WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
K N Haque
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#1451 Post by K N Haque »

D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote: April 1st, 2021, 3:46 pm
Max S. wrote: April 1st, 2021, 3:25 pm Looks like the 2016 Vignamaggio Monna Lisa Gran Selezione has been added as well. Looks like it's something I want to drink, too...
This one's not showing for me. Maybe it's not available for every state? What's the pricing? I'm curious. Thanks.
There are at least two warehouses, one in upstate NY and one in CA, so there has been some variability of offerings in the past when one side of the country sells out first.
K @ m @ @ l

K N Haque
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1452 Post by K N Haque »

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: April 1st, 2021, 3:49 pm Has anyone been able to use the $100 off $250 deal recently? Over in the other coupon thread, it seems like most people have not found it works at the moment.
Do you have another promotion listed in front of (on top of) the $100 of $250 in your list of credits and promotions? For example, I had the $100 off $250, but then clicked on a 20% discount code and that one is overriding everything for me now. I assume that once I put an order in at 20% off, then $100 off will be active again.
K @ m @ @ l

Jonathan Jaggers

#1453 Post by Jonathan Jaggers »

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: April 1st, 2021, 3:49 pm Has anyone been able to use the $100 off $250 deal recently? Over in the other coupon thread, it seems like most people have not found it works at the moment.
I used it successfully 2 weeks ago

G. Singh

#1454 Post by G. Singh »

Jonathan Jaggers wrote: April 1st, 2021, 5:26 pm
What are you guys buying right now with the $100/$250 deal?
G u r k i r p a l

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1455 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

K N Haque wrote: April 1st, 2021, 5:08 pm
Do you have another promotion listed in front of (on top of) the $100 of $250 in your list of credits and promotions? For example, I had the $100 off $250, but then clicked on a 20% discount code and that one is overriding everything for me now. I assume that once I put an order in at 20% off, then $100 off will be active again.
Thank you - I'm brand new to the site and didn't even know I had a list of credits and promotions. It appears to be empty right now.
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1456 Post by Max S. »

G. Singh wrote: April 1st, 2021, 5:45 pm
I'm on hold on this one because there isn't anything I really want that I haven't bought already. I'm afraid to give thoughts on a lot of those bottles, so if they aren't included here, it doesn't mean they're bad. Here are some to take a look at, just keep in mind my experience is a lot more limited than others on this board:

$17: Saint Cosme Cotes du Rhone (you can get this everywhere at a cheap price, so I'd skip it)
$17.99: Domaine Pichot Le Peu de la Moriette Vouvray
$21: Pietradolce Etna Rosso (haven't tried, the producer gets love on this board though)
$21: Caparzo Rosso di Montalcino (another one you can usually find pretty easy, so I'd skip it)
***$25: Stolpman Vineyards Estate Grown Syrah Ballard Canyon Santa Barbara (I love this and think it is an absolutely killer value - I've had 2 bottles, and have 4 more to drink)
$30: Cristom Pinot Noir Willamette Valley (would be interesting to try after trying the Penner Ash I listed for FirstBottle - I like Cristom a lot, as do a lot of other people around here)
$32: E Guigal Saint Joseph Rouge
$33: Vignamaggio Monna Lisa Gran Selezione Chianti Classico Tuscany (only 2 bottles left, really wish I was buying right now)
$35: Joh. Jos. Prum Riesling Graacher Himmelreich Kabinett Mosel
$36: Arnot-Roberts Syrah Sonoma Coast
$37: Domaine Huet Le Haut Lieu Sec
$37: Delille Cellars D2 Red Wine Columbia Valley
$44: Benevolent Neglect Syrah Las Madres Vineyard Carneros
$45: Castello di Verduno Barbaresco Piedmont (would be interesting to try and compare with the Produttori Barbaresco from the FirstBottle thread)
$59: Massican Winery Sauvignon Blanc OR Annia (this is a magnum, they don't have 750s anymore, so I'd make sure you have people to crush it with)
$60: Cristom Pinot Noir Louise Vineyard 2014 (has a little age on it)
$60: NV Laherte Freres Blanc de Blancs Brut Nature Champagne France (I've seen quite a few posts of people speaking highly of this bottle. An effective cost of $36/bottle is killer)

