WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
David Buck

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#1001 Post by David Buck »

Are the Wine Access private label wines generally more drinkable right after receiving? vs De Negoce?

Do they hold them longer in the bottle and wait till drinkable before release vs Cam? Probably hard to generalize depending on the release. But the video review above on Radio Silence 2018 leads you to believe its good to go right now....

matt d
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1002 Post by matt d »

David Buck wrote: December 5th, 2020, 5:11 pm Are the Wine Access private label wines generally more drinkable right after receiving? vs De Negoce?

Do they hold them longer in the bottle and wait till drinkable before release vs Cam? Probably hard to generalize depending on the release. But the video review above on Radio Silence 2018 leads you to believe its good to go right now....
all of the ones i have had can be drank now. They will do better with time but you can taste what is behind the wine and where is should be going. For me i would rather have one of WA then two of cam's
M@tthew D@h@r

ScottieB

#1003 Post by ScottieB »

Has anyone tried the Halpin 2018? It was offered recently and didn't last long (I think the quantity was limited to 40 cases or so?). I just received my order and popped open a bottle. A nice, very good quality Napa Cab. My guess it's Seavey from the description, and it does taste similar to Off the Cuff (rated 4.3 above by the industry tasting panel) which is probably Seavey. Perhaps it was leftover juice from Seavey and they bottled it as a different offering.
B e c k m a n

ScottieB

#1004 Post by ScottieB »

Andreas Birnik wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 12:30 am
David Chow wrote: December 1st, 2020, 9:18 pm
Andreas Birnik wrote: December 1st, 2020, 6:54 pm We did an industry tasting event this past Saturday for 12 people, including with a Master of Wine (MW), for 11 private labels from Wine Access and the results were very encouraging.
The top performers were as follows - median scores shown across 12 people on the Vivino scoring range:

2018 Radio Silence: 4.5 (guessing Harlan Estate)
2018 The Commission: 4.5 (guessing Bryant Family Vineyard)
2018 Echoes in the Canyon: 4.5 (guessing Seavey Vineyard)
2016 Concept Album: 4.5 (guessing Hidden Ridge Vineyard / Immortal Estate)
2017 Off the Cuff: 4.3 (no precision guess)
2018 The Editorial: 4.0 (no precision guess)
2018 The Cosmologist: 4.0 (no precision guess)

We then had a smattering of other scores down to as low as 3.0 and 3.5 median scores for the rest of the wines.
Suffice to say, there are some really solid wines released by Wine Access and the first four are our favorites.
Note that we did not taste 2018 Yesterday (Oakville), 2018 Yesterday (Howell Mountain), 2018 The Ringer or 2017 Radio Silence.
This is good stuff. Thanks for sharing. I'm glad I got the top 2 at least.

BTW, how did you get your hand on 2018 Radio Silence so early? I think it started to show on their site on Sunday, and I'm still waiting for my order to arrive. Please do share any secret. [thankyou.gif]
Andreas -- if you have more detailed data to share on the tasting scores, that would be appreciated -- e.g. the spread of scores, what the MW rated them, etc. Thanks!

@Daniel Chow - it was an industry event so not open to the public. Anyway, thought the info was relevant for the people in this forum.
B e c k m a n

David Kim
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1005 Post by David Kim »

ScottieB wrote: December 5th, 2020, 5:49 pm

BTW, how did you get your hand on 2018 Radio Silence so early? I think it started to show on their site on Sunday, and I'm still waiting for my order to arrive. Please do share any secret. [thankyou.gif]
Andreas -- if you have more detailed data to share on the tasting scores, that would be appreciated -- e.g. the spread of scores, what the MW rated them, etc. Thanks!

@Daniel Chow - it was an industry event so not open to the public. Anyway, thought the info was relevant for the people in this forum.
It would appear the Cosmologist is Skipstone based on the parker comment that is quoted, First half of the comment is based on the 2013 while the 2nd half is taken from a review of the 2010.

David Chow

#1006 Post by David Chow »

Surprisingly, Radio Silence is still available after 1.5 week. I got mine and finally tried it last night. Still quite young w/ aging capability...it was still excellent. Definitely tasted well over the selling price. Great QPR!

Anyone tried theirs yet?

