WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Jeff_M.
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#701 Post by Jeff_M. » October 14th, 2020, 6:59 am

Would love to get in on the Mount Eden chardonnay they have but am waiting to use my referral credits on more expensive bottles. I am hoping they get some 2016 Hillside Select so I can snag a few more bottles with the discounts and Amex offer.
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates
2007 Yangarra Estate High Sands Grenache
1986 Spottswoode Cabernet
2012 Hartford Court Arrendell Vineyard Pinot Noir

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#702 Post by MatthewT » October 14th, 2020, 7:23 am

HoosJustinG wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 6:55 am
Wine Access seems to always buy fruit and make their own wine instead of buying shiners. I don't know much about the bulk market, but I would assume Bryant could charge a significant premium for estate fruit from Pritchard Hill compared to "typical" bulk wine from Napa Valley. After paying for that, is there enough money left in the budget to make a quality wine and then turn around and sell it for 30 bucks?
Yah I don't get it either.

Meanwhile, I'm considering 6 of these, LOL
I'm a Turk

Dave H.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#703 Post by Dave H. » October 14th, 2020, 7:49 am

HoosJustinG wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 6:55 am
Wine Access seems to always buy fruit and make their own wine instead of buying shiners. I don't know much about the bulk market, but I would assume Bryant could charge a significant premium for estate fruit from Pritchard Hill compared to "typical" bulk wine from Napa Valley. After paying for that, is there enough money left in the budget to make a quality wine and then turn around and sell it for 30 bucks?
Yea, I have no expertise either, but I would guess the margins are better on the private label stuff they are always pushing, which does make you wonder how much Bryant (or wherever) fruit is actually in the $35 bottle.
Hendrik

Phil M
GCC Member
GCC Member

#704 Post by Phil M » October 14th, 2020, 7:54 am

In for 2 of The Ringer, but I recognize that the description leaves a lot of room for interpretation regarding the percentage of Cabernet Sauvignon (grapes or wine) from the "cult powerhouse" vs. other sources....
Ph!l M@rx

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#705 Post by Mike R » October 14th, 2020, 8:09 am

I was gonna grab some of the Ringer, but honestly I have so much bulk juice at this point that I'm going to pass. I'm of the belief that wine magic is 70% in the making and 30% in the growing. These blends that WA makes are not the same thing as the wines made by the source. I suppose none of the private label wines sold by dN, etc... are either, but at least those offerings are predominantly made using the original winery's juice.
... 0 p 3 r

HoosJustinG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#706 Post by HoosJustinG » October 14th, 2020, 9:09 am

I’m not normally an NDA guy, but I do love Pritchard Hill fruit. I asked them if they can share what % is estate fruit from this “cult” source and any wine making details.
I'm a good man ... in fact, it's my last name

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#707 Post by MatthewT » October 14th, 2020, 9:20 am

HoosJustinG wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 9:09 am
I’m not normally an NDA guy, but I do love Pritchard Hill fruit. I asked them if they can share what % is estate fruit from this “cult” source and any wine making details.
I believe 100% of the fruit is from the estate. Otherwise it's just a lie. Only thing that might not be from it is the stuff they used to blend (non cab).
I'm a Turk

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#708 Post by Mike R » October 14th, 2020, 9:30 am

Received my additional bottles of Yesterday today. Also got the Howell Mountain wine, versus the original Oakville offering. Not happy at all, I have emailed Wine Access and will let you know when they respond.
... 0 p 3 r

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#709 Post by MatthewT » October 14th, 2020, 9:32 am

Mike R wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 9:30 am
Received my additional bottles of Yesterday today. Also got the Howell Mountain wine, versus the original Oakville offering. Not happy at all, I have emailed Wine Access and will let you know when they respond.
Wow, that is messed up. They have 2 of the same label with fruit from two different places!??!

I have another case of YESTERDAY coming this week, I ordered it in August but staggered the delivery dates. I better be getting the Oakville fruit. How did you know Mike? Does it say on the label or its the COLA?
I'm a Turk

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#710 Post by Sean_S » October 14th, 2020, 9:42 am

Jeff_M. wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 6:59 am
Would love to get in on the Mount Eden chardonnay they have but am waiting to use my referral credits on more expensive bottles. I am hoping they get some 2016 Hillside Select so I can snag a few more bottles with the discounts and Amex offer.
Hey Jeff,

If your a Costco shopper check your local Costco. They have been selling the 2015 Mt Eden estate chardonnay for ~$40

Sean
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY Candidates
1994 Ravenswood Petite Sirah Sonoma County
1995 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard
1999 Domaine Jamet Côte-Rôtie

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#711 Post by Mike R » October 14th, 2020, 9:55 am

MatthewT wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 9:32 am
Mike R wrote:
Wow, that is messed up. They have 2 of the same label with fruit from two different places!??!

