WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Post Reply
Message
Author
DanielP
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 774
Joined: October 5th, 2015, 7:21 pm
Location: NYC

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#201 Post by DanielP » August 22nd, 2020, 12:53 pm

It's gonna be grapes that didn't make the cut for the winery's second/third label. The description just says that the winery produces a cabernet that is on lists for $500+. I'm not a buyer for substandard grapes. If it were made by the winery and just didn't make the barrel selection, that would be a whole different story. That being said, it's not particularly expensive so it might still be well worth the price of admission, especially with amex offers. But wineries like Harlan are Harlan because they don't put these grapes in their wine.
P@ik

User avatar
MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1344
Joined: July 24th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#202 Post by MatthewT » August 22nd, 2020, 1:08 pm

This is what she put on Instagram:



A $500+ TRUE Napa Cult Cab is $37. Take THAT 2020 🥊

If you loved Radio Silence from @wineaccess , the JUST RELEASED 2018 “Yesterday” Cabernet Sauvignon is going to BLOW YOUR MIND.

It’s hard to speak about some of these wines without sounding hyperbolic. But the truth is, I’ve tried the wine - twice now - and it really is THAT GOOD. A few weeks ago, Wine Access gave me a sneak peek of Yesterday and I have to admit, it went down a little too quickly. At the halfway mark, I corked it up, stuck it in the fridge, & forgot about it for a week. While unintentional, revisiting it even 7 days later after being open proved that this was no BS bulk juice - this was the real deal. The friends with me confirmed my feelings, and when it released today - they jumped at the opportunity to purchase a case. I suspect like the Radio Silence - it won’t be around for more than 24-48hrs. It drops to $32 on a case making a 12 bottle purchase of this kind of a no-brainer

As always, the details of this fruit 🍇 are kept under lock 🔒 and key 🔑 in the form of an iron clad NDA that prevents them from ever disclosing its origin. But they do drop a few nuggets in the way of hints if you feel like brushing off your detective hat:

“The apogee of classic #Oakville terroir. They produce quite literally a #cultcabernet the estate has a mailing list that’s impossible to get on unless you know someone; their wines garnered several 100-point scores in recent memory; they're in every steakhouse worth its salt; and the bottle prices start at $500 and climb skyward.”

The 2018 vintage was both stunning in quality and in size for #napavalley I still remember tasting some of the freshly picked #cabernet grapes in the wee hours of an October morning with a #winemaker in Yountville. It was everything one could have hoped for in terms of flavor, texture, & development. But there was just too damn much of it. I watched him scramble as his numbers came in - “its twice what I got last year.” He sounded panicked. This was the consensus around the valley and it’s resulting in some pretty sweet deals. Comment below👇 if you snagged some already - link in bio if not!
#wineconnoisseur
I'm a Turk

User avatar
MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1344
Joined: July 24th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#203 Post by MatthewT » August 22nd, 2020, 1:16 pm

Answer solved. I asked her on YouTube:

There has been some debate about whether you are referring to $500 as the winery/retail price or $500 at the restaurant mark up price. I know sounds silly but can you solve this debate once and for all? I believe you/WA are referring to "retail" not mark up. Thanks.

Response:

fair question but yes generally wine access is transparent about the difference - in this case, $500 refers to retail/winery price not a restaurants markup.

But yes, the debate will rage whether these are F grapes from the winery. I think that's rather unlikely and I'm guessing this will taste like an outstanding $32 bottle of wine.
I'm a Turk

Peter C.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4200
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 5:57 pm

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#204 Post by Peter C. » August 22nd, 2020, 1:21 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 12:43 pm
MatthewT wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 12:41 pm
She posted a youtube comment:

"Excellent!! Each “private label” wine access does will vary as far as whether they’re getting the grapes or the actual juice. While they can’t disclose who actually “made” the wine, what I can say is the grapes and the winemaking are both very clearly very high quality and punching at a $500+ weight class"

and

"Wine Access can’t disclose who actually made the wine and it varies project to project. What I can say is they have an incredible team behind them and I’ve tasted the wine twice - it is $500 quality wine in both grapes and winemaking. Very expensive new French oak, no traces of additives from what I can tell, and clearly from an outstanding terroir"
"$500 quality wine . . . no traces of additives from what I can tell." I don't know, man. The shill factor on this seems uber-high to me. Not a wine I am much interested in anyway so no dog i the fight, but this is Rimmerarian.
Yup, as I've said the whole 'great Christmas gift' line was what perked my ears up. I don't think I've ever heard 'great Christmas gift' ever uttered about something I'd want to buy, reminded me of the 'steak of the month' club sort of thing. Passing on this one but some of the other private labels are worth the short $ imo.
( z y ® y ( @

