WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Marlon F
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#1251 Post by Marlon F »

is it me or first bottles were at the $30 range; sold out and now it seems that new bottles are in the $40ish area...
Fetzner!!!!

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1252 Post by Max S. »

Marlon F wrote: February 17th, 2021, 11:57 am is it me or first bottles were at the $30 range; sold out and now it seems that new bottles are in the $40ish area...
A lot of stuff on WA goes away and comes back at a higher price point.
5 w 0 m l 3 y

Peter C.

#1253 Post by Peter C. »

Peter C. wrote: February 17th, 2021, 11:41 am
Kurt_L wrote: February 16th, 2021, 2:06 pm
Sanjay M. wrote: February 15th, 2021, 5:23 pm

Pretty sure this is Neal Family.

From a majestic estate that’s a Wine Enthusiast Editors’ Choice favorite at $45 per bottle...we assumed it was destined for the winery’s flagship $90 mountain-appellated bottlings...the Howell Mountain estate is a multigenerational passion project with over 40 years of Cabernet Sauvignon history

Neal’s Napa Valley Cab is $45 and was a WE Editors’ Choice back in 2007. Their Howell Mountain Cab goes for $90. I believe Neal is on its third generation, and while the winery is not 40 years old, their website says that they are “a family that has been dedicated to these vineyards for over 40 years.”

Tempted on this one...if I knew it was HM juice I’d definitely be in, but it’s labeled Napa Valley, not Howell Mountain. I already have a decent amount of private label 2018 cab at this price point, though.
This is almost certainly Neal. The WA description dances around whether the actual grapes in the bottle come from Howell, as opposed to Neal being located on Howell. Sounds to me like the source is somewhere in the valley farmed by Neal. I was just at Neal last week and Mark said he's involved in some aspect of the farming for about 10% of all napa valley cab production. So that doesn't narrow things down very much. Still for $20 I would bet it's a solid QPR.
Agree on Neal. And the 2016 Stay Home is Antica. I've drunk several bottles of the latter and it's a great value for $20 if it ever reappears.

Will try the 2018 tonight and drop an impression.
I like this better than the 2016 - it's 15.5% so I was expecting a mess but this moved to the top of my WA private label rankings, especially for value. Nothing is out of place and it's very fresh and lively despite the high alcohol. No heat at all, lot of blueberry, blackberry fruit.
These users thanked the author Peter C. for the post:
Sanjay M.
( z y ® y ( @

DavidC.

#1254 Post by DavidC. »

Wineaccess canceling order?

Wineaccess cancelled my order all of a sudden. Now I couldn't login to my account. Anyone have this issue?

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1255 Post by Max S. »

DavidC. wrote: February 18th, 2021, 5:32 pm Wineaccess canceling order?

Wineaccess cancelled my order all of a sudden. Now I couldn't login to my account. Anyone have this issue?
No, but they will probably get back to you pretty quickly if you email them.
5 w 0 m l 3 y

Sanjay M.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1256 Post by Sanjay M. »

One little bonus that may be of use to some people - some airlines give you bonus miles if you click through their portal when you purchase.

Southwest is giving you 3 miles for every $1 you spend:
https://rapidrewardsshopping.southwest. ... &gmid=5508

United is giving 2 miles for every $1:
https://shopping.mileageplus.com/me____ ... &gmid=5508

Other airlines may have similar offers. Obviously this isn't life changing value here, but if you're spending the money anyway it's a little extra, especially since I haven't seen any Rakuten/RMN offers for WA lately.
M_@_r_k_e_n

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1257 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f »

Sanjay M. wrote: February 18th, 2021, 5:59 pm One little bonus that may be of use to some people - some airlines give you bonus miles if you click through their portal when you purchase.

Other airlines may have similar offers. Obviously this isn't life changing value here, but if you're spending the money anyway it's a little extra, especially since I haven't seen any Rakuten/RMN offers for WA lately.
Does this require that you use the airline's credit card to complete the purchase, or (if and when I ever get another Amex offer for WA) could I use this portal for its miles and still charge the order to my Amex?

