WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Rohit B

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#751 Post by Rohit B » October 15th, 2020, 11:05 am

Mike R wrote:
October 15th, 2020, 10:18 am
Got a response just now on my email. Apparently there was an error in the warehouse, and they accidentally shipped the incorrect wine. This seems to confirm that there are in fact two lots of the Yesterday Cab. They said they will be replacing the wine with the Oakville version. No mention of shipping the other wines back, but hopefully they include a paid label.
Glad to hear this got sorted out for you, Mike.

I have still not heard back from them via email. As of late it seems like it takes them over a week to respond to emails.
13 h @ n

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#752 Post by MatthewT » October 15th, 2020, 11:09 am

THE RINGER sold out.
I'm a Turk

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#753 Post by Mike R » October 15th, 2020, 11:12 am

Out of curiosity, for those who have been buying WA private label for awhile - is the bottle variation a common theme? It seems really really odd that lots of folks seem to take it as a foregone conclusion, when all the wine is theoretically sourced from the same bulk juice.
... 0 p 3 r

K. Tr@n

#754 Post by K. Tr@n » October 15th, 2020, 11:31 am

Mike R wrote:
October 15th, 2020, 11:12 am
Out of curiosity, for those who have been buying WA private label for awhile - is the bottle variation a common theme? It seems really really odd that lots of folks seem to take it as a foregone conclusion, when all the wine is theoretically sourced from the same bulk juice.
I only tried Stay Home, it is consistent.
2018 Editorial is consistent as well. Out of 3-4 bottles opened, maybe one was a little different.
FI. h @ ñ 9

J. Migone

#755 Post by J. Migone » October 15th, 2020, 11:42 am

I bought some of "The Ringer". They have done such a great job with customer service and have such crazy deals, that I don't mind supporting them.

There seems to be a lot of really great bulk juice out there before the devastating fires hit this year. Even if it's just from a 30-40 dollar a bottle source, I don't mind trying it out because of how far they go with customer service.
The one and only Obi Juan Migone

Kevin Patrick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#756 Post by Kevin Patrick » October 15th, 2020, 6:23 pm

Customer Service Update re: 2018 Yesterday Howell Mountain versus Napa Valley (Oakville)

I purchased a case of the original Napa Valley (Oakville). I was shipped (recently) one case of Yesterday, Howell Mountain.

Upon email and phone inquiry, in less than 6 hours, Wine Access apologized for the errant wine and encouraged me to enjoy the case of Yesterday, Howell Mountain on them. They also informed me they are shipping a case of the wine I purchased to be delivered within 7 days.

Bravo to Wine Access (assuming I get the original Yesterday Napa) and cheers to those who suggested supporting them through a rather strange time.

[cheers.gif]

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#757 Post by MatthewT » October 15th, 2020, 6:42 pm

Kevin Patrick wrote:
October 15th, 2020, 6:23 pm
Customer Service Update re: 2018 Yesterday Howell Mountain versus Napa Valley (Oakville)

I purchased a case of the original Napa Valley (Oakville). I was shipped (recently) one case of Yesterday, Howell Mountain.

Upon email and phone inquiry, in less than 6 hours, Wine Access apologized for the errant wine and encouraged me to enjoy the case of Yesterday, Howell Mountain on them. They also informed me they are shipping a case of the wine I purchased to be delivered within 7 days.

Bravo to Wine Access (assuming I get the original Yesterday Napa) and cheers to those who suggested supporting them through a rather strange time.

[cheers.gif]
I'm in same boat as you (maybe). Getting my 2nd case of this TOMORROW - delayed shipment from when I ordered in August. Can't wait to see what I get. Guessing will be Howell Mountain but they might have fixed this mistake by now.

lol, I just realized how funny capitalizing TOMORROW is when the wine is called YESTERDAY.
I'm a Turk

Rohit B

#758 Post by Rohit B » October 15th, 2020, 7:08 pm

Kevin Patrick wrote:

[cheers.gif]
Glad it worked out for you! Will keep you folks updated once I hear back from them (hopefully soon).
13 h @ n

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#759 Post by Mike R » October 15th, 2020, 8:41 pm

Kevin Patrick wrote:

[cheers.gif]
Shows you how much they are making on these private label wines that they can offer a case for free without batting an eye.
... 0 p 3 r

ChrisWolff

#760 Post by ChrisWolff » October 16th, 2020, 5:19 am

My 17 bottle order arrived today- love the way they ship their orders. After credits and Amex offers, I ended up with $476 worth of wine for 194. Appreciate you all sharing your tips and deals!