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2682
Joined: September 17th, 2009, 8:41 pm

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#205 Post by Nate Simon » August 22nd, 2020, 1:26 pm

I bit on a few, but prior experiences with such massively-ballyhoo’d NDA wines leads this emptor to caveat on such things, rather than going for a full case.
Last edited by Nate Simon on August 22nd, 2020, 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1344
Joined: July 24th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#206 Post by MatthewT » August 22nd, 2020, 1:27 pm

I've never had a Wine Access private label "$200+ wine" that's ever tasted like a $200 bottle of wine. But they have been excellent QPRs at 20-40.

I think she has a lot of cred on the line (can see how many people replied to her IG story). If the wine is garbage she can't promote a thing again.
I'm a Turk

User avatar
Tyler F.
Posts: 98
Joined: June 22nd, 2019, 10:41 am

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#207 Post by Tyler F. » August 22nd, 2020, 1:33 pm

I bit on a couple. Fingers crossed on this being a poor man's Harlan. [rofl.gif]
Tyler Fabian

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2682
Joined: September 17th, 2009, 8:41 pm

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#208 Post by Nate Simon » August 22nd, 2020, 1:34 pm

Indeed, the hype is pretty over the top on this one.
However, if it ends up being even one fourthas good as it is purported to be, I have a billionaire friend who is going to want to land his private helicopter at WineAccess.

J. Rock
Posts: 845
Joined: March 11th, 2019, 4:53 pm
Location: The [West] Valley

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#209 Post by J. Rock » August 22nd, 2020, 1:36 pm

I wonder how often this conversation like this takes place:

Private Label: "Don't worry, we'll give some decent hints, but we won't tell them where we got this juice!"

Prestigious Winery: "I mean, we really don't have any problem with you telling everyone that we have such high standards for what we bottle that a lot of barrels don't actually end up in the finished wine and we'd rather dump subpar juice than put our name on it."

Private Label: "... yeah... but... we like to be mysterious!"
J o r d a n

User avatar
MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1344
Joined: July 24th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#210 Post by MatthewT » August 22nd, 2020, 1:38 pm

J. Rock wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 1:36 pm
I wonder how often this conversation like this takes place:

Private Label: "Don't worry, we'll give some decent hints, but we won't tell them where we got this juice!"

Prestigious Winery: "I mean, we really don't have any problem with you telling everyone that we have such high standards for what we bottle that a lot of barrels don't actually end up in the finished wine and we'd rather dump subpar juice than put our name on it."

Private Label: "... yeah... but... we like to be mysterious!"
Very interesting take. It's prob true. But when you are talking about a $150+ retail wine those buyers are *never* buying the private label stuff at 15-35 from the de Negoce's, WA, etc. It's not even on their radar. I wouldn't be worried at all as a winery that it would somehow hurt my core biz. Just look at this thread. It could be the EXACT SAME WINE but people will still be convinced it's grade F grapes, etc. ,etc. Note, I do NOT think this is the same wine sold at the winery or anything REMOTELY close. But I also don't think it's shit grapes.
I'm a Turk

NickRut
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 926
Joined: June 10th, 2016, 5:00 pm

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#211 Post by NickRut » August 22nd, 2020, 2:39 pm

I would think there could be rules about declassified juice or grapes. Nobody ever seems to advertise where they are from. That can’t just be a nuance.
Rutkowski

User avatar
MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1344
Joined: July 24th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#212 Post by MatthewT » August 22nd, 2020, 2:41 pm

NickRut wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 2:39 pm
I would think there could be rules about declassified juice or grapes. Nobody ever seems to advertise where they are from. That can’t just be a nuance.
It would be pretty f*ck funny if the offer said this:

"We sourced the best grapes from Harlan that they decided weren't good enough for their top, 2nd, or 3rd tier brand...but for $32 they are Amazing!!!!"
I'm a Turk

NickRut
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 926
Joined: June 10th, 2016, 5:00 pm

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#213 Post by NickRut » August 22nd, 2020, 2:55 pm

MatthewT wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 2:41 pm
NickRut wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 2:39 pm
I would think there could be rules about declassified juice or grapes. Nobody ever seems to advertise where they are from. That can’t just be a nuance.
It would be pretty f*ck funny if the offer said this:

"We sourced the best grapes from Harlan that they decided weren't good enough for their top, 2nd, or 3rd tier brand...but for $32 they are Amazing!!!!"
Lol in all honesty I’d still bite. I’d rather know where. Even if we know it wasn’t good enough for their bottlings.