That price point is where I stop, afraid to give thoughts on more expensive bottles. If it was my money, I'd wait just because I have a lot of these and the Bedrock is currently sold out - seems to come back every couple of months. Once the deal is in your queue it doesn't go away so no rush. But here is one way you could do $250:

$25: Stolpman Vineyards Estate Grown Syrah Ballard Canyon Santa Barbara
$30: Cristom Pinot Noir Willamette Valley
$33: Vignamaggio Monna Lisa Gran Selezione Chianti Classico Tuscan\
$60: NV Laherte Freres Blanc de Blancs Brut Nature Champagne France
OR
$45: Castello di Verduno Barbaresco Piedmont + $21: Pietradolce Etna Rosso
"And just to be clear, this is a post criticizing people who criticize people who criticize for a living . . ." - J Bloom

5 w 0 m l 3 y

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1457 Post by Max S. »

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: April 1st, 2021, 6:01 pm Thank you - I'm brand new to the site and didn't even know I had a list of credits and promotions. It appears to be empty right now.
I was able to get the coupon, but the day after I got it a few people I passed it on to couldn't access it.
"And just to be clear, this is a post criticizing people who criticize people who criticize for a living . . ." - J Bloom

5 w 0 m l 3 y

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1458 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f »

Yeah, I checked back with the direct link and it says sold out (on the Monna Lisa).

I have had this wine before, but not since 1990 or so. Don't see it much on the shelves around here. But should be quite solid.

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1459 Post by Max S. »

D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote: April 1st, 2021, 6:10 pm Yeah, I checked back with the direct link and it says sold out (on the Monna Lisa).
There were still 2 bottles showing for me before I checked out... thanks Dave! champagne.gif

5 w 0 m l 3 y

John L Hall

#1460 Post by John L Hall »

Used it today

G. Singh

#1461 Post by G. Singh »

Max S. wrote: April 1st, 2021, 6:07 pm
G. Singh wrote: April 1st, 2021, 5:45 pm

I'm on hold on this one because there isn't anything I really want that I haven't bought already. I'm afraid to give thoughts on a lot of those bottles, so if they aren't included here, it doesn't mean they're bad. Here are some to take a look at, just keep in mind my experience is a lot more limited than others on this board:

$17: Saint Cosme Cotes du Rhone (you can get this everywhere at a cheap price, so I'd skip it)
$17.99: Domaine Pichot Le Peu de la Moriette Vouvray
$21: Pietradolce Etna Rosso (haven't tried, the producer gets love on this board though)
$21: Caparzo Rosso di Montalcino (another one you can usually find pretty easy, so I'd skip it)
***$25: Stolpman Vineyards Estate Grown Syrah Ballard Canyon Santa Barbara (I love this and think it is an absolutely killer value - I've had 2 bottles, and have 4 more to drink)
$30: Cristom Pinot Noir Willamette Valley (would be interesting to try after trying the Penner Ash I listed for FirstBottle - I like Cristom a lot, as do a lot of other people around here)
$33: Vignamaggio Monna Lisa Gran Selezione Chianti Classico Tuscany (only 2 bottles left, really wish I was buying right now)
$36: Arnot-Roberts Syrah Sonoma Coast
$37: Delille Cellars D2 Red Wine Columbia Valley
$44: Benevolent Neglect Syrah Las Madres Vineyard Carneros
$45: Castello di Verduno Barbaresco Piedmont (would be interesting to try and compare with the Produttori Barbaresco from the FirstBottle thread)
$59: Massican Winery Sauvignon Blanc OR Annia (this is a magnum, they don't have 750s anymore, so I'd make sure you have people to crush it with)
$60: Cristom Pinot Noir Louise Vineyard 2014 (has a little age on it)
$60: NV Laherte Freres Blanc de Blancs Brut Nature Champagne France (I've seen quite a few posts of people speaking highly of this bottle. An effective cost of $36/bottle is killer)

That price point is where I stop, afraid to give thoughts on more expensive bottles. If it was my money, I'd wait just because I have a lot of these and the Bedrock is currently sold out - seems to come back every couple of months. Once the deal is in your queue it doesn't go away so no rush. But here is one way you could do $250:

