WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
C. Heinsen
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#1551 Post by C. Heinsen »

Anyone have any new promo codes? I have burned through the $50 off 200, 21%, and a 20% I believe.
C h r i s

stephenmarks

#1552 Post by stephenmarks »

ScottieB wrote: May 1st, 2021, 3:10 pmHave to say that WA overdoes it on their writeups. This particular one on Halpin is so twisted that it leaves me confused and not sure what to make of it...
The average wine consumer, i.e. anyone not actually on a forum about wine, tends to really enjoy this erudite fluff. I'm waiting for when the copywriter there decides to just go H-A-M and write something like, "these grapes are so good that they make your dick bigger."

Guillermo M

#1553 Post by Guillermo M »

stephenmarks wrote: May 2nd, 2021, 7:11 am
ScottieB wrote: May 1st, 2021, 3:10 pmHave to say that WA overdoes it on their writeups. This particular one on Halpin is so twisted that it leaves me confused and not sure what to make of it...
The average wine consumer, i.e. anyone not actually on a forum about wine, tends to really enjoy this erudite fluff. I'm waiting for when the copywriter there decides to just go H-A-M and write something like, "these grapes are so good that they make your dick bigger."
Considering the ever-increasing average age of the buyers of the sort of wine in Wine Access, the copywriter could just say the grapes will make it work and would clear out the warehouse. deadhorse

All kidding aside. I’m not sure how many average wine consumers have a Wine Access account. I think the average wine consumer buys wine at the supermarket, Trader Joe’s or Costco, maybe at Whole Foods, and at the local wine shop for a splurge or a case of champagne for a party. If there’s a winery in the area they might buy there too. But a mail-order store with ever-shifting limited inventories, NDA wines and one-off custom bottlings (they even have a custom dosage on some champagnes), that’s prosumer to connoisseur level. (In fact, I found Wine Access through WB.)

I do enjoy the copy, maybe because I’m so used to the absurdly over-the-top Last Bottle copy that Wine Access’s seems tame by comparison. And, it is much more informative (I can’t for the life of me figure out why all stores don’t put drinking windows and tasting notes on listings). But, I have to agree with Scottie that sometimes it gets confusing. And, to paraphrase David Ogilvy, who said that nothing is worse for a bad product than good advertising; nothing is worse for a long term commitment to Wine Access than getting burned by their glowing copy a few times.
Guillermo M e n a
Yet another Washington, DC person on WB. Here to learn and branch out into new wines.
Open to recommendations and well-intentioned critiques.

JLuch
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1554 Post by JLuch »

I’m curious if anyone bit on the Halpin Oakville? I always have a hard time believing that somehow they are selling wine that is even remotely close to the style and quality of the source they are loosely describing.

The few Oakville wineries with a list price of $500 (promontory, bond, etc), not sure they would offload their juice at wholesale prices. The NDA wine market is not one in overly knowledgeable about.
Joe Luci@no

MattG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1555 Post by MattG »

C. Heinsen wrote: May 2nd, 2021, 4:24 am Anyone have any new promo codes? I have burned through the $50 off 200, 21%, and a 20% I believe.
Look for posts by me or Tyler Rico in the coupon thread. Between the two of us, we should’ve covered just about everything
G@|’$1n

Vivek K.

#1556 Post by Vivek K. »

JLuch wrote: May 2nd, 2021, 7:56 am I’m curious if anyone bit on the Halpin Oakville? I always have a hard time believing that somehow they are selling wine that is even remotely close to the style and quality of the source they are loosely describing.

The few Oakville wineries with a list price of $500 (promontory, bond, etc), not sure they would offload their juice at wholesale prices. The NDA wine market is not one in overly knowledgeable about.
I did, solely based on the quality of the Yesterday wines, Which should be from the same source (probably Bond). Are they as good as entry-level Bond, probably not, but the WA NDA wines have (usually) been worth the price of entry.
K u l k @ r n i

C. Heinsen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1557 Post by C. Heinsen »

Looks like Halpin Reserve sold out. A little fomo on that one but definitely helps the wallet...
C h r i s

ykwon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1558 Post by ykwon »

Just got a follow up email from wine access about the Halpin Reserve…
y 0 n 9
k w 0 n

David Buck

#1559 Post by David Buck »

C. Heinsen wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 2:19 pm Looks like Halpin Reserve sold out. A little fomo on that one but definitely helps the wallet...
In stock here on the east coast. Just ordered 5. I had a credit and got 15% off. Love my Yesterday reserve. Hope this comes through and not a stinker like Editorial 15....