“These are Harlan’s shittiest grapes and vines. But cmon, it’s Harlan for 32 bucks.”
Rutkowski

User avatar
MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1344
Joined: July 24th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#214 Post by MatthewT » August 22nd, 2020, 3:04 pm

NickRut wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 2:55 pm
MatthewT wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 2:41 pm
NickRut wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 2:39 pm
I would think there could be rules about declassified juice or grapes. Nobody ever seems to advertise where they are from. That can’t just be a nuance.
It would be pretty f*ck funny if the offer said this:

"We sourced the best grapes from Harlan that they decided weren't good enough for their top, 2nd, or 3rd tier brand...but for $32 they are Amazing!!!!"
Lol in all honesty I’d still bite. I’d rather know where. Even if we know it wasn’t good enough for their bottlings.

“These are Harlan’s shittiest grapes and vines. But cmon, it’s Harlan for 32 bucks.”
This could make for a fun thread. Post your best most honest private label offer, as you wish they'd all do it.

"Hailing from one of the most legendary wineries of all time, Harlan, no expense was spared making the wine we offer you today. The grapes were meticulously plucked right at peak ripeness and crushed with the utmost sensitivity. After 18 months in 50% New French Oak, the wine was tasted out of the barrel. Ultimately, the wine maker put aside the 6 worst barrels (and kept the 60 best ones) and offered them to us at penny's on the dollar! Sure, there are some fingernails here and there but F'N HARLAN fingernails!!!! $32"
I'm a Turk

joejolesch
Posts: 229
Joined: December 4th, 2019, 9:24 pm

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#215 Post by joejolesch » August 22nd, 2020, 5:28 pm

MatthewT wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 3:04 pm
NickRut wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 2:55 pm
MatthewT wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 2:41 pm


It would be pretty f*ck funny if the offer said this:

"We sourced the best grapes from Harlan that they decided weren't good enough for their top, 2nd, or 3rd tier brand...but for $32 they are Amazing!!!!"
Lol in all honesty I’d still bite. I’d rather know where. Even if we know it wasn’t good enough for their bottlings.

“These are Harlan’s shittiest grapes and vines. But cmon, it’s Harlan for 32 bucks.”
This could make for a fun thread. Post your best most honest private label offer, as you wish they'd all do it.

"Hailing from one of the most legendary wineries of all time, Harlan, no expense was spared making the wine we offer you today. The grapes were meticulously plucked right at peak ripeness and crushed with the utmost sensitivity. After 18 months in 50% New French Oak, the wine was tasted out of the barrel. Ultimately, the wine maker put aside the 6 worst barrels (and kept the 60 best ones) and offered them to us at penny's on the dollar! Sure, there are some fingernails here and there but F'N HARLAN fingernails!!!! $32"
Now that would’ve got my money. In the end, it’s going to Di Costanzo, Pott, and William & Mary over the next few weeks instead.

User avatar
Tyler F.
Posts: 98
Joined: June 22nd, 2019, 10:41 am

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#216 Post by Tyler F. » August 22nd, 2020, 8:47 pm

Used my last WA Amex $50 credit and a referral credit to grab 6 more at essentially $20/bottle. At that price, I won't kick myself if it's just okay, and I might kick myself a little harder if it's great. :-P
Tyler Fabian

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 294
Joined: February 13th, 2020, 8:37 am
Location: NYC

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#217 Post by Mike R » August 22nd, 2020, 9:09 pm

MatthewT wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 1:38 pm
Very interesting take. It's prob true. But when you are talking about a $150+ retail wine those buyers are *never* buying the private label stuff at 15-35 from the de Negoce's, WA, etc. It's not even on their radar. I wouldn't be worried at all as a winery that it would somehow hurt my core biz. Just look at this thread. It could be the EXACT SAME WINE but people will still be convinced it's grade F grapes, etc. ,etc. Note, I do NOT think this is the same wine sold at the winery or anything REMOTELY close. But I also don't think it's shit grapes.
This is exactly how I feel about De Negoce wines. Funny you acknowledge this fact for these but won't for De Negoce. champagne.gif
... 0 p 3 r

User avatar
Tyler F.
Posts: 98
Joined: June 22nd, 2019, 10:41 am

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#218 Post by Tyler F. » August 22nd, 2020, 9:59 pm

This doesn't line up with the $500 angle, but wondering if this could be something similar to Plumpjack Reserve? Similar ABV, varietal mix, and obviously Oakville.
Tyler Fabian

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3368
Joined: January 30th, 2012, 9:22 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#219 Post by Mike Evans » August 23rd, 2020, 6:05 am

For another data point, I have the offer on my Amex Gold Delta Skymiles card.