$25: Stolpman Vineyards Estate Grown Syrah Ballard Canyon Santa Barbara
$30: Cristom Pinot Noir Willamette Valley
$33: Vignamaggio Monna Lisa Gran Selezione Chianti Classico Tuscan\
$60: NV Laherte Freres Blanc de Blancs Brut Nature Champagne France
OR
$45: Castello di Verduno Barbaresco Piedmont + $21: Pietradolce Etna Rosso
Great suggestions - thanks a lot. I agree with you about waiting, perhaps for a killer NDA wine....
G u r k i r p a l

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1462 Post by Max S. »

G. Singh wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 7:59 am Great suggestions - thanks a lot. I agree with you about waiting, perhaps for a killer NDA wine....
Just a thought, if I were just starting to try new things I'd skip the NDA wines. It's harder to track with them than it is to follow brand labels since they change them up. I bought 3 cases of de Negocd last summer and while it's nice having those wines, I realized after it was kind of a waste and didn't really help my wine learning

5 w 0 m l 3 y

Sherri S h a p i r o
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#1463 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o »

John L Hall wrote: April 1st, 2021, 6:52 pm
Used it today
When did you put it in your account? I can't get it to even recognize that deal.

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1464 Post by Max S. »

Sherri S h a p i r o wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 10:42 am
When did you put it in your account? I can't get it to even recognize that deal.
I sent it to several people on March 24th I believe, not a single one was able to get it working. I tried it on the 22nd and it did not work, but it did work on the 23rd.

5 w 0 m l 3 y

John L Hall

#1465 Post by John L Hall »

I put it in my account last week but did not use it at that time. I think that’s probably the issue. Appears they turned off the coupon.

Chris Crutchfield
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1466 Post by Chris Crutchfield »

I used it yesterday

swsimmons
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1467 Post by swsimmons »

In my case, for whatever reason, the 100 off 250 would not take precedence over an existing 20% off promo with a cart balance of $255. Once I raised cart balance to $280 the $100 off replaced the 20%.
Steve Simmons

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1468 Post by Max S. »

swsimmons wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 11:39 am In my case, for whatever reason, the 100 off 250 would not take precedence over an existing 20% off promo with a cart balance of $255. Once I raised cart balance to $280 the $100 off replaced the 20%.
If tax is $6 or more of the balance, that would be one explanation, I've noticed that a couple of times.

5 w 0 m l 3 y

David_K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1469 Post by David_K »

2017 Gouges Porrets. $72 when you buy six, with the 20% off promotion it goes down to $57 per with free shipping. An excellent price.
K@ntrОwi╦z

Shay h arnoy

#1470 Post by Shay h arnoy »

David_K wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 8:55 pm 2017 Gouges Porrets. $72 when you buy six, with the 20% off promotion it goes down to $57 per. An excellent deal.
I got 6 of them. Also had a hundred dollars in referral credits made it too good to resist.

Kedar Dubhashi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1471 Post by Kedar Dubhashi »

WineAccess site is interesting. They show Russell Bevan Adversity Cellars on the site but upon clicking "Add to cart", they show "we are sorry, this wine is sold out". For all three!

brianckelly

#1472 Post by brianckelly »

Kedar Dubhashi wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 9:59 pm WineAccess site is interesting. They show Russell Bevan Adversity Cellars on the site but upon clicking "Add to cart", they show "we are sorry, this wine is sold out". For all three!
I’ve had the same issue with the La Pelle Cabernet Sauvignon. I even reached out to customer service to inquire about it and they confirmed it’s not available. In general Wine Access is fantastic but not sure why they continue to show wines that aren’t available.

Luca Giupponi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1473 Post by Luca Giupponi »

Shay h arnoy wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 8:58 pm
David_K wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 8:55 pm 2017 Gouges Porrets. $72 when you buy six, with the 20% off promotion it goes down to $57 per. An excellent deal.
I got 6 of them. Also had a hundred dollars in referral credits made it too good to resist.
I couldn't resist either! I was sitting on some credits and this offer made me pull the plug. It's our anniversary vintage too!