H.Ma

#1258 Post by H.Ma »

D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote: February 18th, 2021, 6:33 pm
Sanjay M. wrote: February 18th, 2021, 5:59 pm One little bonus that may be of use to some people - some airlines give you bonus miles if you click through their portal when you purchase.

Does this require that you use the airline's credit card to complete the purchase, or (if and when I ever get another Amex offer for WA) could I use this portal for its miles and still charge the order to my Amex?
No, you do not have to use the airline’s credit card. You can use your Amex or your existing credit cards.
These users thanked the author H.Ma for the post:
D@ve D y r 0 f f
H e i n

John L Hall

#1259 Post by John L Hall »

Picked up some of the Site Grenache and a few of the Moundsman... 👌

Rohit B

#1260 Post by Rohit B »

Anybody here bite on the Halpin Coombsville?
13 h @ n

JEFFREY R

#1261 Post by JEFFREY R »

Rohit B wrote: February 19th, 2021, 11:29 am Anybody here bite on the Halpin Coombsville?
Curious about this too...it seemed even more hyped-up than usual. I did spring for 6-Coho Merlots though.
R o g e r s

Greg Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1262 Post by Greg Smith »

In my opinion the best deals on WA right now are the Stone The Crows and Bevan Ontogeny with the 15% off coupon (or 21% if you still have that). Two top-notch wines.
These users thanked the author Greg Smith for the post:
Benjg

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1263 Post by MatthewT »

I used 21% off for 4 each of:

Stay at Home
Halpin
Moundsman

Thanks for all reviews. Friend has had Halpin and says very good. Damn it, forgot about the Southwest link
I'm a Turk

YLee

#1264 Post by YLee »

DavidC. wrote: February 18th, 2021, 5:32 pm Wineaccess canceling order?

Did you do anything against their TOS?
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Eric White
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1265 Post by Eric White »

I finally decided to use my 21% discount along with the Amex $20 kicker and SouthWest 3 points to the dollar to pick up some 2018 Stay Home (Neal), and 2018 The Ringer (Bryant). If the Stay Home really is Neal (and it sounds like it), I am certain I'll be a fan - been a huge fan of their wines since the 2000 vintage, great age-worthy cabs. I'm just now digging in to my 01's, 02's, and 03's.
Last edited by Eric White on February 19th, 2021, 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kevin Patrick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1266 Post by Kevin Patrick »

Eric White wrote: February 19th, 2021, 5:07 pm I finally decided to use my 21% discount along with the Amex $20 kicker and SouthWest 3 points to the dollar to pick up some 2018 Stay Home (Neal), and 2018 The Ringer (Harlan). If the Stay Home really is Neal (and it sounds like it), I am certain I'll be a fan - been a huge fan of their wines since the 2000 vintage, great age-worthy cabs. I'm just now digging in to my 01's, 02's, and 03's.
Stay Home appears to be a winner and if you're getting Neal Family fruit @ $20 per bottle (before discounts) it is certainly a steal.

My personal view on the sources for the Private Label wines is as follows:

Ringer -- Bryant Family
Commission -- Bryant Family but winemaker is Fayard (per release)
Yesterday Oakville -- Bond Matriarch
Yesterday Howell -- Dana Estates, Hershey Vineyard, VASO label but wine made by TRB
Radio Silence -- Harlan Maiden
Moundsman -- Undetermined winery but grapes are Georges III

Enjoying my 2nd experience with Moundsman tonight. Coravin'd one (large) glass with medium rare filet mignon dinner. Not enough to give a full tasting note but here is what I put together: This very young wine is definitely made for serious steak pairings. Full bodied and only slightly evolving at 75 minutes in the glass the fragrant Napa fruits (rich blackberries and dark cherries) sing along this wonderful steak. At this young age the wine needs at least 2 hours of air to really show its wares but it's one of the best deals in California Cabs at $36 per bottle (unless you use all the discount codes and credits). A perfect steak wine this bottle is sure to be a crowd pleaser if you like big Napa Cabs with your meats.
These users thanked the author Kevin Patrick for the post:
Eric White

Peter C.