User avatar
MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1344
Joined: July 24th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#220 Post by MatthewT » August 23rd, 2020, 6:11 am

Mike R wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 9:09 pm
MatthewT wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 1:38 pm
Very interesting take. It's prob true. But when you are talking about a $150+ retail wine those buyers are *never* buying the private label stuff at 15-35 from the de Negoce's, WA, etc. It's not even on their radar. I wouldn't be worried at all as a winery that it would somehow hurt my core biz. Just look at this thread. It could be the EXACT SAME WINE but people will still be convinced it's grade F grapes, etc. ,etc. Note, I do NOT think this is the same wine sold at the winery or anything REMOTELY close. But I also don't think it's shit grapes.
This is exactly how I feel about De Negoce wines. Funny you acknowledge this fact for these but won't for De Negoce. champagne.gif
I think it might be the case for *some* of the de Negoce and totally do acknowledge it. I've said many times in the thread often it could be barrels that didn't make the final cut but given the huge crop AND shock to demand, that cutoff might not make the de Negoce barrels bad at all or even recognizably different from the winery wine. In this case, I am certain this wine will be nothing like the winery wine, either in blend or quality. But if it's almost as good? That would be pretty great.
I'm a Turk

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 294
Joined: February 13th, 2020, 8:37 am
Location: NYC

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#221 Post by Mike R » August 23rd, 2020, 7:29 pm

The fact that Yesterday is still in stock is very discouraging, both from my own regret perspective, as well as for the chances of this being sourced from Screagle, given quantity.
... 0 p 3 r

User avatar
MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1344
Joined: July 24th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#222 Post by MatthewT » August 23rd, 2020, 7:48 pm

Mike R wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 7:29 pm
The fact that Yesterday is still in stock is very discouraging, both from my own regret perspective, as well as for the chances of this being sourced from Screagle, given quantity.
Yes it's ridiculous, lol. It's not Screagle but how many f'n 1000 of cases did they have of this shit? This will be one of those "I can't wait to find out the true story one day" moments. Plenty of people know so it will come out. But I guess first we get to see if it is even drinkable. I'm confident it is. Wine Access isn't a sketchy startup.
I'm a Turk

andrewkao
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 41
Joined: May 5th, 2020, 5:32 pm

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#223 Post by andrewkao » August 23rd, 2020, 9:58 pm

J. Rock wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 1:36 pm
I wonder how often this conversation like this takes place:

Private Label: "Don't worry, we'll give some decent hints, but we won't tell them where we got this juice!"

Prestigious Winery: "I mean, we really don't have any problem with you telling everyone that we have such high standards for what we bottle that a lot of barrels don't actually end up in the finished wine and we'd rather dump subpar juice than put our name on it."

Private Label: "... yeah... but... we like to be mysterious!"
Ha - that would be funny but not the case at Claudine. Personally I think being able to be as straightforward as possible, along with education, is the best for both the business and consumer. Sometime it is juice that the winery deems subpar; othertimes it's barrels that make it all the way until final blend and the winemaker decides he/she doesn't need more of a certain flavor/aroma profile, and of course sometimes it's actually shiners.

Currently working on a deal now where we WOULD be able to reveal the source, which I'm super excited about to show consumers the type of place we source from...not to turn this into a Claudine pitch, but just wanted to chime in that the hypothetical case you bring up *probably* doesn't happen (caveat: I'm a data point of 1)
Claudine Wines
We source tiny quantities of surplus premium wine and offer them at a fraction of the original price.

J. Rock
Posts: 845
Joined: March 11th, 2019, 4:53 pm
Location: The [West] Valley

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#224 Post by J. Rock » August 24th, 2020, 8:45 am

andrewkao wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 9:58 pm
J. Rock wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 1:36 pm
I wonder how often this conversation like this takes place:

Private Label: "Don't worry, we'll give some decent hints, but we won't tell them where we got this juice!"

Prestigious Winery: "I mean, we really don't have any problem with you telling everyone that we have such high standards for what we bottle that a lot of barrels don't actually end up in the finished wine and we'd rather dump subpar juice than put our name on it."

