearly Bryant), but are you sure it’s the same wine? It would seem strange for them to offer the same wine under two different labels without acknowledging it.

I bought some of the Ringer and tried it last night and thought it was great so would be interested in purchasing a similar wine from the same source. But given storage constraints I’m not sure I want just more of what I already have.

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#878 Post by MatthewT » November 8th, 2020, 3:24 pm

David Crow wrote:
November 8th, 2020, 3:22 pm
David Chow wrote:

I agree the source for the Commission and the Ringer must be the same (and it’s clearly Bryant), but are you sure it’s the same wine? It would seem strange for them to offer the same wine under two different labels without acknowledging it.

I bought some of the Ringer and tried it last night and thought it was great so would be interested in purchasing a similar wine from the same source. But given storage constraints I’m not sure I want just more of what I already have.
100% not same wine. They wouldn't just create a new label for it. Would resell Ringer.

Glad Ringer is good I have 6 haven't tried yet. Also haven't bought this. TOO MUCH WINE
I'm a Turk

David Crow

#879 Post by David Crow » November 8th, 2020, 3:41 pm

MatthewT wrote:
November 8th, 2020, 3:24 pm
David Crow wrote:
David Chow wrote:

100% not same wine. They wouldn't just create a new label for it. Would resell Ringer.

Glad Ringer is good I have 6 haven't tried yet. Also haven't bought this. TOO MUCH WINE
You seem very sure. Have you talked to someone at Wine Access or do you have any actual proof. After looking more closely the blend and alcohol between the two wines is the same and the tasting notes are very similar. Makes me think there is a good chance they are the same wine, although not sure why they would offer under a different label.

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#880 Post by MatthewT » November 8th, 2020, 3:49 pm

David Crow wrote:
November 8th, 2020, 3:41 pm
MatthewT wrote:
David Crow wrote:

You seem very sure. Have you talked to someone at Wine Access or do you have any actual proof. After looking more closely the blend and alcohol between the two wines is the same and the tasting notes are very similar. Makes me think there is a good chance they are the same wine, although not sure why they would offer under a different label.
I've never seen the exact same wine bottled under a different label by the same winery...ever? But no I have no proof. It's likely different winemaker and/or different barrels/part of the vineyard.

Further, Ringer sold out. I'm sure they'd love to resell the wine that sold out and has good ratings on CT if they had more of it.

Feel free and email them. It's not the same wine.
I'm a Turk

David Chow

#881 Post by David Chow » November 8th, 2020, 5:59 pm

MatthewT wrote:
November 8th, 2020, 3:49 pm
David Crow wrote:
MatthewT wrote:

I've never seen the exact same wine bottled under a different label by the same winery...ever? But no I have no proof. It's likely different winemaker and/or different barrels/part of the vineyard.

Further, Ringer sold out. I'm sure they'd love to resell the wine that sold out and has good ratings on CT if they had more of it.

When I started this Commission/Ringer discussion, it was just a guess based on its description. While I'm not 100% sure, it does make sense to have same wine with two different label, coming from my 25+ years of marketing background.

@David Crow, you and I are separated with just a letter in our last name. Haha. Anyways, you mentioned you like The Ringer as well. How would you rate this compared to the 2018 Editorial and Yesterday (Oakville), assuming you purchased them and tasted them already?

David Crow

#882 Post by David Crow » November 8th, 2020, 6:27 pm

David Chow wrote:
November 8th, 2020, 5:59 pm
MatthewT wrote:
David Crow wrote:

When I started this Commission/Ringer discussion, it was just a guess based on its description. While I'm not 100% sure, it does make sense to have same wine with two different label, coming from my 25+ years of marketing background.

@David Crow, you and I are separated with just a letter in our last name. Haha. Anyways, you mentioned you like The Ringer as well. How would you rate this compared to the 2018 Editorial and Yesterday (Oakville), assuming you purchased them and tasted them already?
Yes, I’ve tried all three wines, Editorial, Yesterday, and the Ringer, although not side by side so making real comparisons is difficult. I would say all definitely seem very high quality and are excellent values. Editorial and Ringer seemed somewhat similar in that both struck me as very elegant and refined and big wines without being too over the top in any way.