Peter C.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1007 Post by Peter C. »

Not sure if this had been posted upthread, but if you go to https://top100.winespectator.com there's an ad for 20% off WineAccess.
( z y ® y ( @

David Buck

#1008 Post by David Buck »

David Chow wrote: December 10th, 2020, 9:59 am Surprisingly, Radio Silence is still available after 1.5 week. I got mine and finally tried it last night. Still quite young w/ aging capability...it was still excellent. Definitely tasted well over the selling price. Great QPR!

Anyone tried theirs yet?
Did you decant? How long would your recommend? Still waiting on my 2 week hold after receiving...

Sanjay M.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1009 Post by Sanjay M. »

Peter C. wrote: December 11th, 2020, 8:54 am Not sure if this had been posted upthread, but if you go to https://top100.winespectator.com there's an ad for 20% off WineAccess.
Thanks for the heads up. I was able to use it, so it's apparently not for first orders only.
I'm not sure what it's capped at, but I used it on a $400+ order and it applied 20% off to the whole amount.
M_@_r_k_e_n

Peter C.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1010 Post by Peter C. »

Sanjay M. wrote: December 11th, 2020, 10:41 am
Peter C. wrote: December 11th, 2020, 8:54 am Not sure if this had been posted upthread, but if you go to https://top100.winespectator.com there's an ad for 20% off WineAccess.
Thanks for the heads up. I was able to use it, so it's apparently not for first orders only.
I'm not sure what it's capped at, but I used it on a $400+ order and it applied 20% off to the whole amount.
Right - they use weird language for all of these promos, but you're able to use each one, one time.
( z y ® y ( @

David Chow

#1011 Post by David Chow »

David Buck wrote: December 11th, 2020, 9:25 am
David Chow wrote: December 10th, 2020, 9:59 am Surprisingly, Radio Silence is still available after 1.5 week. I got mine and finally tried it last night. Still quite young w/ aging capability...it was still excellent. Definitely tasted well over the selling price. Great QPR!

Anyone tried theirs yet?
Did you decant? How long would your recommend? Still waiting on my 2 week hold after receiving...
It was PnP for me, but I'd recommend decanting it for at least an hour though. I'll decant the next bottle for sure. [cheers.gif]

J. Migone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1012 Post by J. Migone »

Had 2018 Commission. Clearly a wine from a really good source. Reminded me of a less intense 2013 Roy Piper. Has chalky tannins and depth. Needs a few years to come together and shine just like the RP did. The RP is my favorite wine in the cellar today.

Fyi- the Castello di Bossi Chianti Classico Gran Selezione beat it out easily and was the clear favorite of the night.
The one and only Obi Juan Migone

JEFFREY R

#1013 Post by JEFFREY R »

Wondering if I should use it to try the Grgich Cab limited time offer...
R o g e r s

Peter C.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1014 Post by Peter C. »

JEFFREY R wrote: December 11th, 2020, 3:54 pm
I used to love aged Grgich Cabs, how are the wines past 15-20 years or so?
( z y ® y ( @

JEFFREY R

#1015 Post by JEFFREY R »

Peter C. wrote: December 11th, 2020, 5:31 pm

Never tried their cab. Love their chards. Thought at ~$40 it’d be worth a shot.
R o g e r s

ScottieB

#1016 Post by ScottieB »

J. Migone wrote: December 11th, 2020, 3:43 pm Had 2018 Commission. Clearly a wine from a really good source. Reminded me of a less intense 2013 Roy Piper. Has chalky tannins and depth. Needs a few years to come together and shine just like the RP did. The RP is my favorite wine in the cellar today.

Fyi- the Castello di Bossi Chianti Classico Gran Selezione beat it out easily and was the clear favorite of the night.
Commission is apparently made from Bryant Family estate grapes. Roy Piper must be some great stuff to be compared to Bryant!
B e c k m a n

J. Migone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1017 Post by J. Migone »

ScottieB wrote: December 12th, 2020, 5:13 pm
J. Migone wrote: December 11th, 2020, 3:43 pm Had 2018 Commission. Clearly a wine from a really good source. Reminded me of a less intense 2013 Roy Piper. Has chalky tannins and depth. Needs a few years to come together and shine just like the RP did. The RP is my favorite wine in the cellar today.