Peter C.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1474 Post by Peter C. »

Luca Giupponi wrote: April 4th, 2021, 6:19 am
Shay h arnoy wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 8:58 pm
I couldn't resist either! I was sitting on some credits and this offer made me pull the plug. It's our anniversary vintage too!
Thanks all, with the $100/250 promo it works out to $57 per, too. [cheers.gif]
( z y ® y ( @

MattG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1475 Post by MattG »

Anyone try the Brugnon Blanc de Blanc? I can’t find any reviews yet of the bottling on CT. I’m skeptical of custom bottlings.
G@|’$1n

Peter C.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1476 Post by Peter C. »

MattG wrote: April 5th, 2021, 7:59 am Anyone try the Brugnon Blanc de Blanc? I can’t find any reviews yet of the bottling on CT. I’m skeptical of custom bottlings.
It's meh. Slightly sweet and very simple. I'd pass and Champagne is among the biggest holdings in my cellar.
( z y ® y ( @

MattG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1477 Post by MattG »

Thank you, Peter! Yeah, dosage seemed high to me.
G@|’$1n

Guillermo M

#1478 Post by Guillermo M »

Peter C. wrote: April 5th, 2021, 8:35 am
MattG wrote: April 5th, 2021, 7:59 am Anyone try the Brugnon Blanc de Blanc? I can’t find any reviews yet of the bottling on CT. I’m skeptical of custom bottlings.
It's meh. Slightly sweet and very simple. I'd pass and Champagne is among the biggest holdings in my cellar.
Thank you for pointing this out Peter and Matt!

Do you (or anyone else) know if 'meh' is also the case with the NV Brugnon Sélection Brut? I got two bottles (ugh) because their tasting note said it's bone dry and no actual dosage was listed. Now I see on the Blanc the Blancs Brut page that the talks about the "members’ usual preference at a dosage of 6 grams/litre" and the little sweetness icon has all the bars empty on both. Haven't opened one yet because they just got here, but knowing the answer might skew the occasion I'll choose.

I wish there was a way in Cellar-Tracker to somehow create pages for those custom bottlings that aren't ID'd on the label, and that people actually used it. I checked the listing there and of course, despite many notes, it was totally unhelpful because I had no idea which version they were tasting.

I'd love to learn more about Champagne (and good Proseccos, Cavas, Cremants and Sekts), and I'm trying to buy stuff to do it, but the information seems so opaque for many or the few opinions so divided for others, with a lot of writing seemingly driven by prestige more than actually knowledgeable tasting. It almost feels like trying to buy high-priced funky South American or Greek wine on a retailer's recommendation. Anyway, I don't want to hijack the thread but your thoughts on the Brugnon Sélection Brut would be welcome.
Guillermo M e n a
Yet another Washington, DC person on WB. Here to learn and branch out into new wines.
Open to recommendations and well-intentioned critiques.

Peter C.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1479 Post by Peter C. »

Guillermo M wrote: April 5th, 2021, 10:30 am
Peter C. wrote: April 5th, 2021, 8:35 am
Thank you for pointing this out Peter and Matt!

Do you (or anyone else) know if 'meh' is also the case with the NV Brugnon Sélection Brut? I got two bottles (ugh) because their tasting note said it's bone dry and no actual dosage was listed. Now I see on the Blanc the Blancs Brut page that the talks about the "members’ usual preference at a dosage of 6 grams/litre" and the little sweetness icon has all the bars empty on both. Haven't opened one yet because they just got here, but knowing the answer might skew the occasion I'll choose.

I wish there was a way in Cellar-Tracker to somehow create pages for those custom bottlings that aren't ID'd on the label, and that people actually used it. I checked the listing there and of course, despite many notes, it was totally unhelpful because I had no idea which version they were tasting.

I'd love to learn more about Champagne (and good Proseccos, Cavas, Cremants and Sekts), and I'm trying to buy stuff to do it, but the information seems so opaque for many or the few opinions so divided for others, with a lot of writing seemingly driven by prestige more than actually knowledgeable tasting. It almost feels like trying to buy high-priced funky South American or Greek wine on a retailer's recommendation. Anyway, I don't want to hijack the thread but your thoughts on the Brugnon Sélection Brut would be welcome.
My bad, I've had the 'Selection' cuvee. I can't speak to the BdB on offer.
( z y ® y ( @

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1480 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

FYI for those concerned about the Amex shipping state fine print - I got my credit.
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

James Todd
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1481 Post by James Todd »

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: April 6th, 2021, 7:45 am FYI for those concerned about the Amex shipping state fine print - I got my credit.
Sarah,
Did you buy wine directly or gift cards first?

