WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#1501 Post by Michae1 P0wers »

MikeY wrote: April 13th, 2021, 6:24 am 2019 The Wonderland Project Nº 9 Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley: Yet another NDA cab but the pricing & description doesn't make much sense.

"Historically, the easiest ways to enjoy The Wonderland Project’s Nº 9 Napa Cabernet would be to buy a bottle straight from the winery, or to dine at The French Laundry, where you’d pay $105."

Checking the French Laundry wine list (https://hub.binwise.com/winelists/frenc ... -list.html), there are no cabs even close to $105 in price. Furthermore, as the French Laundry seems to have a 2.5-3x mark-up in retail price (based on Ridge Monte Bello 2016), that would make the winery price of this cab $35 to $42, which is basically what the NDA wine costs. What's going on? Is this all hype?
I've never dined at TFL, but might they have a BTG program or wines not on the list? Or it could have been available in the past. I have no idea but it does seem an odd thing to completely fabricate.

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1502 Post by MatthewT »

Luca Giupponi wrote: April 13th, 2021, 7:31 am
MikeY wrote: April 13th, 2021, 6:24 am Checking the French Laundry wine list (https://hub.binwise.com/winelists/frenc ... -list.html), there are no cabs even close to $105 in price. Furthermore, as the French Laundry seems to have a 2.5-3x mark-up in retail price (based on Ridge Monte Bello 2016), that would make the winery price of this cab $35 to $42, which is basically what the NDA wine costs. What's going on? Is this all hype?
I've probably read close to 50 various NDA/blowout deals this year saying something to the effect of "you can either drink this for $4x at the French Laundry or buy it at $x from us".
Yah me too. I find it really silly for the reasons stated in this thread. Just tell me the comp value retail from the winery - or even better - highest discounted under it's own label somewhere. That's the comp that matters, not what it costs in Space.
I'm a Turk

MikeY
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1503 Post by MikeY »

Michae1 P0wers wrote: April 13th, 2021, 7:40 am
MikeY wrote: April 13th, 2021, 6:24 am 2019 The Wonderland Project Nº 9 Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley: Yet another NDA cab but the pricing & description doesn't make much sense.

"Historically, the easiest ways to enjoy The Wonderland Project’s Nº 9 Napa Cabernet would be to buy a bottle straight from the winery, or to dine at The French Laundry, where you’d pay $105."

Checking the French Laundry wine list (https://hub.binwise.com/winelists/frenc ... -list.html), there are no cabs even close to $105 in price. Furthermore, as the French Laundry seems to have a 2.5-3x mark-up in retail price (based on Ridge Monte Bello 2016), that would make the winery price of this cab $35 to $42, which is basically what the NDA wine costs. What's going on? Is this all hype?
I've never dined at TFL, but might they have a BTG program or wines not on the list? Or it could have been available in the past. I have no idea but it does seem an odd thing to completely fabricate.
Even if this was previously listed at TFL or really at any other typical restaurant, saying that a wine costs $3X at a restaurant compared to what you could pay at the store is like saying water is wet. I feel sorry sometimes for the copy writers at Wine Access. "Psst... because we know someone who knows someone, we have a secret line into this magnificent wine, and it's only open to anyone who can read this website."

All that being said, Wine Access is still an excellent company with a decent selection at a decent price and terrific customer service. Maybe they could dial the hype down just a tad.
Y e h

kendall c
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#1504 Post by kendall c »

MikeY wrote: April 13th, 2021, 2:48 pm

Even if this was previously listed at TFL or really at any other typical restaurant, saying that a wine costs $3X at a restaurant compared to what you could pay at the store is like saying water is wet. I feel sorry sometimes for the copy writers at Wine Access. "Psst... because we know someone who knows someone, we have a secret line into this magnificent wine, and it's only open to anyone who can read this website."

All that being said, Wine Access is still an excellent company with a decent selection at a decent price and terrific customer service. Maybe they could dial the hype down just a tad.
Maybe Scribe Atlas East Cabernet?

Scribe: https://scribewinery.com/journal/atlas- ... ribe-wine/
"Atlas Peak is as beautiful as it is rugged, as delicate as it is demanding. The vineyard sits on the southeastern facing slope, a rare exposure that allows for lots of morning sun and ridgeline shade in the afternoon. This cool ripening at 1,600 feet (well above the fogline) produces bright, energetic fruit that is unmistakably mountainside Napa."

WineAccess:
"The primary vineyard site has been organically farmed since 2004, and the wine shows off the concentration and power of a vineyard at 1,600 feet of elevation, where the fog burns off easily and the grapes are forced to grow thick skins that translate to extra power in the finished wine. A bit of new oak for 17 months contributes a silky mouthfeel, and adds a hint of spice before the wine is bottled unfined and unfiltered for optimal flavor and impact."
k 3 n . c h v @ n g

Vivek K.