I tried Yesterday twice. First was a Coravin pour that was pretty disappointing as it seemed a bit thin and I just didn’t get much from it. The second time I tried it I uncorked the same bottle I had previously Coravined and it seemed like a completely different wine. Much bigger with rich oak notes present. It reminded me very much of a Tor Tierra Roja Vineyard cab I’d had a while back. Definitely high quality but the prominent oak made it feel different than the Editorial and Ringer to me, which seemed more integrated and elegant.

I also just tried a 2017 Radio Silence (which I’m 99% sure is Realm fruit) and it was probably my favorite of all. I tried it alongside a 2018 Rivers Marie Napa Cab that had just arrived and they seemed very similar. I’d give the nod to the Rivers Marie, but both were fantastic wines, probably a bit more fruit forward than the Editorial and Ringer, but still very balanced.

I’d also say I’ve tried a number of De Negoce wines (#s 2, 5, 21, 42) and while they have been solid wines for the price I paid, none have been anywhere near as good as the Wine Access wines I’ve tried. That’s just my personal view, and these are all very young wines, but the Wine Access wines seem more complete and just taste more expensive while the De Negoce wines have seemed a bit disjointed. That being said, the DN wines are about half the price or less than the wine access wines, and at the price I’ve paid I’d say all are a solid value, but I wish I didn’t have to buy the DN wines by the case.

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#883 Post by Sean_S » November 8th, 2020, 8:26 pm

MatthewT wrote:
David Crow wrote:
MatthewT wrote:

Having worked bottling many times, I can assure you bottling the exact same wine under many labels is quite common. I've seen the same identical wine get bottled under as many as 4 different labels.
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY Candidates
1994 Ravenswood Petite Sirah Sonoma County
1995 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard
1999 Domaine Jamet Côte-Rôtie

YLee

#884 Post by YLee » November 8th, 2020, 8:59 pm

Sean_S wrote:
November 8th, 2020, 8:26 pm
MatthewT wrote:
David Crow wrote:

Having worked bottling many times, I can assure you bottling the exact same wine under many labels is quite common. I've seen the same identical wine get bottled under as many as 4 different labels.
I can think of some burgundy wines that does this.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

David Chow

#885 Post by David Chow » November 8th, 2020, 9:19 pm

David Crow wrote:
November 8th, 2020, 6:27 pm
David Chow wrote:
November 8th, 2020, 5:59 pm
MatthewT wrote:

Yes, I’ve tried all three wines, Editorial, Yesterday, and the Ringer, although not side by side so making real comparisons is difficult. I would say all definitely seem very high quality and are excellent values. Editorial and Ringer seemed somewhat similar in that both struck me as very elegant and refined and big wines without being too over the top in any way.

I tried Yesterday twice. First was a Coravin pour that was pretty disappointing as it seemed a bit thin and I just didn’t get much from it. The second time I tried it I uncorked the same bottle I had previously Coravined and it seemed like a completely different wine. Much bigger with rich oak notes present. It reminded me very much of a Tor Tierra Roja Vineyard cab I’d had a while back. Definitely high quality but the prominent oak made it feel different than the Editorial and Ringer to me, which seemed more integrated and elegant.

I also just tried a 2017 Radio Silence (which I’m 99% sure is Realm fruit) and it was probably my favorite of all. I tried it alongside a 2018 Rivers Marie Napa Cab that had just arrived and they seemed very similar. I’d give the nod to the Rivers Marie, but both were fantastic wines, probably a bit more fruit forward than the Editorial and Ringer, but still very balanced.

I’d also say I’ve tried a number of De Negoce wines (#s 2, 5, 21, 42) and while they have been solid wines for the price I paid, none have been anywhere near as good as the Wine Access wines I’ve tried. That’s just my personal view, and these are all very young wines, but the Wine Access wines seem more complete and just taste more expensive while the De Negoce wines have seemed a bit disjointed. That being said, the DN wines are about half the price or less than the wine access wines, and at the price I’ve paid I’d say all are a solid value, but I wish I didn’t have to buy the DN wines by the case.
I'd have love to try Radio Silence, but I passed on it. So between the other three, I prefer The Ringer for its elegant style. Yesterday comes in second, and Editorial is my least favorite. If I didn't have 1.5 case of The Ringer and have storage space, I would definitely buy at least 1/2 case of Commission...also waiting to see what other wines WA will carry from now until end of the year.