C. Heinsen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1560 Post by C. Heinsen »

Yeah. You all are right. Went to order earlier and it said sold out, but it’s now showing available. Order in. Good marketing tactic.
C h r i s

Zachary Mancini

#1561 Post by Zachary Mancini »

I just had some of the 18 nine suns sunbird tonight. A really good wine for 95. Might go back for more.

Rohit B

#1562 Post by Rohit B »

• 2015 Wine Access Cabernet Sauvignon Editorial - USA, California, Napa Valley (5/4/2021)
    Decanted 4 hours and needed it.

Fairly Bordeaux-like. Not my favorite style but it’s a good quality wine. Didn’t love it.

Dusty, red fruits, and old world nose. Palate has lots of red fruits (cherries, slightly sweetened cranberries), earthiness, wood, reminds me of an old bookstore. Tannins are present but fairly smooth, medium acid, and medium/full body.

Not what I’m looking for in a Napa Cabernet. Happy to have tried it but probably won’t buy again. (91 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
13 h @ n

David Buck

#1563 Post by David Buck »

C. Heinsen wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 4:20 pm Yeah. You all are right. Went to order earlier and it said sold out, but it’s now showing available. Order in. Good marketing tactic.
2018 Halpin reserve sold out now....looks like we got the last bottles...mine showed up today.....the Wellesley guy should do a fresh off the truck...see what he says...

Kevin Patrick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1564 Post by Kevin Patrick »

Halpin almost certainly exact same as Yesterday Oakville (i.e. the original). If I hadn't already purchased 3 cases of this juice between the original and the reserve I would have bought this one.

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1565 Post by Max S. »

The 2019 Gerard Boulay Sancerre Les Monts Damnes is up at $65 before discounts. This was the bottle of Sauv Blanc that showed me the light. I don't drink it a lot, but this is one bottle I'm not going to miss having in my cellar... $52 after 20% off matches W-S low.
"And just to be clear, this is a post criticizing people who criticize people who criticize for a living . . ." - J Bloom

5 w 0 m l 3 y

Ben Bruemmer

#1566 Post by Ben Bruemmer »

Just received a WineAccess branded Ah-So in the mail. Anyone else?
I had no clue this was coming and I have to say, it was a really nice surprise. Especially for someone like me, who really wouldn't consider myself a power-user of the site with only occasional, heavily discounted orders.

Chris Crutchfield
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1567 Post by Chris Crutchfield »

Ben Bruemmer wrote: May 7th, 2021, 9:52 am Just received a WineAccess branded Ah-So in the mail. Anyone else?
I had no clue this was coming and I have to say, it was a really nice surprise. Especially for someone like me, who really wouldn't consider myself a power-user of the site with only occasional, heavily discounted orders.
It's from the 1998 Musar release from early March. Per the e-mail from that release:
We’ll also be sending an ah-so opener with every order, to make uncorking this cellar treasure worry-free and easy.
I thought it was a nice gesture from them to do this.

Ben Bruemmer

#1568 Post by Ben Bruemmer »

Right! I forgot about that. I did get a few Musar.
Yes, absolutely. I didn't have an Ah-So so this is definitely welcome.

David Buck

#1569 Post by David Buck »

Kevin Patrick wrote: May 5th, 2021, 6:37 pm Halpin almost certainly exact same as Yesterday Oakville (i.e. the original). If I hadn't already purchased 3 cases of this juice between the original and the reserve I would have bought this one.
Yup.. Looks good...the Wellesley guy says same. Glad I got 5 bottles.....

https://www.wellesleywinepress.com/2021 ... serve.html

Return to “Wine Talk”