#1505 Post by Vivek K. »

Not a WineAccess NDA wine- looks to be a boutique Atlas peak wine.

https://www.thewonderlandprojectwines.c ... _2019_.pdf
kendall c wrote: April 13th, 2021, 8:41 pm

"Atlas Peak is as beautiful as it is rugged, as delicate as it is demanding. The vineyard sits on the southeastern facing slope, a rare exposure that allows for lots of morning sun and ridgeline shade in the afternoon. This cool ripening at 1,600 feet (well above the fogline) produces bright, energetic fruit that is unmistakably mountainside Napa."

WineAccess:
"The primary vineyard site has been organically farmed since 2004, and the wine shows off the concentration and power of a vineyard at 1,600 feet of elevation, where the fog burns off easily and the grapes are forced to grow thick skins that translate to extra power in the finished wine. A bit of new oak for 17 months contributes a silky mouthfeel, and adds a hint of spice before the wine is bottled unfined and unfiltered for optimal flavor and impact."
K u l k @ r n i

Justin L.

#1506 Post by Justin L. »

2018 Stay Home Cabernet was available late last night for me. Picked up a case as it was tough to pass up after the 20% off and $50 credit.
Justin Lavine

MikeY
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1507 Post by MikeY »

Vivek K. wrote: April 14th, 2021, 5:07 am Not a WineAccess NDA wine- looks to be a boutique Atlas peak wine.

https://www.thewonderlandprojectwines.c ... _2019_.pdf
kendall c wrote: April 13th, 2021, 8:41 pm

WineAccess:
Got it. It's from NDA-protected vineyards and is not an NDA wine. So, a negociant-created wine. $50 retail. $105 at TFL. On sale at WA.
Y e h

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1508 Post by Max S. »

There are 6 bottles of the 2016 Vignamaggio Monna Lisa Gran Selezione back up. With these small amounts I always wonder if someone popped a bottle, thought it was complete shit, and sent it back.
"And just to be clear, this is a post criticizing people who criticize people who criticize for a living . . ." - J Bloom

5 w 0 m l 3 y

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1509 Post by Michae1 P0wers »

Max S. wrote: April 14th, 2021, 7:51 am There are 6 bottles of the 2016 Vignamaggio Monna Lisa Gran Selezione back up. With these small amounts I always wonder if someone popped a bottle, thought it was complete shit, and sent it back.
Seems unlikely since they don't seem to want any returns even when someone is unhappy with bottles. Maybe an order cancellation though, or a delivery error that resulted in wine being returned to them.

As an aside though, having been burned on one of their CCR suggestions I am skeptical of their offerings from the region unless it is supported with external reviews or is a known quantity.

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1510 Post by Max S. »

Michae1 P0wers wrote: April 14th, 2021, 8:20 am Seems unlikely since they don't seem to want any returns even when someone is unhappy with bottles. Maybe an order cancellation though, or a delivery error that resulted in wine being returned to them.

As an aside though, having been burned on one of their CCR suggestions I am skeptical of their offerings from the region unless it is supported with external reviews or is a known quantity.
VM gave it a 94, and the notes seemed reasonable, so I went for it. Which CCR were you burned on?
"And just to be clear, this is a post criticizing people who criticize people who criticize for a living . . ." - J Bloom

5 w 0 m l 3 y

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1511 Post by Michae1 P0wers »

Upon looking at CT, I see it was a CC, not a CCR. 2016 Canonica a Cerreto Chianti Classico. Just extremely modern and international in style, despite only 10% merlot in the mix. Could have been a Napa cab for all that I could tell, and I drink a lot of CC/CCR. Loads of oak and no sangiovese character whatsoever. That said, it received 92 pts from VM, JS, and WS, so I'm the outlier. I can't fault WA too much, so this is more of a reminder to myself to stick to producers I trust and those recommended by people whose palates I trust. There are plenty such suggestions on this board so it's not like I really need to be taking a flyer on an unknown anyway.

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1512 Post by Max S. »

The Jaboulet Hermitage Maison Bleu is back up as well - I think the only Hermitage I can afford at $40/bottle after code...

5 w 0 m l 3 y

K N Haque
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1513 Post by K N Haque »

Has anyone else had the order of their promotions change? I had the $100 off $250 set to go, with the 21% birthday offer after it in the queue, but after the tax day 15% promo ended these have flipped for me. I should have pulled the trigger on the $100 off sooner, but am on moratorium after two other WA purchases in the last month!
K @ m @ @ l

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1514 Post by Max S. »

K N Haque wrote: April 19th, 2021, 2:27 pm Has anyone else had the order of their promotions change?
It's never changed in my queue, but I have a 21% code above a 15% code and it's skipped down to the 15% code.