Never purchased De Negoce wines. I'm quite happy with WA for their selection and as many have also stated, for their customer service.

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#886 Post by MatthewT » November 9th, 2020, 5:18 am

Sean_S wrote:
MatthewT wrote:
David Crow wrote:

Yes, I said the same winery. Not to be sold for different supermarkets/resellers as private labels. I'm sure happens all the time for lower priced wine. Anyway, this one is not. In the description they even say the label was commissioned for the winemaker. Why wouldn't he commission THE RINGER label too?

lol @ this conversation. Why doesn't someone just ask WineAccess? Then we can stop debating it. *NOT IT*
I'm a Turk

m. ristev

#887 Post by m. ristev » November 9th, 2020, 8:18 am

here is a new one, 2017 arlaud vosne romanee aux reas: https://www.wineaccess.com/catalog/2017 ... bf947add5/

in case you need a referral...price is pretty sharp when combined with amex promo
mајкл

Troy Stark
GCC Member
GCC Member

#888 Post by Troy Stark » November 9th, 2020, 10:22 am

Sean_S wrote:
MatthewT wrote:
David Crow wrote:

Well known occurrence in the industry. Happens especially in the bulk wine market (bottling several different brands out of the same tank). Can even happen when a winery bottles their own wine as two different things (think anniversary wines and "special release" wines - very often these are the exact same as something else available under a cheaper sku).
Insta: @lofiwineguy

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#889 Post by MatthewT » November 9th, 2020, 11:18 am

Anyway I emailed WineAccess and will report back. I totally agree can happen in Bulk Market and cheaper wines but I don't see why for same retail outlet. Makes no sense here. I'm confident I will be proven right here that it's not the same wine.
I'm a Turk

David Chow

#890 Post by David Chow » November 9th, 2020, 11:45 am

If someone higher up the ladder answered your email, then you may get a honest answer (though I highly doubt that)...but if it's someone in customer service support answered, then he/she may not know at all and just deny they are the same.

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#891 Post by MatthewT » November 9th, 2020, 11:47 am

David Chow wrote:
November 9th, 2020, 11:45 am
If someone higher up the ladder answered your email, then you may get a honest answer (though I highly doubt that)...but if it's someone in customer service support answered, then he/she may not know at all and just deny they are the same.
They had no problem answering this question with YESTERDAY's two labels no idea why they wouldn't know. It also makes no sense why they would do this when RINGER sold out and they would love to sell more RINGER! There is no marketing logic to re-label it and pretend it's a new offer.
I'm a Turk

Sherri S h a p i r o
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#892 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o » November 9th, 2020, 11:54 am

Will J. wrote:
November 5th, 2020, 8:11 pm
I’m telling you- they’re trying to be the Nordstrom of the online wine business; if everyone complaining about the differences in wine called and told them what was up they would credit you for any bottle you didn’t enjoy. They’re probably making a killer off these private label wines....
Will - check your PMs please re our real names policy. Thanks.

David Chow

#893 Post by David Chow » November 9th, 2020, 12:04 pm

MatthewT wrote:
November 9th, 2020, 11:47 am
David Chow wrote:
They had no problem answering this question with YESTERDAY's two labels no idea why they wouldn't know. It also makes no sense why they would do this when RINGER sold out and they would love to sell more RINGER! There is no marketing logic to re-label it and pretend it's a new offer.
Both were already on their "roadmap" to release on separate dates (I believe it was 2-3 weeks a part).

David Kaufman

#894 Post by David Kaufman » November 9th, 2020, 6:19 pm

Ordered some Commission today (among others). Excited to try

HoosJustinG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#895 Post by HoosJustinG » November 9th, 2020, 7:39 pm

If Commission Is the same as Ringer, they missed the mark on marketing for Ringer IMO. It seems highly, highly likely the fruit source is Bryant for both, but the winemaker for Ringer is - for all we know - an intern at Wine Access or some other mystery person.