I have another case of YESTERDAY coming this week, I ordered it in August but staggered the delivery dates. I better be getting the Oakville fruit. How did you know Mike? Does it say on the label or its the COLA?
Apologies for the crappy pic, was in a hurry. Its blurry, but you can see on the second line of the label, where one (on the right, the old one) says Napa Valley, and one (on the left, the new shipment) says Howell Mountain, Napa Valley.

... 0 p 3 r

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#712 Post by Nate Simon » October 14th, 2020, 10:00 am

Jeff_M. wrote:
Serious question, why does this matter? Unless I am missing some nuance about these referral deals, you save a fixed dollar amount. If you buy expensive wine and save 50 bucks, or buy daily drinkers and save 50 bucks, you still saved the same 50 bucks.

Jeff_M.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#713 Post by Jeff_M. » October 14th, 2020, 10:12 am

Sean_S wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 9:42 am
Jeff_M. wrote:
Hey Jeff,

If your a Costco shopper check your local Costco. They have been selling the 2015 Mt Eden estate chardonnay for ~$40

Sean
Thanks Sean. I will check the one by my house and another one by my office. The one by my house doesn't always have the best collection.
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates

Curtis Chen

#714 Post by Curtis Chen » October 14th, 2020, 10:14 am

Nate Simon wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 10:00 am
Jeff_M. wrote:
Serious question, why does this matter? Unless I am missing some nuance about these referral deals, you save a fixed dollar amount. If you buy expensive wine and save 50 bucks, or buy daily drinkers and save 50 bucks, you still saved the same 50 bucks.
Classic dummy post by Nate.
CellarTracker: Curtis Chen

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#715 Post by Nate Simon » October 14th, 2020, 10:23 am

Curtis Chen wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 10:14 am
Nate Simon wrote:
Jeff_M. wrote:
Classic dummy post by Nate.
Uh...excuse me?

Jeff_M.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#716 Post by Jeff_M. » October 14th, 2020, 10:31 am

Nate Simon wrote:
Jeff_M. wrote:
Nate. To me I would rather get an expensive bottle of wine I would otherwise not purchase at full price than daily drinkers. I don't need to clog up my storage situation with too many daily drinkers.

I got a bottle of Opus One last year for $215 using a combination of referral discounts and Amex offer. The bottle was $365 on Wine Access. I also got a bottle of Vega Sicilia Unico for $181.50 that sells for $350+. I think Wine Access had it for closer to $400 a bottle. I got another bottle that was selling for $400 for $250 with the same discounts, Domain Stephane Ogier. Again, I am looking to use these deals to get bottles I wouldn't ordinarily buy otherwise.

This is just my own warped logic. I have seen many posts for folks getting daily drinkers or just better deals on more bottles. I am focusing on higher quality bottles with these deals.
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#717 Post by Nate Simon » October 14th, 2020, 10:37 am

Jeff_M. wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 10:31 am
Nate Simon wrote:
Jeff_M. wrote:
Nate. To me I would rather get an expensive bottle of wine I would otherwise not purchase at full price than daily drinkers. I don't need to clog up my storage situation with too many daily drinkers.

I got a bottle of Opus One last year for $215 using a combination of referral discounts and Amex offer. The bottle was $365 on Wine Access. I also got a bottle of Vega Sicilia Unico for $181.50 that sells for $350+. I think Wine Access had it for closer to $400 a bottle. I got another bottle that was selling for $400 for $250 with the same discounts, Domain Stephane Ogier. Again, I am looking to use these deals to get bottles I wouldn't ordinarily buy otherwise.

This is just my own warped logic. I have seen many posts for folks getting daily drinkers or just better deals on more bottles. I am focusing on higher quality bottles with these deals.
Gotcha. Makes sense, in a somewhat convoluted wine nerd way, to which I can relate!
Thanks for explaining it rather than being a prick like Mr. C.