5 w 0 m l 3 y

rsmithjr

#1515 Post by rsmithjr »

Jidhin R. wrote: March 19th, 2021, 8:16 am
rsmithjr wrote: March 19th, 2021, 6:40 am Ordered 5 of the 2017 Vista Reserve Cab. Sauv. Diamond Mountain. Taking a shot....
Purchased a few bottles of this last year. Very dark, heavy, and intense. For 30 or less this is really good but you'll need to decant it for a long time or maybe a open the night before kinda wine. Forgot to take notes. I got 4 and put the other 3 away to open much later this year or next. I very good Diamond Mountain District wine though, especially at that price.
Going to open one up for a 4 hour decant for tonites steak cook off.
Roger Smith- Longtime wine drinker and bon vivant' and unofficial De Negoce' FANBOY.....

Rohit B

#1516 Post by Rohit B »

Yesterday Howell Mountain was thought to Hershey Vineyard from Dana Estates--sounds like those of us who purchased got the smoke taint leftover.

From James Suckling IG post: "James Suckling tastes Dana Estates' 2018 wines

We already know that the 2018 vintage is a winner in Napa Valley and I tasted a handful of wines from Dana Estates, one of the cult wine producers of the region. I found the wines to be some of the best I have rated so far from 2018. And the two single-vineyard wines, Helms Vineyard and Lotus Vineyard, showed incredible depth and intensity with fantastically strong yet polished, fine tannins that gave the wine form and beauty. They didn’t produce a wine from Hershey Vineyard in 2018 due to some concerns of smoke from fires north of Napa that had settled in their highest vineyards in Howell Mountain. "

13 h @ n

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1517 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f »

2016 San Giorgio Ugolforte BdM seemed like a no-brainer to use my 100/250 on, so I grabbed a sixer.

Now the problem is that I have 2 different 15% off your next three orders and WA stacked them in front of the 50/150.... [soap.gif]

Does anyone have thoughts or experience with the 2015 Andretta CCR? No CT notes, and the only Andretta note I find on WB is for a 2009 BdM described as oaky and weird...

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1518 Post by Max S. »

D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote: April 24th, 2021, 8:27 am 2016 San Giorgio Ugolforte BdM seemed like a no-brainer to use my 100/250 on, so I grabbed a sixer.

Now the problem is that I have 2 different 15% off your next three orders and WA stacked them in front of the 50/150.... [soap.gif]

Does anyone have thoughts or experience with the 2015 Andretta CCR? No CT notes, and the only Andretta note I find on WB is for a 2009 BdM described as oaky and weird...
No luck on the Andretta, and at that price there's too much good stuff to take a flyer with my budget. For the discount, I had the 3x15% at the top of my list, but after my birthday on Wednesday the 21% birthday coupon I had went up to the top which I was happy to see.

Also have a $100 credit from $1,000 purchases. Currently trying to decide between:

-1x Krug
-2x Bevan Ontogeny
-2x Altesino Montosoli
-2x Henri Gouges Clos des Porrets

I don't really have anything like those in my cellar, kind of leaning towards the Krug and the Gouges. Anyone have thoughts? They're all from areas I don't have a lot of experience with and I've been trying to buy at least 2 bottles of the same label at a time.

5 w 0 m l 3 y

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1519 Post by Michae1 P0wers »

Can't go wrong with Krug, though even with 21% off you might be able to beat their price. Gouges is very good, but can take a long (long) time to come around. Some have suggested this is less the case in recent vintages but I can't say personally as I haven't had any recent vintages. If you're looking at Champagne, the Laherte Brut Nature is excellent.

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1520 Post by Max S. »

Michae1 P0wers wrote: April 24th, 2021, 9:06 am Can't go wrong with Krug, though even with 21% off you might be able to beat their price. Gouges is very good, but can take a long (long) time to come around. Some have suggested this is less the case in recent vintages but I can't say personally as I haven't had any recent vintages. If you're looking at Champagne, the Laherte Brut Nature is excellent.
Thanks Michael! Only reason I was considering the Krug is the $100 credit+20% off takes it down to $60. I'm leaning towards the Gouges though because I don't plan on cellaring a lot of burg and I feel like getting it now to open in 15-20 years might be the way to go.

5 w 0 m l 3 y

joejolesch

#1521 Post by joejolesch »

Ontogeny has a lot of fans here, I’ve been eyeing it too. Same with the nine suns sunbird, would welcome any feedback. One of each plus a laherte bdb hits the $250 perfectly.