Commission is apparently made from Bryant Family estate grapes. Roy Piper must be some great stuff to be compared to Bryant!
To clarify, the 2013 Piper is better by quite a margin. The commission just reminds me of it, but lacks vibrancy. Hopefully, it develops to a third of what the Piper 13 did.
The one and only Obi Juan Migone

rsmithjr

#1018 Post by rsmithjr »

ScottieB wrote: December 5th, 2020, 5:49 pm

I have the 2016 Concept Album and REALLY like it. So much so that I Highly recommend it for people that like the 2016 style - fruit forward...

The 2016 Editorial is thin IMHO....not worth it...

I have 2018 Yesterdays.... have not tried it yet.
Last edited by rsmithjr on December 13th, 2020, 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roger Smith- Longtime wine drinker and bon vivant' and unofficial De Negoce' FANBOY.....

Sherri S h a p i r o
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#1019 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o »

Jeffrey - please check your inbox/PMs.

rsmithjr

#1020 Post by rsmithjr »

Just ordered 4 Radio Silence and 2 Hourglass....
Roger Smith- Longtime wine drinker and bon vivant' and unofficial De Negoce' FANBOY.....

Tyler F.

#1021 Post by Tyler F. »

Just used the 20% WS discount to stock up on some bubbles and daily drinkers.
Tyler Fabian

YLee

#1022 Post by YLee »

The Star Treatment NDA from WA might be Kistler?
Is Kistler a "triple digit" wine though?
-¥ 0 ñ 9

ScottieB

#1023 Post by ScottieB »

YLee wrote: December 16th, 2020, 7:19 am The Star Treatment NDA from WA might be Kistler?
Yes, it seems that Kistler is more like in the $65-80 range. Also, they are not typically in the high 90s in ratings...
B e c k m a n

James D.

#1024 Post by James D. »

The Parker quote does imply Kistler, and Dwyer at Wellesley Wine Press suggests Kistler's Occidental. Seems plausible. https://occidentalwines.com/
D o i t

Arv R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1025 Post by Arv R »

Peter C. wrote: December 11th, 2020, 5:31 pm

I had 94 Grgich Cab a couple of years ago, it was good but had a touch of pyrazines
R_@_0

David Buck

#1026 Post by David Buck »

Asked for a little more info on 2018 Radio Silence from customer service:

This particular wine was bottled in July, and we did provide a window for settling before bottling. I have a direct quote from our COO Andrew with regards to your question about the drinking window: I'd say these are ready to drink now, but I expect that they'd benefit tremendously from 2-3 years of cellaring, as the fruit and oak elements are showing well but some tertiary components will start to show themselves a few years from now which I believe will enhance them further.

Ben M a n d l e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1027 Post by Ben M a n d l e r »

YLee wrote: December 16th, 2020, 7:19 am The Star Treatment NDA from WA might be Kistler?
Ceritas was what came to mind when I read that description.
ITB

David Chow

#1028 Post by David Chow »

If anyone missed out on the 2018 Yesterday Napa Valley last time, it's available again. I just grabbed some.

https://www.wineaccess.com/catalog/2018 ... 7ea7787ce/

m. ristev

#1029 Post by m. ristev »

https://www.wineaccess.com/catalog/2017 ... e1a5eb7f5/

finally, here is some serious white burg up for offer. they seem to be sourcing some better producers lately. for what seemed like forever the 'best' they were offering from the cote was louis latour [pwn.gif]

just in case you need a referral [snort.gif]
mајкл

Arv R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1030 Post by Arv R »

fwiw, I got my first shipment from them recently - mostly Jaboulet bottlings - and was impressed with the attention to detail, little cards, etc. The selection seems kind of thin at the moment, so I'm not sure how much I'll be buying on a regular (vs opportunistic) basis, but like what I'm seeing.

Their Hold Til Ship seems to have worked better than WDC...where I'm still chasing a lost shipment.
R_@_0

RandyF.

#1031 Post by RandyF. »

Anyone have some insight into this new WA private label wine, Phoenix Cabernet 2017? (Where are the grapes from, has anyone tasted it?)

- Randy

2017 The Phoenix Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley 750 ml
Cabernet Sauvignon 2017 United States Napa Valley
Today’s offer is a wine siphoned off from a multi-million-dollar cellar, a Cabernet Sauvignon that has never been sold before or been made available to anyone else—an incredible chance at Napa’s best.