They are telling you for Commission that the winemaker is Julian Fayard — a very well known winemaker in Napa whose own label sells for several times this price per bottle (and, frankly, I don’t think sources fruit from anywhere as noteworthy as Bryant). He actually makes a $200+ bottling from Pritchard Hill already from Sage Hill Vineyard. So this is either 1) The deal of the century 2) Younger vines or otherwise declassified grapes from Bryant (but if so, why would Fayard allow his name to be on the project?) 3) ??? Seriously I don’t really love options 1 or 2.
I'm a good man ... in fact, it's my last name

David Crow

#896 Post by David Crow » November 10th, 2020, 6:28 am

HoosJustinG wrote:
November 9th, 2020, 7:39 pm
If Commission Is the same as Ringer, they missed the mark on marketing for Ringer IMO. It seems highly, highly likely the fruit source is Bryant for both, but the winemaker for Ringer is - for all we know - an intern at Wine Access or some other mystery person.

They are telling you for Commission that the winemaker is Julian Fayard — a very well known winemaker in Napa whose own label sells for several times this price per bottle (and, frankly, I don’t think sources fruit from anywhere as noteworthy as Bryant). He actually makes a $200+ bottling from Pritchard Hill already from Sage Hill Vineyard. So this is either 1) The deal of the century 2) Younger vines or otherwise declassified grapes from Bryant (but if so, why would Fayard allow his name to be on the project?) 3) ??? Seriously I don’t really love options 1 or 2.
It’s a good point about why they would use Fayard’s name for the Commission but not for the Ringer. It’s just strange that the blend and alcohol is identical between the two wines.

I think the most likely option on the Commission has to be your option 2 (younger vines from Bryant or otherwise some declassified fruit). I think I remember Fayard has made another wines(s) for wine access before (I think called Idiosyncrasy) so he has a connection to them. And often winemakers will make wines at lower price points.

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#897 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » November 10th, 2020, 11:02 am

Is anyone aware of any active 100/300 links? I tried the one Mark M. posted over in the "coupon/deal" thread and get a "sorry/not eligible" message. I tried the "is offer/false" link and just get nothing, whether I try it with "limited time" wines or other wines - no discount, no message why there's no discount, etc. I've scoured this thread and don't see any others, but thought it might be worth asking.

David Crow

#898 Post by David Crow » November 10th, 2020, 7:35 pm

David Chow wrote:
I emailed Wine Access to ask if the Ringer and Commission were the same. Below is the response I received. I have very little confidence the person who responded knows the real answer. It looks like they just compared the tasting notes and descriptors.

“Hello David,

Thank you for reaching out to us. These wines are similar but are different wines. If you look at the sale bellow the Commission wine is a little more acidic than the Ringer. As well the descriptions of the wines are different.

2018 Commission Cabernet - Fruit Intensity 3- Oak Intensity 2 -Body 3-Acidity 2- Tannin 2
2018 The Ringer Cabernet- Fruit Intensity 3- Oak Intensity 2 -Body 3-Acidity 1- Tannin 2

Please let me know if I may be of additional help at this time.

Kind Regards,

Stormie”

David Chow

#899 Post by David Chow » November 10th, 2020, 8:26 pm

David Crow wrote:
November 10th, 2020, 7:35 pm
David Chow wrote:
I emailed Wine Access to ask if the Ringer and Commission were the same. Below is the response I received. I have very little confidence the person who responded knows the real answer. It looks like they just compared the tasting notes and descriptors.

“Hello David,

Thank you for reaching out to us. These wines are similar but are different wines. If you look at the sale bellow the Commission wine is a little more acidic than the Ringer. As well the descriptions of the wines are different.

2018 Commission Cabernet - Fruit Intensity 3- Oak Intensity 2 -Body 3-Acidity 2- Tannin 2
2018 The Ringer Cabernet- Fruit Intensity 3- Oak Intensity 2 -Body 3-Acidity 1- Tannin 2

Please let me know if I may be of additional help at this time.

Kind Regards,

Stormie”
Not surprising there. If it is the same (though I am not 100% sure), higher management has their own "NDA" from their support team.

Michael_H
GCC Member
GCC Member

#900 Post by Michael_H » November 11th, 2020, 4:40 am

Do you put a lot of stock in the descriptions they give with the rating of fruit / oak / body etc? I've seen multiple wines with a medium level oak intensity that see now oak.... makes me question whether or not they are all just created with a random number generator.
M!ch@el H3nd0n

Return to “Wine Talk”