#1267 Post by Peter C. »

Drinking the Moundsman now, too. Solid wine.
( z y ® y ( @

Eric White
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1268 Post by Eric White »

Kevin Patrick wrote: February 19th, 2021, 5:18 pm
Ringer -- Bryant Family
Dang it, this is what I meant, thanks for the correction - I'll edit my original comment

saul_cooperstein

#1269 Post by saul_cooperstein »

Looks like Stay Home now sold out (at least for me in Los Angeles)

Eric White
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1270 Post by Eric White »

saul_cooperstein wrote: February 19th, 2021, 6:51 pm Looks like Stay Home now sold out (at least for me in Los Angeles)
on my view too - glad I grabbed some!

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1271 Post by MatthewT »

Eric White wrote: February 19th, 2021, 7:04 pm
saul_cooperstein wrote: February 19th, 2021, 6:51 pm Looks like Stay Home now sold out (at least for me in Los Angeles)
Crazy that I just randomly pulled trigger today on it.
I'm a Turk

Mitch P
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1272 Post by Mitch P »

MatthewT wrote: February 19th, 2021, 7:12 pm
Eric White wrote: February 19th, 2021, 7:04 pm
Crazy that I just randomly pulled trigger today on it.
[/quot

Interesting. Looks like it’s still available for me (East coast). Grab 2 of them and 1 Ontogeny earlier today.
Mitch P @ m e r @ n t z

H.Ma

#1273 Post by H.Ma »

Has anyone had the 2018 Dayna Estate Cabernet Sauvignon Oak Knoll District, or any guesses to source? Thank you.
H e i n

C. Heinsen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1274 Post by C. Heinsen »

Does the Amex offer normally renew? The current offer of $30 for $100 in spend is expiring at the end of the month and I am curious if I need to use it now or a new offer usually comes the next month anyways.

Thanks for the help!
C h r i s

YLee

#1275 Post by YLee »

C. Heinsen wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 5:26 am Does the Amex offer normally renew? The current offer of $30 for $100 in spend is expiring at the end of the month and I am curious if I need to use it now or a new offer usually comes the next month anyways.

Thanks for the help!

Theres no way to know for sure.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

James D.

#1276 Post by James D. »

H.Ma wrote: February 20th, 2021, 6:07 pm Has anyone had the 2018 Dayna Estate Cabernet Sauvignon Oak Knoll District, or any guesses to source? Thank you.
As I understand it, this is not an NDA wine but simply a small project by a winemaker that they are trying to clear out. You can see details on their website: https://silenusartisanvintners.com/wine ... sauvignon/

It sounded good to me—described as higher-acidity, more Bourdeaux-like due to the cooler climate of the AVA—and the few reviews of other "Dayna Estate" projects that are out there on CellarTracker are quite positive. At ~$28/btl on cases w/ a 20% coupon I went for it.
These users thanked the author James D. for the post:
H.Ma
D o i t

ray ormand
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1277 Post by ray ormand »

Dayna, yes, I had it, thought it was good, nothing special. Better on day 2, but would not buy again. For me, not one of the top deals on Wine Access.
These users thanked the author ray ormand for the post:
H.Ma

James D.

#1278 Post by James D. »

Slightly concerned to realize that the 3 reviews of this wine on Vivino appear to be fake. All by people with 2-3 reviews, all of them of this wine or wines from Highlands Winery (also owned by Paul Segas)

https://www.vivino.com/dayna-estate-cab ... /w/8998228
James D. wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 10:12 am
H.Ma wrote: February 20th, 2021, 6:07 pm Has anyone had the 2018 Dayna Estate Cabernet Sauvignon Oak Knoll District, or any guesses to source? Thank you.
As I understand it, this is not an NDA wine but simply a small project by a winemaker that they are trying to clear out. You can see details on their website: https://silenusartisanvintners.com/wine ... sauvignon/

It sounded good to me—described as higher-acidity, more Bourdeaux-like due to the cooler climate of the AVA—and the few reviews of other "Dayna Estate" projects that are out there on CellarTracker are quite positive. At ~$28/btl on cases w/ a 20% coupon I went for it.
D o i t

James D.