Private Label: "... yeah... but... we like to be mysterious!"
Ha - that would be funny but not the case at Claudine. Personally I think being able to be as straightforward as possible, along with education, is the best for both the business and consumer.
That is the kind of marketing that would appeal more to me. Clearly, the hyperbole and subjective fluff appeals to a lot of people, but even if the wine was the exact same, I'd be more likely to buy the one with the more straight forward marketing. A $60 wine for $30? That sounds like a great deal to me, especially for more of a daily drinker. A $500 wine for $30? Now, I just feel like you think I'm stupid. If the pitch was more like "this wine wasn't up to the standard of what they actually sell for $500, but we tasted it we feel most people would be happy paying $80. Since _____ isn't in the business of selling wine for $80, they couldn't do anything with the wine, so we took it off of them for dimes on the dollar and we're able to sell it to you without any fancy brand name for $35," I'd probably bite.
J o r d a n

User avatar
MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1344
Joined: July 24th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#225 Post by MatthewT » August 24th, 2020, 8:47 am

J. Rock wrote:
August 24th, 2020, 8:45 am
andrewkao wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 9:58 pm
J. Rock wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 1:36 pm
I wonder how often this conversation like this takes place:

Private Label: "Don't worry, we'll give some decent hints, but we won't tell them where we got this juice!"

Prestigious Winery: "I mean, we really don't have any problem with you telling everyone that we have such high standards for what we bottle that a lot of barrels don't actually end up in the finished wine and we'd rather dump subpar juice than put our name on it."

Private Label: "... yeah... but... we like to be mysterious!"
Ha - that would be funny but not the case at Claudine. Personally I think being able to be as straightforward as possible, along with education, is the best for both the business and consumer.
That is the kind of marketing that would appeal more to me. Clearly, the hyperbole and subjective fluff appeals to a lot of people, but even if the wine was the exact same, I'd be more likely to buy the one with the more straight forward marketing. A $60 wine for $30? That sounds like a great deal to me, especially for more of a daily drinker. A $500 wine for $30? Now, I just feel like you think I'm stupid. If the pitch was more like "this wine wasn't up to the standard of what they actually sell for $500, but we tasted it we feel most people would be happy paying $80. Since _____ isn't in the business of selling wine for $80, they couldn't do anything with the wine, so we took it off of them for dimes on the dollar and we're able to sell it to you without any fancy brand name for $35," I'd probably bite.
I agree completely with this. I guess I just *assume* this is what you said "If the pitch was more like "this wine wasn't up to the standard of what they actually sell for $500, but we tasted it we feel most people would be happy paying $80" even if it's not said.

But that blogger/paid shill insists it really does taste like a $500 bottle of wine! And she has decade+ of cred.
I'm a Turk

James Mc
Posts: 169
Joined: January 3rd, 2020, 4:48 pm

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#226 Post by James Mc » August 24th, 2020, 8:51 am

I didnt bite on Yesterday, but my father in law bought 6, so I’m sure I will try it at some point.
McCormick Seasonings

User avatar
MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1344
Joined: July 24th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#227 Post by MatthewT » August 24th, 2020, 8:59 am

One thing that's important is WineAccess stands by their wines 100% (the shill blogger/youtuber said) so if the YESTERDAY is bad, we'll just get a credit or our money back. It's rather low risk.
I'm a Turk

User avatar
rsmithjr
Posts: 261
Joined: December 8th, 2015, 11:25 am
Location: Troy, Mich

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#228 Post by rsmithjr » August 24th, 2020, 1:36 pm

I bit for 4 bottles of Yesterday .....I call it the Beatles wine.....
Roger Smith- Longtime wine drinker and bon vivant' and unofficial De Negoce' FANBOY.....

Chris Crutchfield
Posts: 103
Joined: February 17th, 2011, 10:49 pm

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#229 Post by Chris Crutchfield » August 24th, 2020, 1:45 pm

300 bottles listed already on CellarTracker. Who knows how many more were bought but not entered into CT (I'd wager another factor of 2). They must have bought a lot from whoever this mystery producer was.

User avatar
MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1344
Joined: July 24th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#230 Post by MatthewT » August 24th, 2020, 1:46 pm

Chris Crutchfield wrote:
August 24th, 2020, 1:45 pm
300 bottles listed already on CellarTracker. Who knows how many more were bought but not entered into CT (I'd wager another factor of 2). They must have bought a lot from whoever this mystery producer was.
There is no question they had MANY hundreds of cases for sale of this. It's all very very odd.
I'm a Turk

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 294
Joined: February 13th, 2020, 8:37 am
Location: NYC

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#231 Post by Mike R » August 24th, 2020, 2:01 pm

I've bought a ton of crappy wine in my life. I won't be devastated if Yesterday isn't that great. I just wish I could understand why it is taking so long to sell out.