I’ve also been sitting on the birthday 21% which has jumped in front of the $100 of $250. Fortunately someone just used my referral code which puts the Krug at $108 shipped. Not sure I can resist that unless the Billecart Salmons are the better buy?
WOTY - 2017 W&M Shifflett Cab

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1522 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f »

The 21% coupon was ahead of the 100/250 in my queue and I've already used it (and my $100 credit).

Max, you may want to check on the Bevan, it's showing "not eligible for promotions" for me.

I also bought some of the Gouges when it was first posted as a "limited time offer" which came with a further discounted price of $72 if you bought 6, which should arrive today. With the 20% coupon I had at the time, that seemed like another no-brainer to me.

Looking for some cheapies to use my 15% coupons on. I'd have bought some of the Basciano they had listed for a long time, but it seems to finally be gone.

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1523 Post by Max S. »

D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote: April 24th, 2021, 9:19 am The 21% coupon was ahead of the 100/250 in my queue and I've already used it (and my $100 credit).

Max, you may want to check on the Bevan, it's showing "not eligible for promotions" for me.

I also bought some of the Gouges when it was first posted as a "limited time offer" which came with a further discounted price of $72 if you bought 6, which should arrive today. With the 20% coupon I had at the time, that seemed like another no-brainer to me.

Looking for some cheapies to use my 15% coupons on. I'd have bought some of the Basciano they had listed for a long time, but it seems to finally be gone.
Yea I saw the mention of the Gouges upthread. I may hold for now in the hopes that one of those further discounts comes around that really speaks to me.

5 w 0 m l 3 y

Frank Z
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1524 Post by Frank Z »

Rohit B wrote: April 20th, 2021, 11:18 am Yesterday Howell Mountain was thought to Hershey Vineyard from Dana Estates--sounds like those of us who purchased got the smoke taint leftover.

From James Suckling IG post: "James Suckling tastes Dana Estates' 2018 wines

We already know that the 2018 vintage is a winner in Napa Valley and I tasted a handful of wines from Dana Estates, one of the cult wine producers of the region. I found the wines to be some of the best I have rated so far from 2018. And the two single-vineyard wines, Helms Vineyard and Lotus Vineyard, showed incredible depth and intensity with fantastically strong yet polished, fine tannins that gave the wine form and beauty. They didn’t produce a wine from Hershey Vineyard in 2018 due to some concerns of smoke from fires north of Napa that had settled in their highest vineyards in Howell Mountain. "

Many consumers don’t seem to realize but even 2018 in Napa had good and bads. The smoke had blown over into Howell Mountain AVA from the Lake County fire that year, so there is very much a possibly of smoke taint in these wines, albeit undetectable now. Several Napa winemakers have shared to exercise caution on 2018 Howell Mountain wines, and try to taste them before purchasing, which I will absolutely be doing.
Frank Zhang

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1525 Post by Michae1 P0wers »

D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote: April 24th, 2021, 9:19 am
It's not currently in stock (and therefore maybe not very helpful!) but they sometimes carry the Paltrinieri Lambrusco di Sorbada Radice, which I think is awesome. I've seen it at both $20 and $22 before discount. It has the strawberry soda profile people often favorably note in Bugey-Cerdon, but much drier. I find Bugey-Cerdon to be somewhat cloying. The Lambrusco may have a touch of RS, but just a hint. I expect to go through a lot of it over the summer.

C. Heinsen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1526 Post by C. Heinsen »

2018 Moundsman St. Helena is out on East Coast.
Any guesses to source?
C h r i s

David Crow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1527 Post by David Crow »

C. Heinsen wrote: April 25th, 2021, 9:54 am 2018 Moundsman St. Helena is out on East Coast.
Any guesses to source?
Sounds like Lewelling. In St Helena, family owned, dates from the 1860s, and has been described by Parker as Pauillac-like.

Kevin Patrick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1528 Post by Kevin Patrick »

C. Heinsen wrote: April 25th, 2021, 9:54 am 2018 Moundsman St. Helena is out on East Coast.
Any guesses to source?
I recall the group never really coming to much of a consensus on this one so the Lewelling guess is probably as specific as anyone has been other than simply tossing out Rutherford names.

The inability to more closely guess where the grapes came from led me to initially pass on purchasing. I later purchased a 6-pack and have been very pleased with the purchase. After discounts, credits, etc my cost was probably $22-24 per bottle and for that price point this was a fantastic purchase.

In my experience the wine needs 90 - 120 minutes to open up before drinking.

David Crow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1529 Post by David Crow »

Kevin Patrick wrote: April 25th, 2021, 2:06 pm
Any guesses to source?
I recall the group never really coming to much of a consensus on this one so the Lewelling guess is probably as specific as anyone has been other than simply tossing out Rutherford names.