#1279 Post by James D. »

Continuing to dig and Paul Segas (Highlands and Dayna owner) seems to like to post glowing reviews of his own wine under his own name, too: https://www.vivino.com/users/paul.segas
James D. wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 3:42 pm Slightly concerned to realize that the 3 reviews of this wine on Vivino appear to be fake. All by people with 2-3 reviews, all of them of this wine or wines from Highlands Winery (also owned by Paul Segas)

https://www.vivino.com/dayna-estate-cab ... /w/8998228
James D. wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 10:12 am

D o i t

Paul Marshall

#1280 Post by Paul Marshall »

Any idea about The Phoenix Cabernet Sauvignon?

Kevin Patrick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1281 Post by Kevin Patrick »

Paul Marshall wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 6:49 pm Any idea about The Phoenix Cabernet Sauvignon?
All clues point to Dana Estates which clearly has a relationship with Wine Access

David Buck

#1282 Post by David Buck »

Paul Marshall wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 6:49 pm Any idea about The Phoenix Cabernet Sauvignon?
Oh..that is back up I see....Couple new 4.5 vivinos and 91 CT reviews....might bite a few...missed it last time...thx

decided on 3 Phonenix 3 Moundsman...ordered...

G. Singh

#1283 Post by G. Singh »

How does one get the 21% (or 15%) coupons?
G u r k i r p a l

Kevin Patrick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1284 Post by Kevin Patrick »

G. Singh wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 5:42 am How does one get the 21% (or 15%) coupons?
Search for Tyler Rico's posts. He's Santa Clause when it comes to Wine Access % off links.

G. Singh

#1285 Post by G. Singh »

Kevin Patrick wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 5:43 am
G. Singh wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 5:42 am How does one get the 21% (or 15%) coupons?
Search for Tyler Rico's posts. He's Santa Clause when it comes to Wine Access % off links.
Thanks. Found it!
G u r k i r p a l

rsmithjr

#1286 Post by rsmithjr »

I figure I will be 92 when I finish all the wine I have in stock..... [cry.gif]
Roger Smith- Longtime wine drinker and bon vivant' and unofficial De Negoce' FANBOY.....

Tyler F.

#1287 Post by Tyler F. »

I take a break for a week and completely miss the 2018 Stay Home. :cry:
Tyler Fabian

G. Singh

#1288 Post by G. Singh »

Any thoughts on 2015 Editorial ?
G u r k i r p a l

rsmithjr

#1289 Post by rsmithjr »

G. Singh wrote: February 26th, 2021, 7:44 pm Any thoughts on 2015 Editorial ?

Just saw that.
Roger Smith- Longtime wine drinker and bon vivant' and unofficial De Negoce' FANBOY.....

G. Singh

#1290 Post by G. Singh »

rsmithjr wrote: February 27th, 2021, 12:49 pm

Just saw that.
Worth trying?
G u r k i r p a l

G. Singh

#1291 Post by G. Singh »

Any guesses on what it could be?
G u r k i r p a l

Benjg

#1292 Post by Benjg »

Krug available in the Midwest for the first time in awhile, so I took advantage of my $100 off coupon for spending $1000 with them to pick one up today. Combined with the wine day 20% off coupon it ended up being $60 for a bottle of Krug, heck of a deal!
B e n G @ t h

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1293 Post by Mike R »

Mike R wrote: August 14th, 2020, 7:08 pm
Mike R wrote: August 13th, 2020, 1:39 pm Thanks for posting! Here are my notes from the other night on the Off the Cuff and Cosmologist:

2018 Off the Cuff:

If someone asked me to show an example of a wine that demonstrated a good example of what "needs time" means, I'd probably pour them a glass of this. Holy mother of tightly wound tannins. That said, it has really nice nose with dark fruit, vanilla, and oak. Interesting mouthfeel, with like I said, tons and tons of tannins, but again lots of dark fruit, spice, and mulled cherries. Definitely very very high alcohol.