Maybe these off label wines just don't sell above $30ish. Hence why DeNegoce sells at $18 despite the fact that they sell everything in 24 hours.
... 0 p 3 r

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2682
Joined: September 17th, 2009, 8:41 pm

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#232 Post by Nate Simon » August 24th, 2020, 2:08 pm

Mike R wrote:
August 24th, 2020, 2:01 pm
I've bought a ton of crappy wine in my life. I won't be devastated if Yesterday isn't that great. I just wish I could understand why it is taking so long to sell out.

Maybe these off label wines just don't sell above $30ish. Hence why DeNegoce sells at $18 despite the fact that they sell everything in 24 hours.
I really agree with this. Once you get in the $30 range, there is a LOT of really good wine with established track records. Might be fun to take a chance on it, but not worth going all-in on the off chance it really drinks like a baller Cabernet.

User avatar
MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1344
Joined: July 24th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#233 Post by MatthewT » August 24th, 2020, 2:11 pm

Nate Simon wrote:
August 24th, 2020, 2:08 pm
Mike R wrote:
August 24th, 2020, 2:01 pm
I've bought a ton of crappy wine in my life. I won't be devastated if Yesterday isn't that great. I just wish I could understand why it is taking so long to sell out.

Maybe these off label wines just don't sell above $30ish. Hence why DeNegoce sells at $18 despite the fact that they sell everything in 24 hours.
I really agree with this. Once you get in the $30 range, there is a LOT of really good wine with established track records. Might be fun to take a chance on it, but not worth going all-in on the off chance it really drinks like a baller Cabernet.
What is all in? 100 cases? Haha.

Yes, I bought 2 cases. If it's total crap I'm out $650 though they have a money back guarantee and I have the delivery's staggered so if the original one is bad I will cancel the 2nd purchase.
I'm a Turk

NickRut
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 926
Joined: June 10th, 2016, 5:00 pm

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#234 Post by NickRut » August 24th, 2020, 2:18 pm

Anyone having theirs shipped soon? Mine has to wait until late October as it is just too damn hot. Curious to see a note or two before it sells out.
Rutkowski

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 294
Joined: February 13th, 2020, 8:37 am
Location: NYC

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#235 Post by Mike R » August 24th, 2020, 2:21 pm

NickRut wrote:
August 24th, 2020, 2:18 pm
Anyone having theirs shipped soon? Mine has to wait until late October as it is just too damn hot. Curious to see a note or two before it sells out.
Mine is being shipped for delivery this Saturday, so should have some notes for you soon. Just buy it for a future delivery date and you can always cancel.
... 0 p 3 r

NickRut
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 926
Joined: June 10th, 2016, 5:00 pm

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#236 Post by NickRut » August 24th, 2020, 2:23 pm

Mike R wrote:
August 24th, 2020, 2:21 pm
NickRut wrote:
August 24th, 2020, 2:18 pm
Anyone having theirs shipped soon? Mine has to wait until late October as it is just too damn hot. Curious to see a note or two before it sells out.
Mine is being shipped for delivery this Saturday, so should have some notes for you soon. Just buy it for a future delivery date and you can always cancel.

Assuming it isn't absolutely terrible I'll keep the order. It was only like $25ish a bottle for me after promos. If it is even a 90 or 91 pointer I'll keep it for that price. Just curious if it is crazy good for price where I might finish off my case.

Looking forward to reading your thoughts.
Rutkowski

User avatar
MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1344
Joined: July 24th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#237 Post by MatthewT » August 24th, 2020, 2:25 pm

Mike R wrote:
August 24th, 2020, 2:21 pm
NickRut wrote:
August 24th, 2020, 2:18 pm
Anyone having theirs shipped soon? Mine has to wait until late October as it is just too damn hot. Curious to see a note or two before it sells out.
Mine is being shipped for delivery this Saturday, so should have some notes for you soon. Just buy it for a future delivery date and you can always cancel.
Mine here 9/2.
I'm a Turk

Peter C.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4200
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 5:57 pm

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#238 Post by Peter C. » August 24th, 2020, 2:38 pm

MatthewT wrote:
August 24th, 2020, 2:25 pm
Mike R wrote:
August 24th, 2020, 2:21 pm
NickRut wrote:
August 24th, 2020, 2:18 pm
Anyone having theirs shipped soon? Mine has to wait until late October as it is just too damn hot. Curious to see a note or two before it sells out.
Mine is being shipped for delivery this Saturday, so should have some notes for you soon. Just buy it for a future delivery date and you can always cancel.
Mine here 9/2.
(sorry meant to reply to NickRut not MatthewT but here we are lol)

I didn't order Yesterday but I regularly ship wine from WineAccess all summer b/c it only sits on the truck one day for me (from upstate NY to MA) and they throw an ice pack or two in with the wines. Keep in mind I'm in the Northeast though it's been a very hot summer with temps in the 80s and 90s since June.