Jonathan Jaggers

#1482 Post by Jonathan Jaggers »

James Todd wrote: April 6th, 2021, 8:02 am
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: April 6th, 2021, 7:45 am FYI for those concerned about the Amex shipping state fine print - I got my credit.
Sarah,
Did you buy wine directly or gift cards first?
Got mine as well, buying directly. Took a few days to show up on the Amex balance.

cjsadler

#1483 Post by cjsadler »

Sorry if this has been addressed somewhere upthread, but I'm wondering about their inventory system. Going to check out and the site seems happy to let me order a couple of wines that have been sitting in my cart, but no longer appear on the site as available. I assume the order will just get rejected. This is a bit of pain-- I guess you need to check each wine in your cart to make sure it's actually still available?
Chris Sadler

YLee

#1484 Post by YLee »

cjsadler wrote: April 6th, 2021, 8:45 am Sorry if this has been addressed somewhere upthread, but I'm wondering about their inventory system. Going to check out and the site seems happy to let me order a couple of wines that have been sitting in my cart, but no longer appear on the site as available. I assume the order will just get rejected. This is a bit of pain-- I guess you need to check each wine in your cart to make sure it's actually still available?
Quick and simple answer. Yes
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Michael Feldman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1485 Post by Michael Feldman »

cjsadler wrote: April 6th, 2021, 8:45 am Sorry if this has been addressed somewhere upthread, but I'm wondering about their inventory system. Going to check out and the site seems happy to let me order a couple of wines that have been sitting in my cart, but no longer appear on the site as available. I assume the order will just get rejected. This is a bit of pain-- I guess you need to check each wine in your cart to make sure it's actually still available?
When you go to check out if wine(s) no longer available site will indicate and not let you check out. Nice and easy!

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1486 Post by Max S. »

Anybody have any thoughts on the Winter's Hill?

5 w 0 m l 3 y

Chris Crutchfield
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1487 Post by Chris Crutchfield »

Max S. wrote: April 9th, 2021, 9:19 am Anybody have any thoughts on the Winter's Hill?
Also interested to know more as the price is pretty killer. I haven't heard of the producer before though.

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1488 Post by Max S. »

Chris Crutchfield wrote: April 9th, 2021, 10:54 am Also interested to know more as the price is pretty killer. I haven't heard of the producer before though.
I opted out, their tasting notes have cola in there and that's generally a pretty big turn off for me.

5 w 0 m l 3 y

Justin L.

#1489 Post by Justin L. »

I just got an email from WA about the 2018 The Dude Red. Anybody have any experience with this wine or past vintages?

Trying to use a $50 credit and the 20% off I currently have available.

The wine I wish I would`ve ordered more of on my last order is the Stay Home Cab. Already drank both of the bottles I ordered.
Justin Lavine

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1490 Post by Max S. »

Justin L. wrote: April 10th, 2021, 1:27 pm I just got an email from WA about the 2018 The Dude Red. Anybody have any experience with this wine or past vintages?

The wine I wish I would`ve ordered more of on my last order is the Stay Home Cab. Already drank both of the bottles I ordered.
Are you in the wine club?

5 w 0 m l 3 y

Justin L.

#1491 Post by Justin L. »

Max S. wrote: April 10th, 2021, 4:24 pm
Justin L. wrote: April 10th, 2021, 1:27 pm I just got an email from WA about the 2018 The Dude Red. Anybody have any experience with this wine or past vintages?

Are you in the wine club?
I`m not. I`ve been considering pulling the trigger on it but wasn`t sure if it was worth the money. Haven`t been able to find much feedback. Max, are you? If so, would you recommend it? I`m a newbie compared to most on here and WB is what really got me into wine about a year ago at the beginning of the pandemic.

J
Justin Lavine

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1492 Post by Max S. »

Justin L. wrote: April 10th, 2021, 6:18 pm I`m not. I`ve been considering pulling the trigger on it but wasn`t sure if it was worth the money. Haven`t been able to find much feedback. Max, are you? If so, would you recommend it? I`m a newbie compared to most on here and WB is what really got me into wine about a year ago at the beginning of the pandemic.

J
I'm actually not, I'm not much of a club joiner. We must just have different warehouses, are you east coast located?

5 w 0 m l 3 y

Justin L.

#1493 Post by Justin L. »

Max S. wrote: April 10th, 2021, 6:57 pm
Justin L. wrote: April 10th, 2021, 6:18 pm I`m not. I`ve been considering pulling the trigger on it but wasn`t sure if it was worth the money. Haven`t been able to find much feedback. Max, are you? If so, would you recommend it? I`m a newbie compared to most on here and WB is what really got me into wine about a year ago at the beginning of the pandemic.