This is a wine siphoned off from a multi-million-dollar cellar, a Cabernet Sauvignon that has never been sold before or been made available to anyone else—an incredible opportunity to acquire Napa’s best.

We know the estate behind this release intimately: We’ve celebrated birthdays in the grand, raftered dining room, spent late nights in the fermentation rooms and cave, and sipped wines at the long oak table with visiting stars.

The resplendently rich 2017 The Phoenix Cabernet Sauvignon is the result of that deeply personal partnership, formed not just out of professional convenience, but deep friendship.

In order to protect its value, we have to refrain from naming the estate—one that many of you are already passionately dedicated to as fans. It’s a winery that Robert Parker has counted among his Napa Valley “superstars,” and that Food & Wine has profiled as “one of the valley’s most exquisite small gems.”

This hallowed house expends untold resources on honing single-vineyard releases to perfection. Collectors carve out precious space for these cuvées—which have nabbed numerous 98-100 point scores from Wine Advocate—on their cult Cabernet shelves, alongside bottles of Harlan, Colgin, Screaming Eagle, and Dalla Valle.

Those with a talent for blind tasting may even be able to pick up on a few signature tells, as this is a release absolutely typified by the estate’s touchstone style: creamy in texture, brooding, and explosively powerful. It pours deep purple, with notions of blackberry, cedar, dried herbs, and fresh tobacco drifting up from the glass as this Napa giant arises from slumber. Firm, granular tannins support a sturdy frame built on the Rutherford Bench and Howell Mountain, as black cherry, mocha, and allspice mingle harmoniously on the palate.

We know the vineyards that make this kind of quality possible like the back of our hand—their nuanced hillsides and sun-dappled valleys, which produce around just 600 cases of wine a year, a cut made from the best of the best. When the opportunity arose to help put a hand at the tiller and produce a bottle exclusively for Wine Access, we knew just the plots, even the individual rows, where we wanted to go.

One site, marked by gravelly loam soils, produces grapes that show classic notes of the prized Rutherford Bench region: hints of earthy spice worked in dense, dark, rich fruit. The second vineyard rests on a mountain slope, whose elevation and rugged, rocky soil provide the taut acidity and mineral-infused structure that mark this bottle as first class. The warmest of their three main vineyards turns up the volume, the source of their densest, most full-bodied Cabernet.

We put our favorite pieces together, along with small touches of Petit Verdot, Merlot, and Malbec to make The Phoenix even more polished and approachable in the short term. Born of friendship, it’s a wine to share with those you’re closest to—but a bottle will disappear faster than you might think.

Wine Access Tasting Notes
Deep purple, lightly staining the glass. Ripe but not overripe on the nose, notions of black currant, blackberry, cedar, dried herbs, tilled earth, violets, and fresh tobacco build as the wine opens in the glass. The freshness of aromas carries through to the palate, with firm, granular tannins the support its medium-full bodied frame. Black cherry, mocha, allspice, and a touch of coffee mingle harmoniously on the palate, lingering through the finish. Drink now - 2028.
F 1 n 1 3 y

Vivek K.

#1032 Post by Vivek K. »

Probably DANA Estate
RandyF. wrote: December 23rd, 2020, 6:31 am Anyone have some insight into this new WA private label wine, Phoenix Cabernet 2017? (Where are the grapes from, has anyone tasted it?)

- Randy

Today’s offer is a wine siphoned off from a multi-million-dollar cellar, a Cabernet Sauvignon that has never been sold before or been made available to anyone else—an incredible chance at Napa’s best.

This is a wine siphoned off from a multi-million-dollar cellar, a Cabernet Sauvignon that has never been sold before or been made available to anyone else—an incredible opportunity to acquire Napa’s best.

We know the estate behind this release intimately: We’ve celebrated birthdays in the grand, raftered dining room, spent late nights in the fermentation rooms and cave, and sipped wines at the long oak table with visiting stars.

The resplendently rich 2017 The Phoenix Cabernet Sauvignon is the result of that deeply personal partnership, formed not just out of professional convenience, but deep friendship.

In order to protect its value, we have to refrain from naming the estate—one that many of you are already passionately dedicated to as fans. It’s a winery that Robert Parker has counted among his Napa Valley “superstars,” and that Food & Wine has profiled as “one of the valley’s most exquisite small gems.”