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#761 Post by MatthewT » October 16th, 2020, 9:45 am

MatthewT wrote:
October 15th, 2020, 6:42 pm
Kevin Patrick wrote:

[cheers.gif]
I'm in same boat as you (maybe). Getting my 2nd case of this TOMORROW - delayed shipment from when I ordered in August. Can't wait to see what I get. Guessing will be Howell Mountain but they might have fixed this mistake by now.

lol, I just realized how funny capitalizing TOMORROW is when the wine is called YESTERDAY.
Arrived. Was the same original version. Kind of bummed tbh. Wanted a "bank error in your favor" for a free case!
I'm a Turk

DanielP
GCC Member
GCC Member

#762 Post by DanielP » October 16th, 2020, 9:46 am

Mike R wrote:
October 15th, 2020, 8:41 pm
Kevin Patrick wrote:

[cheers.gif]
Shows you how much they are making on these private label wines that they can offer a case for free without batting an eye.
Or they're still losing a lot of money and burning through investor cash
P@ik

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#763 Post by Mike R » October 16th, 2020, 9:48 am

MatthewT wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 9:45 am
MatthewT wrote:
Kevin Patrick wrote:

[cheers.gif]

Arrived. Was the same original version. Kind of bummed tbh. Wanted a "bank error in your favor" for a free case!
If its any consolation, the Oakville wine is much better in my opinion.
... 0 p 3 r

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#764 Post by MatthewT » October 16th, 2020, 9:51 am

Mike R wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 9:48 am
MatthewT wrote:
MatthewT wrote:

It's not cause I would have gotten both cases! lololol
I'm a Turk

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#765 Post by Mike R » October 16th, 2020, 9:54 am

MatthewT wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 9:51 am
Mike R wrote:
MatthewT wrote:

Haha said a different way, you're not missing much. I'll trade you a Howell Mountain cab for a No 8!
... 0 p 3 r

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#766 Post by MatthewT » October 16th, 2020, 9:59 am

Mike R wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 9:54 am
MatthewT wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 9:51 am
Mike R wrote:

Haha said a different way, you're not missing much. I'll trade you a Howell Mountain cab for a No 8!
Sure, if you come to my house.
I'm a Turk

K. Tr@n

#767 Post by K. Tr@n » October 16th, 2020, 11:21 am

Opened 1 more Oakville Yesterday yesterday and it is 99% the same as the original one, which I liked the best. So good, but cannot trust any bottles I have is going to perform the same way. The bottle variation in this wine is so unbelievable.

I wonder for those who are getting replacement, if they are going to just bottle whatever since you can't really tell if the wine is the same or not.
FI. h @ ñ 9

Curtis Chen

#768 Post by Curtis Chen » October 16th, 2020, 12:56 pm

DanielP wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 9:46 am
Mike R wrote:
October 15th, 2020, 8:41 pm
Kevin Patrick wrote:

[cheers.gif]
Or they're still losing a lot of money and burning through investor cash
This is far more likely.
CellarTracker: Curtis Chen

Rohit B

#769 Post by Rohit B » October 16th, 2020, 12:56 pm

Like the others in this thread, they are sending me the correct replacement bottles and are allowing me to keep the Howell Mountain wine. Top notch customer service, per usual.
13 h @ n

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#770 Post by Mike R » October 16th, 2020, 1:55 pm

Rohit B wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 12:56 pm
Like the others in this thread, they are sending me the correct replacement bottles and are allowing me to keep the Howell Mountain wine. Top notch customer service, per usual.
They never offered to let me keep it. Disappointing since others were offered and I buy a decent amount of wine from them (almost $3K so far this year). It feels tacky but I might push back and ask if they would mind if I kept it.
... 0 p 3 r

ScottieB

#771 Post by ScottieB » October 16th, 2020, 2:16 pm

A friend called WineAccess and was told that the Yesterday Oakville and Yesterday Howell are from the same winery. Everyone thought Yesterday Oakville was Harlan, but Harlan doesn't appear to have vineyards in Howell Mtn AVA (although Harlan does run The Napa Valley Reserve in St. Helena but that's not Howell AVA).