The inability to more closely guess where the grapes came from led me to initially pass on purchasing. I later purchased a 6-pack and have been very pleased with the purchase. After discounts, credits, etc my cost was probably $22-24 per bottle and for that price point this was a fantastic purchase.

I believe this is a different Moundsman than the one previously released. There was a 2018 Rutherford Moundsman that was pretty clearly from George III grapes(but an unknown producer). This new one is from St Helena and I’m pretty sure is Lewelling.

Pat P
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#1530 Post by Pat P »

David Crow wrote: April 25th, 2021, 2:31 pm
Any guesses to source?

I believe this is a different Moundsman than the one previously released. There was a 2018 Rutherford Moundsman that was pretty clearly from George III grapes(but an unknown producer). This new one is from St Helena and I’m pretty sure is Lewelling.
Correct, the previous one was Moundsman Rutherford. One of my favorite NDA's so far.
P 1 5 @ N 0

Kevin Patrick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1531 Post by Kevin Patrick »

David Crow wrote: April 25th, 2021, 2:31 pm I believe this is a different Moundsman than the one previously released. There was a 2018 Rutherford Moundsman that was pretty clearly from George III grapes(but an unknown producer). This new one is from St Helena and I’m pretty sure is Lewelling.

My bad.

Very interesting. I didn't read anything past "Moundsman" and assumed it was a re-release of their previous offering. I did think it was curious that they offered the volume discount which is usually only offered during its first release. Now makes sense since this is an entirely new offering.

Thanks for pointing this out.

G. Singh

#1532 Post by G. Singh »

Any guesses to source?

Don't think Lewelling sells for $145 ? ? ?
G u r k i r p a l

H.Ma

#1533 Post by H.Ma »

G. Singh wrote: April 25th, 2021, 3:27 pm

Don't think Lewelling sells for $145 ? ? ?
Per WA, “Other wineries that buy these grapes make Cabernets that cost as much as $145 per bottle.” It did not say that Lewelling sells for $145.
The guess Lewelling is based on “ After all, we were among the vines at one of the oldest continuously-owned family vineyards in Napa, dating back to the 1860s.” from WA vs.
“The vineyards of the historic Lewelling estate were established in 1864 near the western foothills in St. Helena.... Today their three sons, Alan, Doug and Dave, farm a 28-acre vineyard on a portion of the original estate, one of the oldest continuously-owned and farmed family vineyards in the Napa Valley.“ from Lewelling website
H e i n

joejolesch

#1534 Post by joejolesch »

Has anyone tried the Nine Suns Sunbird?
WOTY - 2017 W&M Shifflett Cab

Kurt_L

#1535 Post by Kurt_L »

in an interesting twist, wine.com is now selling the wineaccess editorial 2018 (NY warehouse). The list price is the same ($40) but promo discounts tend to be larger at wine.com if you are a stewardship member.
L @ v 3 t t i

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1536 Post by Max S. »

Kurt_L wrote: April 27th, 2021, 10:51 pm in an interesting twist, wine.com is now selling the wineaccess editorial 2018 (NY warehouse). The list price is the same ($40) but promo discounts tend to be larger at wine.com if you are a stewardship member.
That's weird, is this the beginning of the end?

5 w 0 m l 3 y

Jidhin R.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1537 Post by Jidhin R. »

Max S. wrote: April 28th, 2021, 7:33 am
Kurt_L wrote: April 27th, 2021, 10:51 pm in an interesting twist, wine.com is now selling the wineaccess editorial 2018 (NY warehouse). The list price is the same ($40) but promo discounts tend to be larger at wine.com if you are a stewardship member.
I've seen my local wine storage facility selling Editorial, though I think it was 2016 or 2017. Might have just made a significant amount of it. Prices were the same.
Blips and Chitz!!!

Ramankutty

David_K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1538 Post by David_K »

My WineAccess says "Happy Birthday" and is giving me 21% off. But I want my $100 off $250 coupon. It's also not anywhere near my birthday. How do I make it go away?
K@ntrОwi╦z

MattG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1539 Post by MattG »

David_K wrote: April 28th, 2021, 8:56 am My WineAccess says "Happy Birthday" and is giving me 21% off. But I want my $100 off $250 coupon. It's also not anywhere near my birthday. How do I make it go away?
You can’t. Have to use coupons in queue order
G@|’$1n

Jeff_M.
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#1540 Post by Jeff_M. »

David_K wrote: April 28th, 2021, 8:56 am My WineAccess says "Happy Birthday" and is giving me 21% off. But I want my $100 off $250 coupon. It's also not anywhere near my birthday. How do I make it go away?
The 21% off came in handy for me and I was able to stack that when the Musar came out. If you have an Amex offer you can stack the 21% off and the AO as long as the dollar amount meets the Amex offer minimum
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates
2007 Yangarra Estate High Sands Grenache
1986 Spottswoode Cabernet
2012 Hartford Court Arrendell Vineyard Pinot Noir