This hallowed house expends untold resources on honing single-vineyard releases to perfection. Collectors carve out precious space for these cuvées—which have nabbed numerous 98-100 point scores from Wine Advocate—on their cult Cabernet shelves, alongside bottles of Harlan, Colgin, Screaming Eagle, and Dalla Valle.

Those with a talent for blind tasting may even be able to pick up on a few signature tells, as this is a release absolutely typified by the estate’s touchstone style: creamy in texture, brooding, and explosively powerful. It pours deep purple, with notions of blackberry, cedar, dried herbs, and fresh tobacco drifting up from the glass as this Napa giant arises from slumber. Firm, granular tannins support a sturdy frame built on the Rutherford Bench and Howell Mountain, as black cherry, mocha, and allspice mingle harmoniously on the palate.

We know the vineyards that make this kind of quality possible like the back of our hand—their nuanced hillsides and sun-dappled valleys, which produce around just 600 cases of wine a year, a cut made from the best of the best. When the opportunity arose to help put a hand at the tiller and produce a bottle exclusively for Wine Access, we knew just the plots, even the individual rows, where we wanted to go.

One site, marked by gravelly loam soils, produces grapes that show classic notes of the prized Rutherford Bench region: hints of earthy spice worked in dense, dark, rich fruit. The second vineyard rests on a mountain slope, whose elevation and rugged, rocky soil provide the taut acidity and mineral-infused structure that mark this bottle as first class. The warmest of their three main vineyards turns up the volume, the source of their densest, most full-bodied Cabernet.

We put our favorite pieces together, along with small touches of Petit Verdot, Merlot, and Malbec to make The Phoenix even more polished and approachable in the short term. Born of friendship, it’s a wine to share with those you’re closest to—but a bottle will disappear faster than you might think.

Deep purple, lightly staining the glass. Ripe but not overripe on the nose, notions of black currant, blackberry, cedar, dried herbs, tilled earth, violets, and fresh tobacco build as the wine opens in the glass. The freshness of aromas carries through to the palate, with firm, granular tannins the support its medium-full bodied frame. Black cherry, mocha, allspice, and a touch of coffee mingle harmoniously on the palate, lingering through the finish. Drink now - 2028.
K u l k @ r n i

FMansfield
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1033 Post by FMansfield »

Vivek K. wrote: December 23rd, 2020, 6:54 am Probably DANA Estate
RandyF. wrote: December 23rd, 2020, 6:31 am Anyone have some insight into this new WA private label wine, Phoenix Cabernet 2017? (Where are the grapes from, has anyone tasted it?)

- Randy

What makes you say DANA?
F r e d e r i c k

Vivek K.

#1034 Post by Vivek K. »

FMansfield wrote: December 23rd, 2020, 7:17 am
Vivek K. wrote: December 23rd, 2020, 6:54 am Probably DANA Estate

- Randy

What makes you say DANA?
They have vineyards in both places and the f&w quote fits. https://www.danaestates.com/assets/uplo ... d-wine.pdf
K u l k @ r n i

YLee

#1035 Post by YLee »

Didnt WA previously have a NDA wine from DANA?
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Erich Sachse
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1036 Post by Erich Sachse »

Yeah, would be shocked if this is anything other than Dana —- the three vineyard sites, soil descriptions, production all match, and already have a relationship as they have offered Onda.

From Napa Wine Project:
Their property sits in the north east portion of the Rutherford appellation, just south of the St. Helena appellation and is located on the Rutherford Bench; soils that are not directly on the valley floor yet not a part of the Maycamas mountains either. This is a slightly elevated section of land on the western side of the Rutherford appellation that has formed during millions of years through erosion. As a result, these soils are composed of both gravel and loam and provide excellent drainage.

Their other three vineyards are hillside, located on the other side of the valley in the Vaca mountains. The Hershey Vineyard is located at about 1,800 feet on Howell Mountain and is planted to nearly 35 acres of vines. Winemaker Chris Cooney calls this their most complex vineyard site with its multiple exposures, numerous soil types and six varietals including Sauvignon Blanc. The Lotus Vineyard is around 1200 feet on the slopes just below the Howell Mountain appellation and lies directly above the Crystal Springs Vineyard (around 800 feet in elevation).