I do think this will be good in a year or so, but I'd be quite upset if I paid anywhere close to $285 for this wine. Looking forward to revisiting this tomorrow to see if it opens up a bit more.

2018 Cosmologist:
Floral violets, plum, and dark cherry on the nose. Very well integrated with silky tannins. Hard to believe this is 14.9% alcohol (the same as the Off the Cuff). I'm struggling a bit to name what I'm tasting, but definitely a bunch of plum and other dark fruits. Something on the finish is just... off. Very one note, reminds me of the mouthfeel of drinking water. Maybe I'm looking for a bit more acid?

The Cosmologist wasn't bad, but between the two I think I like the Off the Cuff better. I poured both right after popping the cork, so I'm looking forward to revisiting these tomorrow. These high alcohol wines are quite something... after two half glasses I'm definitely feeling it.

I will post follow ups from night 2 / 3 later tonight
Some overdue updates. I tasted again on day two, but thought that everything was similar to day one, so decided to let the bottles sit another day or two. The notes below are from tonight, but are consistent with my thoughts from yesterday.

2018 Cosmologist:
I have to call this wine a disappointment. On the first night I was pleasantly surprised by how well integrated this wine was, and also commented that I couldn't believe there was as much alcohol as there is. Here on night four this thing is HOT. Really nice nose with dark fruit, but the palate is just overwhelmed by the alcohol, and makes it hard to taste anything.

2018 Off the Cuff
This wine really came into its own over the past few days. Chocolate, cigar box, and leather with a touch of dark fruit on the nose. The chocolate note is one of the more distinct smells I have picked up from a wine in a long time; its very prominent. When tasting, again oak related flavors dominate. Chocolate and leather, a bit of dark fruit, and a nice finish of spice and mulled cherries. The alcohol on this has really mellowed out, as have the intense tannins. I'm really looking forward to seeing what this wine will be like in a year or so. I think it has a lot of potential.
Figured I’d revisit the Cosmologist again, after giving it 6 months to settle in. In short, it’s WAY better. Lots of dark cherry on the nose with plum and cassis. Super expressive nose, very floral. The tannins are really well integrated and a nice pop of acidity that balances the fruit and oak nicely. This is a very nice wine, and I’m glad I kept a few to try several months later.
... 0 p 3 r

Sanjay M.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1294 Post by Sanjay M. »

G. Singh wrote: February 27th, 2021, 3:17 pm Any guesses on what it could be?
Almost positive it's Honig - their estate is between Quintessa and Round Pond, it's about 70 acres, their top cabernet is $121 exactly, and (according to some Google searching) they sold grapes to Caymus in the past.

The $121 bottle they reference throughout the posting is the Honig Rafael Vineyard cabernet, which is from Oak Knoll, while the posting implies that the Editorial wine is from the Rutherford estate. So, it seems like it isn't actually part of the $121 wine, but that shouldn't be surprising.
M_@_r_k_e_n

David Kim
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1295 Post by David Kim »

Honig used to do 4 single vineyard wines that were all priced the same, although I’m not sure which ones they still do. Campbell was a Rutherford vineyard they had for a while so could be that one?

G. Singh

#1296 Post by G. Singh »

2017 Phoenix is available again.
G u r k i r p a l

David Buck

#1297 Post by David Buck »

Awesome review from Wellesly guy....

https://www.wellesleywinepress.com/2021 ... a-cab.html

In for 6....great price with the 21% off link...

Looking for older Cabs as many of us are so up to ears in NDA 2018 cabs that have to sit...I am soon gonna be on wood racks outside my 200 bottle cooler...I need to stop...Not buying another cooler..lol...

Return to “Wine Talk”