J
I'm actually not, I'm not much of a club joiner. We must just have different warehouses, are you east coast located?
I`m not either. I`ve had enough friends do them and most of them end up cancelling after a few shipments.

I`m located in Dallas, TX. Does it still show that Stay Home Cab is available to you? I assume its similar to wine.com where wines show unavailable to me but are available in NY or on the west coast.
Justin Lavine

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1494 Post by Max S. »

Justin L. wrote: April 10th, 2021, 7:01 pm I`m not either. I`ve had enough friends do them and most of them end up cancelling after a few shipments.

I`m located in Dallas, TX. Does it still show that Stay Home Cab is available to you? I assume its similar to wine.com where wines show unavailable to me but are available in NY or on the west coast.
No stay home for me, I'm going to have to check out what's available to other people in the near future...

5 w 0 m l 3 y

Toby P
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1495 Post by Toby P »

Three Wine Bigelow Zinfandel looks pretty good for $16 by the case (~$13 with a coupon)...strong CT/Vivino notes for prior vintages, albeit not a huge sample
P r a t t

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1496 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f »

Toby P wrote: April 12th, 2021, 8:29 am Three Wine Bigelow Zinfandel looks pretty good for $16 by the case (~$13 with a coupon)...strong CT/Vivino notes for prior vintages, albeit not a huge sample
Agreed. It's new to me but I bit.

Rohit B

#1497 Post by Rohit B »

Had the 2018 Halpin Coombsville last night and loved it.
  • 2018 Halpin Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley, Coombsville (4/12/2021)
    Excellent. This is a serious wine with tons of potential. Needs a few good years to come together and look for it to last 10+ years. I decanted for 6 hours but this easily could use 24 hours.

Sometimes the nose tells the story of a wine, sometimes it fools you. Here, the nose is telling the story; reminiscent of a blueberry or blackberry box, where the bottom gets a little squished and you can just smell that bit of tangy fruitiness. Hints crushed rock and potting soil lie underneath the fruit. The nose tells you this this will be a sharp and focused wine.

Palate is medium full body with good acidity, ripping tannins, and tons of tart cherries and tart blueberries. Oak is not a major player here.

Finish is very long with ripe raspberries up front and herb-like qualities underneath. It reminds of raspberry leaves, blueberry stems, and the core of a strawberry. The tannins very fine and drying, but not overly so.

Give this a few years for the tannins to settle down. This is not the most complex wine, but it doesn't have to be. It's focused and precise with sharp fruits, fine but drying tannins, and good acid. I will be buying more soon to put away in the cellar. (92 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
13 h @ n

MikeY
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1498 Post by MikeY »

2019 The Wonderland Project Nº 9 Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley: Yet another NDA cab but the pricing & description doesn't make much sense.

"Historically, the easiest ways to enjoy The Wonderland Project’s Nº 9 Napa Cabernet would be to buy a bottle straight from the winery, or to dine at The French Laundry, where you’d pay $105."

Checking the French Laundry wine list (https://hub.binwise.com/winelists/frenc ... -list.html), there are no cabs even close to $105 in price. Furthermore, as the French Laundry seems to have a 2.5-3x mark-up in retail price (based on Ridge Monte Bello 2016), that would make the winery price of this cab $35 to $42, which is basically what the NDA wine costs. What's going on? Is this all hype?
Y e h

David_K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1499 Post by David_K »

MikeY wrote: April 13th, 2021, 6:24 amIs this all hype?
[winner.gif]
K@ntrОwi╦z

Luca Giupponi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1500 Post by Luca Giupponi »

MikeY wrote: April 13th, 2021, 6:24 am Checking the French Laundry wine list (https://hub.binwise.com/winelists/frenc ... -list.html), there are no cabs even close to $105 in price. Furthermore, as the French Laundry seems to have a 2.5-3x mark-up in retail price (based on Ridge Monte Bello 2016), that would make the winery price of this cab $35 to $42, which is basically what the NDA wine costs. What's going on? Is this all hype?
I've probably read close to 50 various NDA/blowout deals this year saying something to the effect of "you can either drink this for $4x at the French Laundry or buy it at $x from us".

Return to “Wine Talk”