YLee

#1037 Post by YLee »

" This is a wine siphoned off from a multi-million-dollar cellar, a Cabernet Sauvignon that has never been sold before or been made available to anyone else "

Sounds like a new bottling they were going to release or project?

If that's the case it would be hard to really price this.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

David Crow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1038 Post by David Crow »

YLee wrote: December 23rd, 2020, 8:14 am Didnt WA previously have a NDA wine from DANA?
It was speculated (and I think highly likely) that the 2018 Yesterday Howell Mountain was sourced from Dana’s Hershey vineyard on Howell Mountain. I agree this sounds like Dana Estate. Wine Access is also currently offering the Dana Vaso label (their 3rd tier wine) for $85.

David Buck

#1039 Post by David Buck »

YLee wrote: December 23rd, 2020, 12:02 pm " This is a wine siphoned off from a multi-million-dollar cellar, a Cabernet Sauvignon that has never been sold before or been made available to anyone else "

This must of been offered before??

reviews on it:

https://www.vivino.com/phoenix-cabernet ... &year=2017

Erich Sachse
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1040 Post by Erich Sachse »

I went for a few — haven’t had a Dana recently, so worth a spin for me. Even if this is a third/fourth wine (behind estate/VASO/Onda), fair pricing.

Also have some nice deals on other Napa cabs with the 20% Wine Spectator link posted up thread:

2018 Bevan Ontogeny $95 - 20% = $76
2017 Pott Kaliholmanok $125 - 20% = $100

John L Hall

#1041 Post by John L Hall »

Looking to buy a few extra bottles. Any thoughts on the Phoenix vs Wolfe Grad, both in the 2017 vintage? Thinking Phoenix at this point. Anyone tried either? Thanks and happy holidays!

MarkY

#1042 Post by MarkY »

David Buck wrote: December 23rd, 2020, 12:16 pm
YLee wrote: December 23rd, 2020, 12:02 pm " This is a wine siphoned off from a multi-million-dollar cellar, a Cabernet Sauvignon that has never been sold before or been made available to anyone else "

This must of been offered before??

reviews on it:

https://www.vivino.com/phoenix-cabernet ... &year=2017
If the reviews are legit, it may be a reasonable bet it is Dana since most reviews appear to be Korean and Dana is owned by Mr. Hi Sung Lee!

I bit on it!
Why 1 n

Vivek K.

#1043 Post by Vivek K. »

John L Hall wrote: December 23rd, 2020, 7:30 pm Looking to buy a few extra bottles. Any thoughts on the Phoenix vs Wolfe Grad, both in the 2017 vintage? Thinking Phoenix at this point. Anyone tried either? Thanks and happy holidays!
Wolfe is likely hidden ridge, which oddly also has a wine with the brand name on the site too.
K u l k @ r n i

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1044 Post by Max S. »

Vivek K. wrote: December 24th, 2020, 6:29 am
John L Hall wrote: December 23rd, 2020, 7:30 pm Looking to buy a few extra bottles. Any thoughts on the Phoenix vs Wolfe Grad, both in the 2017 vintage? Thinking Phoenix at this point. Anyone tried either? Thanks and happy holidays!
Wolfe is likely hidden ridge, which oddly also has a wine with the brand name on the site too.
What confuses me is that Immortal Estate used to have the name Hidden Ridge and the label looks exactly the same as what WA is selling as Hidden Ridge. Is Hidden Ridge the same as Immortal Estate's Slope bottling?
5 w 0 m l 3 y

Rohit B

#1045 Post by Rohit B »

Opened a few of the WA wines with family; posting the tasting notes here as well.

Yesterday Oakville 2018

Excellent. Decanted for 12 hours.

Nose is beautiful dark red fruits (black cherry, raspberry, well integrated oak vanilla scents). Palate is medium low acid, smooth red fruits and full bodied. Finish has some wonderful oak flavors but not overpowering. More towards baking spice and vanilla.

I’ve had this previously when it was only decanted for 3 hours and the tannins were certainly present. I did not feel significant tannins here, which I attribute to the extended decant. Shared with family who all loved it. Happy to have a bunch more.

2014 Moundsman Cabernet Sauvignon

Not my style of wine. I’m more of a new-world and fruit forward style and this is certainly not it.