Jeff_M.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#718 Post by Jeff_M. » October 14th, 2020, 11:21 am

Nate Simon wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 10:37 am
Jeff_M. wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 10:31 am
Nate Simon wrote:

Gotcha. Makes sense, in a somewhat convoluted wine nerd way, to which I can relate!
Thanks for explaining it rather than being a prick like Mr. C.
All good. I was grabbing some of these more expensive bottles late last year doing this and also using wine.com's $100/$300 code paired with portals and Amex Offers.

Let me give you an example. I am pretty sure in the coupon thread I gave this example and had some good feedback from it and got a few referral clicks as well. My friend (not on WB) referred me to Wine Access. He got $50 off once I ordered and I got $50 off my first order. I had an Amex Offer for $50 off $150 spend on Wine Access, with that credit good 3 times. So I used that credit to buy a bottle of Opus One that was selling for $365. I got the first $50 off from the referral then I triggered the Amex Offer twice and got another $100 off the bottle. Final price was $215 + tax and free shipping. I referred my wife and used her Amex offers on her cards to get several more bottles this way.

For wine.com, when they had the $100 off $300 codes, we would pair that code with Amex Offers and essentially do the same thing. I got some Tignanello for under $100 a bottle when it was selling for I think $129 online. Wine.com and Wine Access are usually $5-10 per bottle higher than regular bottle shops, so these discounts are knocking the cost per bottle below retail and in some cases well below.

That is why I want to grab some Shafer Hillside Select for well below the $300 winery direct price if I can combine the current referral discounts I have and my Amex Offers.

My cellar is full of daily drinkers so I am not typically in the market for them.
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates

K. Tr@n

#719 Post by K. Tr@n » October 14th, 2020, 11:53 am

Mike R wrote:
I also ordered additional bottles a few days ago. Received the Napa Oakville version.
Why don't you pop one of the Howell Mountain one and give it a try? See if it's the same as the Oakville. Then hitsfan
FI. h @ ñ 9

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#720 Post by MatthewT » October 14th, 2020, 11:55 am

K. Tr@n wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 11:53 am
Mike R wrote:
I also ordered additional bottles a few days ago. Received the Napa Oakville version.
Why don't you pop one of the Howell Mountain one and give it a try? See if it's the same as the Oakville. Then hitsfan
Yah if it happens to me I will pop one and see if I like it. If not, then I'll for them to take it back.
I'm a Turk

Albert_H

#721 Post by Albert_H » October 14th, 2020, 12:12 pm

David Crow wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 5:23 am
Albert_H wrote:
October 13th, 2020, 4:52 pm
Anybody have any info on the 2018 The Ringer cab? Sounds like it's made with Bryant Family fruit. I bought 8 bottles but am thinking about contacting them and change the qty to 6. I didn't read the part about them buying the fruit, I'm assuming Wine Access has a winemaker and makes the wine at a custom crush? I can't imagine the barrels used for a wine at this price point would be of the caliber that cult wineries would use.
Based on the description of The Ringer it’s definitely Bryant fruit. To your point around them buying the fruit vs buying finished wine, I didn’t see in the description where they were clear on that either way.

Here is the link to the description:

https://www.wineaccess.com/catalog/2018 ... 7a032ea29/

I do wonder how the economics of these private label wines could work if they are buying fruit and paying for a winemaker, custom crush, barrels, storage, etc. It seems counterintuitive that buying finished wine already made would be cheaper but from what I’ve learned about the bulk market from following the de Negoce thread and others that are similar is that it’s actually far cheaper to buy excess finished wine than just buying grapes and making it yourself.

What is possible le is that the wine is primarily Bryant but blended with other stuff. Still may be worth it at $35 a bottle. I picked up four.
This is the part of the description that led me to believe that they've purchased the fruit rather than finished wine: "Let’s say the legendary X cult winery overshoots its yields one vintage, but wants to ensure total anonymity when they sell their grapes."