Never had even a warm bottle, all coolish (def not cold though) to the touch which is fine by me.

YMMV depending on where you live of course.
( z y ® y ( @

Peter C.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4200
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 5:57 pm

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#239 Post by Peter C. » August 24th, 2020, 2:42 pm

MatthewT wrote:
August 24th, 2020, 2:11 pm
Nate Simon wrote:
August 24th, 2020, 2:08 pm
Mike R wrote:
August 24th, 2020, 2:01 pm
I've bought a ton of crappy wine in my life. I won't be devastated if Yesterday isn't that great. I just wish I could understand why it is taking so long to sell out.

Maybe these off label wines just don't sell above $30ish. Hence why DeNegoce sells at $18 despite the fact that they sell everything in 24 hours.
I really agree with this. Once you get in the $30 range, there is a LOT of really good wine with established track records. Might be fun to take a chance on it, but not worth going all-in on the off chance it really drinks like a baller Cabernet.
What is all in? 100 cases? Haha.

Yes, I bought 2 cases. If it's total crap I'm out $650 though they have a money back guarantee and I have the delivery's staggered so if the original one is bad I will cancel the 2nd purchase.
I'd be stunned if it's crap. I feel like all of the private labels I've purchased EXCEPT 2018 Off the Cuff (which honestly wasn't terrible, just young and needs a lot of time IMO) were worth the $ and I don't regret buying at all. Some need more air than others etc but they've all been solid.
( z y ® y ( @

User avatar
MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1344
Joined: July 24th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#240 Post by MatthewT » August 24th, 2020, 3:01 pm

Peter C. wrote:
August 24th, 2020, 2:42 pm
MatthewT wrote:
August 24th, 2020, 2:11 pm
Nate Simon wrote:
August 24th, 2020, 2:08 pm


I really agree with this. Once you get in the $30 range, there is a LOT of really good wine with established track records. Might be fun to take a chance on it, but not worth going all-in on the off chance it really drinks like a baller Cabernet.
What is all in? 100 cases? Haha.

Yes, I bought 2 cases. If it's total crap I'm out $650 though they have a money back guarantee and I have the delivery's staggered so if the original one is bad I will cancel the 2nd purchase.
I'd be stunned if it's crap. I feel like all of the private labels I've purchased EXCEPT 2018 Off the Cuff (which honestly wasn't terrible, just young and needs a lot of time IMO) were worth the $ and I don't regret buying at all. Some need more air than others etc but they've all been solid.
Yes, I've bought prob 30 of these over the years, mostly Chad. Always drinkable. I was also disappointed with Off the Cuff but not enough to ask for a refund. Really like Cosmetologist.
I'm a Turk

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 294
Joined: February 13th, 2020, 8:37 am
Location: NYC

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#241 Post by Mike R » August 24th, 2020, 7:05 pm

What do we think the best offer currently available on Wine Access is? I have some credits expiring that I want to put to use.
... 0 p 3 r

T@riq Abdull@h
Posts: 1
Joined: April 10th, 2020, 7:58 pm

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#242 Post by T@riq Abdull@h » August 24th, 2020, 7:07 pm

For those that think Yesterday is Screagle, and for those that don't, I came across this article. https://cluboenologique.com/story/screa ... cult-wine/

"While the team makes wine from the younger vine blocks every year, so far none has made it into the final blend for either wine. Ultimately, only a quarter to a third of the vineyard makes it into the bottle. The remainder, as they put it, disappears. (The winery won’t say exactly what happens to it.)"

Chris Crutchfield
Posts: 103
Joined: February 17th, 2011, 10:49 pm

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#243 Post by Chris Crutchfield » August 24th, 2020, 7:45 pm

Mike R wrote:
August 24th, 2020, 7:05 pm
What do we think the best offer currently available on Wine Access is? I have some credits expiring that I want to put to use.
2019 Massican Annia is available for $30. With the credits, it's a pretty good deal IMO.