Nose is mostly cedar, oak, maybe cigar box, a hint of dark fruit. Medium full body, some dark red fruit on the palate. Fine grained tannins, smooth finish, but had a weird aftertaste I did not like at all. Maybe it was smoky? This was more sink than drink.

2017 Radio Silence

Smooth smooth smooth.

Very smooth nose—dark fruits and oak. Palate is exceptionally smooth. Medium low acid, good structure, more dark blue and black fruits. Maybe some vanilla as well. Finish is smooth smooth smooth. No rough edges or elbows sticking out anywhere here.

All around a smooth and crowd pleasing wine. Shared with family who previously haven’t enjoyed “serious” wines and they all loved it. Happy to have more.
13 h @ n

Rohit B

#1046 Post by Rohit B »

Opened “the ringer” and “concept album” tonight as well.

The Ringer

Decanted for 10 or so hours.

Earthy nose, a little bit of blackberry bramble, but overall was still pretty tight.

Palate is medium full body, good acid, blue and dark blue fruits. Finish is earthy and a lingering hint of cocoa.

Not my favorite wine, I like a little more fruit. Nonetheless, a good wine that was enjoyed by all.

Concept Album Cabernet Sauvignon

Decanted for an hour, probably could’ve used more.

Profound depth of fruit on the nose, some gravel/graphite, and perhaps a bit of alcohol too. Palate is medium full body, acidity in balance, with fine tannins. Fruit is prominent on the palate. Finish has oaky flavors, chocolate and cinnamon and baking spice. This is a mountain Cabernet and the intensity of the fruit certainly lives up to the reputation.

In summary

In my opinion, Yesterday Oakville is the best of private labels I’ve had from WA. All of these wines were opened with family and Yesterday was the clear winner. Radio Silence 2017 and The Ringer were split for second place. Haven’t tried Yesterday Howell Mountain yet, though hopefully will find an excuse to open that soon.

Interestingly, I remember being very impressed with Concept Album when I first tried it a few months back. In comparison, I’m happy with it but it’s clearly a class apart.
Last edited by Rohit B on December 25th, 2020, 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
13 h @ n

eric z

#1047 Post by eric z »

It will be interesting to compare Concept Album (which I loved) and Wolfe Grade, since both suggest the same vineyards from Hidden Ridge / Immortal.
z1egenhagen

Andrew Heger

#1048 Post by Andrew Heger »

Popped and poured 2018 Radio Silence and 2018 Yesterday in succession last week.

Both were very tasty and easily worth the money.

As tasty as Yesterday was, Radio Silence was, for me, clearly better and certainly more approachable.

Had Radio Silence again on Christmas Eve. Everyone greatly enjoyed it and no expensive Bordeaux was injured in the making of the evening.

It's a terrific deal.

RandyF.

#1049 Post by RandyF. »

(post fixed)

Any thoughts on this new one? The oak / fruit / body estimates are all maxxed out, not sure if that is intriguing or worrisome. $24-30 a bottle.

2018 Giving Kitchen Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley 750 ml
Cabernet Sauvignon 2018 United States Napa Valley
Maayan Koschitzky is the man behind La Pelle, has worked at Screaming Eagle, and now directs winemaking at Atelier Melka. But we’ve never seen him more excited about a Cab than he is about this one.

The wine exudes first-class Napa Cab quality, from the ripe blue and blackberry aromas touched with mocha, vanilla, and pie spice, to the full body that finishes with super-fine tannins carrying toasted oak, cinnamon, and chocolate. It’s exactly what we expect from a winemaker whose limited releases fly into collectors’ cellars at $200+ per bottle.

Deep, opaque purple in color. Swirling the glass raises unctuous aromas of ripe and preserved blueberries, blackberries, and black cherry, supported by mocha, balsam, Madagascar vanilla, and pie spice. Full-bodied, with a rounded mouthfeel provided by super fine tannins. The jammy black fruit attack is followed by toasted oak, cinnamon, and chocolate hints that linger through the finish. Boldly fruity and opulent, this is a great value for Napa Cabernet. Drink now - 2025.

https://www.wineaccess.com/catalog/2018 ... #pdp-story
Last edited by RandyF. on December 27th, 2020, 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
F 1 n 1 3 y

Eric White
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1050 Post by Eric White »

wrong thread Randy :)

Return to “Wine Talk”