2021 WOTY Candidates
2010 O'Shaughnessy Mt. Veeder

sbrucek!ein

#1541 Post by sbrucek!ein »

Jidhin R. wrote: April 28th, 2021, 7:37 am
I've seen my local wine storage facility selling Editorial, though I think it was 2016 or 2017. Might have just made a significant amount of it. Prices were the same.
Gotta say, I'm not an expert at this stuff - have really only started getting more "serious" about wine during the pandemic - but I got some of that Editorial (it was 2015) and I really did not like it. It was easily my least favorite wine I've gotten from WineAccess (bad enough that I considered contacting them). In fact, I registered with WineBerserkers in part because I though it would be interesting to post here and get reactions to my experience. I found it to be disorganized, cloyingly syrupy and too aggressively high in alcohol. I've loved other offerings of high alcohol Cabs from WA - Sixteen Appellations and Wolfe Grade stood out for instance - so its not that I don't like high alcohol Cabs. So - not sure if maybe it was a bad bottle (I have another one), a style that I don't like (and if so, I'd like to know the style so I can avoid it), or others had also tried it and not liked it. Would love to hear if anyone else has tried it or if anyone has insights to share.
S h e l l e y

Chris Crutchfield
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1542 Post by Chris Crutchfield »

sbrucek!ein wrote: April 28th, 2021, 10:51 am
Jidhin R. wrote: April 28th, 2021, 7:37 am

Gotta say, I'm not an expert at this stuff - have really only started getting more "serious" about wine during the pandemic - but I got some of that Editorial (it was 2015) and I really did not like it. It was easily my least favorite wine I've gotten from WineAccess (bad enough that I considered contacting them). In fact, I registered with WineBerserkers in part because I though it would be interesting to post here and get reactions to my experience. I found it to be disorganized, cloyingly syrupy and too aggressively high in alcohol. I've loved other offerings of high alcohol Cabs from WA - Sixteen Appellations and Wolfe Grade stood out for instance - so its not that I don't like high alcohol Cabs. So - not sure if maybe it was a bad bottle (I have another one), a style that I don't like (and if so, I'd like to know the style so I can avoid it), or others had also tried it and not liked it. Would love to hear if anyone else has tried it or if anyone has insights to share.
I’m with you. I tried two different Editorials (2015 and 2018) and both were pretty awful.

David Buck

#1543 Post by David Buck »

Plus 1 on 2015 Editorial - watery...not good...I sent it back......

All the other NDAs have been great - 2018 Yesterday Reserve....Moundsman...2018 Radio Silence...Phoenix....

So far I think Wine Access NDAs are a cut above Cams NDAs....Consistently higher scores than Cams high end cabs on CT. But Cams seem to need a year after purchasing before drinking so comparisons not fair I guess.

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1544 Post by MatthewT »

David Buck wrote: April 28th, 2021, 2:25 pm Plus 1 on 2015 Editorial - watery...not good...I sent it back......

All the other NDAs have been great - 2018 Yesterday Reserve....Moundsman...2018 Radio Silence...Phoenix....

So far I think Wine Access NDAs are a cut above Cams NDAs....Consistently higher scores than Cams high end cabs on CT. But Cams seem to need a year after purchasing before drinking so comparisons not fair I guess.
The Wine Access ones are low 20's to high 30's. The DN ones are $13 to $18, mostly, inclusive of shipping. Generally speaking the Wine Access ones are 2x the price. I do wonder if people paying higher makes them score higher. I have bought a ton of Wine Access private labels and when I drink them I *think* I'm drinking something more special than a de Negoce. The mind is funny...
I'm a Turk

Kevin Patrick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1545 Post by Kevin Patrick »

MatthewT wrote: April 28th, 2021, 2:30 pm The Wine Access ones are low 20's to high 30's. The DN ones are $13 to $18, mostly, inclusive of shipping. Generally speaking the Wine Access ones are 2x the price. I do wonder if people paying higher makes them score higher. I have bought a ton of Wine Access private labels and when I drink them I *think* I'm drinking something more special than a de Negoce. The mind is funny...
Small quibble, Wine Access NDAs (almost all Cabs) would more closely be comparable to Cam's top-end Cabs which would put the all-in price comparison closer to $20 - $22 per bottle for de Negoce and $27 - 30 per bottle for Wine Access.

The difference here being a 35% - 50% premium for Wine Access.