I just called wine access to see if I could get any info on the elevage but the girl kept referring back to the NDA saying that the wine is already made when they buy it so she's not sure if she'll be able to get any info on this. But she also did mention that the wine is aged in either stainless steel or oak barrels so I'm gonna guess that she doesn't know what she's talking about.
Han

Rohit B

#722 Post by Rohit B » October 14th, 2020, 12:24 pm

K. Tr@n wrote:
Mike R wrote:
Interesting, and so the plot thickens...
13 h @ n

K. Tr@n

#723 Post by K. Tr@n » October 14th, 2020, 12:32 pm

Rohit B wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 12:24 pm
K. Tr@n wrote:
Mike R wrote:
Interesting, and so the plot thickens...
Just open and try. These cheap wines are not meant to be cellared.
FI. h @ ñ 9

Kevin Patrick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#724 Post by Kevin Patrick » October 14th, 2020, 2:03 pm

Do I have to start a new thread to post a survey?

I am very curious what the consensus is regarding the current Yesterday wine dispute but don't want to solicit 20+ "yes" or "no" responses that spam up the chat.

My question is as follows, based on current available information and attestations from Wine Access, do people believe the Yesterday wine is:

a) Different labels and likely different wine in the bottle

or

b) Different label but likely the same wine in the bottle

I would have posted this as a survey but couldn't figure out how to do it in this thread.

K. Tr@n

#725 Post by K. Tr@n » October 14th, 2020, 2:16 pm

Even in the same batch, the variation between bottles are already huge. One bottle is completely different from another bottle. You can look back and see so many people have the same problem.
I just wonder if the Howell Mountain fruits will have that much variation. This is why it's kinda pointless to hold and age these wines. You don't even know what they are. Could be from different barrel and different fruits.
FI. h @ ñ 9

Rohit B

#726 Post by Rohit B » October 14th, 2020, 5:08 pm

It must be a different wine altogether, as there's a separate COLA and a different appellation on the label.

Haven't heard back from WineAccess yet.
13 h @ n

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#727 Post by Mike R » October 14th, 2020, 5:49 pm

Rohit B wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 5:08 pm
It must be a different wine altogether, as there's a separate COLA and a different appellation on the label.

Haven't heard back from WineAccess yet.
Same here. I have been getting responses within hours on the thread I have on the Yesterday wines. Now all of a sudden its radio silence.
... 0 p 3 r

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#728 Post by Mike R » October 14th, 2020, 6:08 pm

I opened one of the Howell Mountain Yesterday wines just now - it is definitely not the same wine. I struggle a bit, because there was a lot of bottle variation on the 3 Oakville bottles I opened, but this doesn't taste like any of them. Way more oak on this than the Oakville version.

It's not bad, but its not the same, and that is annoying to me because I explicitly asked them if it was.
... 0 p 3 r

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#729 Post by MatthewT » October 14th, 2020, 6:36 pm

Mike R wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 6:08 pm
I opened one of the Howell Mountain Yesterday wines just now - it is definitely not the same wine. I struggle a bit, because there was a lot of bottle variation on the 3 Oakville bottles I opened, but this doesn't taste like any of them. Way more oak on this than the Oakville version.

It's not bad, but its not the same, and that is annoying to me because I explicitly asked them if it was.
Yes, it's INSANE to re-bottle a dumb private label with ONE previous bottling as the same one, same year, and just change the subtle part of the vineyard on the back.

If CH did this they would hang him!
I'm a Turk

Tyler F.

#730 Post by Tyler F. » October 14th, 2020, 6:38 pm

Mike R wrote:

I've never tried them on their guarantee, but they said they will stand behind any bottle that does not perform. Was the variation significant enough to put any of them into the 'did not perform' category?
Tyler Fabian

Rohit B

#731 Post by Rohit B » October 14th, 2020, 6:44 pm

Tyler F. wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 6:38 pm
Mike R wrote:

I've never tried them on their guarantee, but they said they will stand behind any bottle that does not perform. Was the variation significant enough to put any of them into the 'did not perform' category?
I think it's less of a "did not perform" issue and more of a "this is not the same wine" issue.
13 h @ n

Andrew Ing

#732 Post by Andrew Ing » October 14th, 2020, 6:46 pm

I just got my first shipment of Baby Unico. Bottles arrived and they were perfect - not a scratch or a blemish. Only one shipment, but seems to be a step above the mass wine retailers. Good communication from the company. On time arrival.

http://share.wineaccess.com/v/andrew_77
Andrew Ingrum

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#733 Post by Mike R » October 14th, 2020, 6:50 pm

Tyler F. wrote:
Mike R wrote:

If I had bought this as a random private label, with a different name, I wouldn't send it back. It's an okay wine - not the best I've ever had, but I certainly wouldn't pay $40 a bottle for it again. Because I hate the idea of being deceived, I am going to send them back, regardless of the quality of the wine.
... 0 p 3 r