John F. Ingram
Posts: 95
Joined: July 4th, 2011, 4:56 pm
Location: Longmont, CO

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#244 Post by John F. Ingram » August 24th, 2020, 7:51 pm

T@riq Abdull@h wrote:
August 24th, 2020, 7:07 pm
For those that think Yesterday is Screagle, and for those that don't, I came across this article. https://cluboenologique.com/story/screa ... cult-wine/

"While the team makes wine from the younger vine blocks every year, so far none has made it into the final blend for either wine. Ultimately, only a quarter to a third of the vineyard makes it into the bottle. The remainder, as they put it, disappears. (The winery won’t say exactly what happens to it.)"
Based on the number of cases they produce on the high end 850. That implies they have approximately 1700 to 2550 cases worth of excess wine.

User avatar
MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1344
Joined: July 24th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#245 Post by MatthewT » August 24th, 2020, 8:17 pm

John F. Ingram wrote:
August 24th, 2020, 7:51 pm
T@riq Abdull@h wrote:
August 24th, 2020, 7:07 pm
For those that think Yesterday is Screagle, and for those that don't, I came across this article. https://cluboenologique.com/story/screa ... cult-wine/

"While the team makes wine from the younger vine blocks every year, so far none has made it into the final blend for either wine. Ultimately, only a quarter to a third of the vineyard makes it into the bottle. The remainder, as they put it, disappears. (The winery won’t say exactly what happens to it.)"
Based on the number of cases they produce on the high end 850. That implies they have approximately 1700 to 2550 cases worth of excess wine.
That is so fascinating. Truth is based on the clues it really can't be anything but screaming eagle. Someone on a post somewhere, I don't know where I think that youtube video, said they know where the Harlan excess goes and it aint to WineAccess.

But it really doesn't matter if it's Harlan or Screagle. Really just matters if it's shit grapes and shit wine. I really doubt it.
I'm a Turk

Rohit B
Posts: 6
Joined: August 25th, 2020, 5:42 am

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#246 Post by Rohit B » August 25th, 2020, 7:16 am

I'm very new to the wine game and don't have the deepest pockets, so I've picked up several of the mystery cab sauvs from WA (Radio silence, stay home, off the cuff, moundsman, concept album). I like to buy the ones where the quotes/hints/etc. can tell you who the source is with a quick google search, but I picked up 4 bottles of "Yesterday" assuming it was from either harlan or screaming eagle.

I've made several purchases from WA, and although their marketing can certainly be fluffed up, it has been a good service for me to start to explore and learn about wine.
B h a n

Max S.
Posts: 282
Joined: March 16th, 2020, 3:01 pm
Location: Denver

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#247 Post by Max S. » August 25th, 2020, 7:24 am

Rohit B wrote:
August 25th, 2020, 7:16 am
I'm very new to the wine game and don't have the deepest pockets, so I've picked up several of the mystery cab sauvs from WA (Radio silence, stay home, off the cuff, moundsman, concept album). I like to buy the ones where the quotes/hints/etc. can tell you who the source is with a quick google search, but I picked up 4 bottles of "Yesterday" assuming it was from either harlan or screaming eagle.

I've made several purchases from WA, and although their marketing can certainly be fluffed up, it has been a good service for me to start to explore and learn about wine.
Yea, their prices aren't always the best but free shipping on 6 bottles or $120 brings them into the game. I normally don't touch Napa cab because of the price, but WA and de Negoce has made it possible for me.
5 w 0 m l 3 y

DanielP
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 774
Joined: October 5th, 2015, 7:21 pm
Location: NYC

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#248 Post by DanielP » August 25th, 2020, 10:23 am

5% cashback on Rakuten today
P@ik

Chris Crutchfield
Posts: 103
Joined: February 17th, 2011, 10:49 pm

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#249 Post by Chris Crutchfield » August 25th, 2020, 11:49 am

I'm surprised there are no TNs for Yesterday yet. Somebody on reddit claimed they had received their bottles already.

User avatar
MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1344
Joined: July 24th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#250 Post by MatthewT » August 25th, 2020, 11:54 am

Chris Crutchfield wrote:
August 25th, 2020, 11:49 am
I'm surprised there are no TNs for Yesterday yet. Somebody on reddit claimed they had received their bottles already.


This thread/comments are so funny. And thus, that's why de Negoce exists. Nobody thinks it's real.

Where do you see anyone having bought it? Can you link please?
I'm a Turk

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”