This assumes the Wine Access buyer is:
a) purchasing either 6-bottles or spending $120 to get free shipping,
b) using coupon codes, whether they be 15% or 20% off, and
c) taking advantage of the volume discounts that typically kick in at 6 or 12 bottle lots.

Considering Cam's pricing model is based off case-only purchases I think that is the most fair way to compare these two.
MatthewT wrote: April 28th, 2021, 2:30 pm I do wonder if people paying higher makes them score higher.
Yes. Despite our best efforts anyone who says otherwise is deceiving themselves.

Albert R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1546 Post by Albert R »

David Buck wrote: April 28th, 2021, 2:25 pm Plus 1 on 2015 Editorial - watery...not good...I sent it back......

I am going to go -1 or against the grain on the Editorial. We love the 2015. Yes, it’s not a full throttle in your face cab but it is red fruited, has good acidity, balanced and ends with a really nice finish. I called it a pretty wine. We (party of 4) start with it and then move to a bigger wine.
@. Re-go

Pat P
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#1547 Post by Pat P »

Kevin Patrick wrote: April 28th, 2021, 3:03 pm
MatthewT wrote: April 28th, 2021, 2:30 pm I do wonder if people paying higher makes them score higher.
Yes. Despite our best efforts anyone who says otherwise is deceiving themselves.
I don't know, I'm kind of the opposite. The more I pay the more I expect and if it doesn't wow me, I rate it lower than a less expensive wine that doesn't wow me.
P 1 5 @ N 0

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1548 Post by MatthewT »

Kevin Patrick wrote: April 28th, 2021, 3:03 pm
MatthewT wrote: April 28th, 2021, 2:30 pm The Wine Access ones are low 20's to high 30's. The DN ones are $13 to $18, mostly, inclusive of shipping. Generally speaking the Wine Access ones are 2x the price. I do wonder if people paying higher makes them score higher. I have bought a ton of Wine Access private labels and when I drink them I *think* I'm drinking something more special than a de Negoce. The mind is funny...
Small quibble, Wine Access NDAs (almost all Cabs) would more closely be comparable to Cam's top-end Cabs which would put the all-in price comparison closer to $20 - $22 per bottle for de Negoce and $27 - 30 per bottle for Wine Access.

The difference here being a 35% - 50% premium for Wine Access.

This assumes the Wine Access buyer is:
a) purchasing either 6-bottles or spending $120 to get free shipping,
b) using coupon codes, whether they be 15% or 20% off, and
c) taking advantage of the volume discounts that typically kick in at 6 or 12 bottle lots.

Considering Cam's pricing model is based off case-only purchases I think that is the most fair way to compare these two.
That's fair, I just think most of the $20 dN's haven't been reviewed much on cellartracker as people letting them sit. The vast majority of Cab reviews are in the $13-$18 range (pre shipping).
I'm a Turk

B Stewart

#1549 Post by B Stewart »

WA is listing a 2018 Halpin Oakville Reserve which they say is more or less the same wine as the 2018 Yesterday Oakville. There's a tale about the Halpin guy buying one batch of Yesterday Oakville wine directly from the winemaker, who then bought more fruit to be made into another batch of Yesterday Oakville. Not sure I fully understand the twists and turns of their story, but multiple batches might explain the bottle variation in YO.
Our good friend Halpin is always a step ahead. But last August, we managed to one-up him. And then, Halpin reminded us that he’s not to be one-upped.

In classic Halpin fashion, he didn’t inform us of his plot. Halpin’s winemaker Ry Richards would break the news that an extremely special lot of wine he’d been saving for us was no longer ours. It had been bottled in the form of today’s 2018 Halpin Private Reserve Cabernet—with a newly-minted, special-edition black label.

The Oakville grape source is one that Halpin himself has boasted about when he’s raised bottles of the actual winery’s wine from his own cellar. “If you want better quality grapes,” he’s said, “You’d have to get them from a Bordeaux First Growth!”

Their flagship Cabernet starts at $500 upon release and rises into the stratosphere outside the mailing list. For most California Cabernet fanatics, the chance to taste even one glass would be enough to catapult them to Nirvana.

Here’s what happened: Halpin phoned Richards minutes after reading our missive about a wine called Yesterday. In it, we described the grape source as the apogee of classic Oakville terroir—a cult winery with a mailing list that sees a handful of spots open up in a decade, an estate on the receiving end of more 100-point scores than are worth recounting. We guess you could say you’d have to go to a Bordeaux First Growth to get anything better...

Halpin was bullish. He pressed Richards on the source, whether he’d “had a hand in making that Yesterday wine,” and if we’d exhausted our supply from that abundant 2018 vintage. Richards demurred at first, but grew helpless against Halpin’s rapid-fire interrogations, and having worked in the cellars of 100-point winemakers with equally fiery demeanors, he quickly devised “The Oakville Compromise,” which resulted in us learning a valuable lesson: that sometimes, the barrier to fine wine isn’t about access, it’s about the price someone is willing to pay to one-up their friends.