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#734 Post by Mike R » October 14th, 2020, 6:53 pm

Rohit B wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 6:44 pm
Tyler F. wrote:
Mike R wrote:

I think it's less of a "did not perform" issue and more of a "this is not the same wine" issue.
My thoughts exactly. Did you try it?
... 0 p 3 r

Rohit B

#735 Post by Rohit B » October 14th, 2020, 7:15 pm

Mike R wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 6:53 pm

I have not yet--waiting to hear back from WineAccess. I'm sure they'll make it right; their CS is excellent.

To complicate things further, I haven't opened the original Oakville Yesterday either. I visited my parents this past weekend and put all my Yesterday Oakville bottles in their cellar. Can't even do a side by side tasting.
13 h @ n

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#736 Post by Mike R » October 14th, 2020, 7:29 pm

Rohit B wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 7:15 pm
Mike R wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 6:53 pm

I have not yet--waiting to hear back from WineAccess. I'm sure they'll make it right; their CS is excellent.

To complicate things further, I haven't opened the original Oakville Yesterday either. I visited my parents this past weekend and put all my Yesterday Oakville bottles in their cellar. Can't even do a side by side tasting.
Please post here if you hear back from them, I'll do the same. The original was quite nice.
... 0 p 3 r

K. Tr@n

#737 Post by K. Tr@n » October 14th, 2020, 7:36 pm

Mike R wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 6:50 pm
Tyler F. wrote:
Mike R wrote:

If I had bought this as a random private label, with a different name, I wouldn't send it back. It's an okay wine - not the best I've ever had, but I certainly wouldn't pay $40 a bottle for it again. Because I hate the idea of being deceived, I am going to send them back, regardless of the quality of the wine.
Even if you got the Oakville ones, you probably are not getting the same wine. I tried 3 bottles, all 3 are different. I like all 3 enough to think they are worth the $30 or whatever I paid, but the consistency is not there.
Makes me wonder what is going on with these bottles. Are they different blend, different barrel?
FI. h @ ñ 9

ScottieB

#738 Post by ScottieB » October 14th, 2020, 8:01 pm

David Crow wrote:
October 13th, 2020, 6:43 pm
Rohit B wrote:
October 13th, 2020, 4:30 pm
David Crow wrote:
October 13th, 2020, 4:19 pm

I had posted above that wine access had registered a label in the COLA registry for a Yesterday wine that said Howell Mountain. I figured it was going to be a separate release and marketed separately from the original wine.

For the record, the original wine said Napa Valley, although it was clearly marketed as an oak like wine.

If Wine Access is now selling a Howell Mountain wine with the same marketing spiel describing oakville that seems wrong. Maybe they just sent the wrong wine as an mistake?
I must have missed that post. Can you share the link for the COLA where it describes it as a Howell Mountain wine? Was there a separate COLA for the one that only said Napa Valley or Oakville?

Either way, based on my prior experiences with WineAccess I'm sure they'll make things right.
Here is the COLA listing for the Napa wine:

https://ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewC ... 7001000487

And here is the Howell mountain one:

https://ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewC ... 7001000424
I looked up each of the following WineAccess 2018 private labels on COLA: The Ringer, Yesterday, Cosmologist, Editorial. Each of them has TWO listings. So these seems like standard procedure for WineAccess. It is quite possible someone made a mistake and submitted the wrong or incorrect label for one of the Yesterdays listing. Furthermore, they perhaps made the mistake of say it was Howell Mtn AVA when it should have been Oakville AVA.

Note additionally that the one that says Howell Mtn has a serial number (20K343) that is before the one that says Napa Valley (20K344).
B e c k m a n

Chris Crutchfield

#739 Post by Chris Crutchfield » October 14th, 2020, 8:29 pm

I noticed a lot of bottle variation for Editorial as well (opened two bottles, from the same shipment, maybe 2 weeks apart, tasted very different). It's weird that others have the same issue with Yesterday (even before the Howell Mountain stuff).

Chris Crutchfield

#740 Post by Chris Crutchfield » October 14th, 2020, 8:30 pm

ScottieB wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 8:01 pm
I looked up each of the following WineAccess 2018 private labels on COLA: The Ringer, Yesterday, Cosmologist, Editorial. Each of them has TWO listings. So these seems like standard procedure for WineAccess. It is quite possible someone made a mistake and submitted the wrong or incorrect label for one of the Yesterdays listing. Furthermore, they perhaps made the mistake of say it was Howell Mtn AVA when it should have been Oakville AVA.

Note additionally that the one that says Howell Mtn has a serial number (20K343) that is before the one that says Napa Valley (20K344).
What were the dates of each registration?

ScottieB

#741 Post by ScottieB » October 14th, 2020, 8:31 pm

I bought my case of Yesterday in August when it was first released but have not had it shipped yet because of weather. My fear is that I will be now sent the Howell Mountain SKU.

Has anyone else ordered Yesterday back in August and had it delivered recently? If so, did you get the NAPA or HOWELL version?

Also regardless, for the people that received the HOWELL version, was it from a recent order?
B e c k m a n

ScottieB

#742 Post by ScottieB » October 14th, 2020, 8:33 pm

Chris Crutchfield wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 8:30 pm
ScottieB wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 8:01 pm

What were the dates of each registration?
Both were submitted the same day 5/26/2020 and issued 5/28/2020.
B e c k m a n

Chris Crutchfield

#743 Post by Chris Crutchfield » October 14th, 2020, 8:40 pm

ScottieB wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 8:33 pm
Both were submitted the same day 5/26/2020 and issued 5/28/2020.
If this is a pattern that WA is doing, it's possible that they are registering the names prior to knowing which wine will be labeled with which name and designation. Also, given that they have never released 2 different wines with the same name and vintage, I'm guessing that this most recent bottling is really supposed to be the same wine as the initial bottling.

So the most likely explanation is that the wine is the same, or rather from the same source but perhaps different barrel selection, and whoever was in charge of printing out the labels for the second batch made an accident and picked the wrong one.

Peter C.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#744 Post by Peter C. » October 15th, 2020, 7:11 am

Why not call WA to get to the bottom of it? Or hit up sommvivant on IG who was helping to hawk the stuff - I'm sure she could get you an answer.
( z y ® y ( @

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#745 Post by Mike R » October 15th, 2020, 10:18 am

Got a response just now on my email. Apparently there was an error in the warehouse, and they accidentally shipped the incorrect wine. This seems to confirm that there are in fact two lots of the Yesterday Cab. They said they will be replacing the wine with the Oakville version. No mention of shipping the other wines back, but hopefully they include a paid label.
... 0 p 3 r

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#746 Post by MatthewT » October 15th, 2020, 10:38 am

They will prob just let you keep it for free. I have my case ordered in Aug coming tomorrow and can't wait to see what comes.
I'm a Turk

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#747 Post by Mike R » October 15th, 2020, 10:45 am

Just got another follow up - apparently the Somm lady on IG was correct, they are planning on offering the 2018 Yesterday Cabernet Sauvignon Howell Mountain next month, which is where the confusion came from at the warehouse.

Which, if combining the two, means this is a premium producer who's bottles start at $500 and has vineyards in both Howell Mountain and Oakville. Any guesses?
... 0 p 3 r

DanielP
GCC Member
GCC Member

#748 Post by DanielP » October 15th, 2020, 10:50 am

Mike R wrote:
October 15th, 2020, 10:45 am
Just got another follow up - apparently the Somm lady on IG was correct, they are planning on offering the 2018 Yesterday Cabernet Sauvignon Howell Mountain next month, which is where the confusion came from at the warehouse.

Which, if combining the two, means this is a premium producer who's bottles start at $500 and has vineyards in both Howell Mountain and Oakville. Any guesses?
I don't know if you can assume that it's the same producer until you read the description of the Howell Mtn one.
P@ik

Dave H.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#749 Post by Dave H. » October 15th, 2020, 10:55 am

DanielP wrote:
October 15th, 2020, 10:50 am
Mike R wrote:

I don't know if you can assume that it's the same producer until you read the description of the Howell Mtn one.
I'm sure they are just from different parts of the Screaming Eagle vineyard. [snort.gif]
Hendrik

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#750 Post by Mike R » October 15th, 2020, 11:01 am

DanielP wrote:
October 15th, 2020, 10:50 am
Mike R wrote:

The Somm lady on IG told me that there was a new release coming that was the same producer but a new blend "around Thanksgiving."
... 0 p 3 r

Return to “Wine Talk”