Richards, therefore, is this story’s antihero. Yes, he took our wine and re-sold it to Halpin at a premium, but he didn’t pocket the profits. He called us immediately, explained that the special project we’d been plotting would unexpectedly be a new Halpin release and that he’d garnered enough capital from Halpin to secure another lot of Oakville Cabernet (from the same source) that we should use before Halpin found out. More on that later… sorry Halpin!

The 2018 Halpin Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon offers a unique perspective—a bargain snapshot of fruit sourced from a legendary triple-digit Napa estate, showing a deep and brooding purple-ruby color in the glass and revealing both aromas and flavors that simply taste expensive. Enticing blueberry, black cherry, and lavish cedar notes are complemented by flavors of freshly rolled cigar, allspice, and crushed clove while this red balances grippy, firm tannins with the tension and coiled energy you’d expect of an Old World First Growth. All of this culminates in creamy layers of black fruit, savory spice, and mocha notes that linger through a purely Napa-opulent finish.
Here's a link: https://www.wineaccess.com/catalog/2018 ... 238e12a9f/

ScottieB

#1550 Post by ScottieB »

B Stewart wrote: April 30th, 2021, 5:31 pm WA is listing a 2018 Halpin Oakville Reserve which they say is more or less the same wine as the 2018 Yesterday Oakville. There's a tale about the Halpin guy buying one batch of Yesterday Oakville wine directly from the winemaker, who then bought more fruit to be made into another batch of Yesterday Oakville. Not sure I fully understand the twists and turns of their story, but multiple batches might explain the bottle variation in YO.
Our good friend Halpin is always a step ahead. But last August, we managed to one-up him. And then, Halpin reminded us that he’s not to be one-upped.

In classic Halpin fashion, he didn’t inform us of his plot. Halpin’s winemaker Ry Richards would break the news that an extremely special lot of wine he’d been saving for us was no longer ours. It had been bottled in the form of today’s 2018 Halpin Private Reserve Cabernet—with a newly-minted, special-edition black label.

The Oakville grape source is one that Halpin himself has boasted about when he’s raised bottles of the actual winery’s wine from his own cellar. “If you want better quality grapes,” he’s said, “You’d have to get them from a Bordeaux First Growth!”

Their flagship Cabernet starts at $500 upon release and rises into the stratosphere outside the mailing list. For most California Cabernet fanatics, the chance to taste even one glass would be enough to catapult them to Nirvana.

Here’s what happened: Halpin phoned Richards minutes after reading our missive about a wine called Yesterday. In it, we described the grape source as the apogee of classic Oakville terroir—a cult winery with a mailing list that sees a handful of spots open up in a decade, an estate on the receiving end of more 100-point scores than are worth recounting. We guess you could say you’d have to go to a Bordeaux First Growth to get anything better...

Halpin was bullish. He pressed Richards on the source, whether he’d “had a hand in making that Yesterday wine,” and if we’d exhausted our supply from that abundant 2018 vintage. Richards demurred at first, but grew helpless against Halpin’s rapid-fire interrogations, and having worked in the cellars of 100-point winemakers with equally fiery demeanors, he quickly devised “The Oakville Compromise,” which resulted in us learning a valuable lesson: that sometimes, the barrier to fine wine isn’t about access, it’s about the price someone is willing to pay to one-up their friends.

Richards, therefore, is this story’s antihero. Yes, he took our wine and re-sold it to Halpin at a premium, but he didn’t pocket the profits. He called us immediately, explained that the special project we’d been plotting would unexpectedly be a new Halpin release and that he’d garnered enough capital from Halpin to secure another lot of Oakville Cabernet (from the same source) that we should use before Halpin found out. More on that later… sorry Halpin!

The 2018 Halpin Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon offers a unique perspective—a bargain snapshot of fruit sourced from a legendary triple-digit Napa estate, showing a deep and brooding purple-ruby color in the glass and revealing both aromas and flavors that simply taste expensive. Enticing blueberry, black cherry, and lavish cedar notes are complemented by flavors of freshly rolled cigar, allspice, and crushed clove while this red balances grippy, firm tannins with the tension and coiled energy you’d expect of an Old World First Growth. All of this culminates in creamy layers of black fruit, savory spice, and mocha notes that linger through a purely Napa-opulent finish.
Here's a link: https://www.wineaccess.com/catalog/2018 ... 238e12a9f/
Have to say that WA overdoes it on their writeups. This particular one on Halpin is so twisted that it leaves me confused and not sure what to make of it...
B e c k m a n

Return to “Wine Talk”