Any thoughts?
B e c k m a n

Rohit B

#772 Post by Rohit B » October 16th, 2020, 3:16 pm

Mike R wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 1:55 pm
Rohit B wrote:
They never offered to let me keep it. Disappointing since others were offered and I buy a decent amount of wine from them (almost $3K so far this year). It feels tacky but I might push back and ask if they would mind if I kept it.
'
I didn't particularly push to keep it, though I did ask if they wanted me to send the Howell Mountain back to them. They said keep it "with our compliments!"
13 h @ n

Tyler F.

#773 Post by Tyler F. » October 16th, 2020, 6:07 pm

Popped a 2018 Editorial tonight. It's been decanting about 2 hours so far. Probably going to give it another 30-60 mins and then dive in.
Tyler Fabian

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#774 Post by Mike R » October 16th, 2020, 6:51 pm

Rohit B wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 3:16 pm
Mike R wrote:
Rohit B wrote:
'
I didn't particularly push to keep it, though I did ask if they wanted me to send the Howell Mountain back to them. They said keep it "with our compliments!"
I emailed them back and asked if I would be able to keep it and they said it wouldn't be a problem. Not my finest moment, but glad I don't need to deal with shipping.
... 0 p 3 r

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#775 Post by MatthewT » October 16th, 2020, 6:57 pm

Mike R wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 6:51 pm
Rohit B wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 3:16 pm
Mike R wrote:

'
I emailed them back and asked if I would be able to keep it and they said it wouldn't be a problem. Not my finest moment, but glad I don't need to deal with shipping.
[rofl.gif] Hey better than referring your wife for a credit [snort.gif]
I'm a Turk

Vivek K.

#776 Post by Vivek K. » October 16th, 2020, 7:04 pm

ScottieB wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 2:16 pm
A friend called WineAccess and was told that the Yesterday Oakville and Yesterday Howell are from the same winery. Everyone thought Yesterday Oakville was Harlan, but Harlan doesn't appear to have vineyards in Howell Mtn AVA (although Harlan does run The Napa Valley Reserve in St. Helena but that's not Howell AVA).

Any thoughts?
It’s probably from Bond (also managed by Harlan)? They have a Howell Mtn vineyard.
K u l k a r n i

Tyler F.

#777 Post by Tyler F. » October 16th, 2020, 7:31 pm

Tyler F. wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 6:07 pm
Popped a 2018 Editorial tonight. It's been decanting about 2 hours so far. Probably going to give it another 30-60 mins and then dive in.
Definitely a mistake to open this one tonight. This bottle is far too young and needs several more years to come together. Even with 3 hours of air, this one is pretty unbalanced. The acidity is too high, but the structure and tannins are there. This will definitely improve with time, just far too young right now.
Tyler Fabian

Rohit B

#778 Post by Rohit B » October 16th, 2020, 7:47 pm

Tyler F. wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 7:31 pm
Definitely a mistake to open this one tonight. This bottle is far too young and needs several more years to come together. Even with 3 hours of air, this one is pretty unbalanced. The acidity is too high, but the structure and tannins are there. This will definitely improve with time, just far too young right now.
Good to know and will certainly keep that in mind. I was told these cheap wines shouldn’t be cellared, but now I’m feeling better about waiting on these for awhile. [snort.gif]

I’m new to wine so forgive the novice question—does acidity tone down with time? Recently had a Bordeaux that I felt was a bit too acidic and left a few bottles in the “cellar.”
13 h @ n

Tyler F.

#779 Post by Tyler F. » October 16th, 2020, 7:50 pm

Rohit B wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 7:47 pm
Tyler F. wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 7:31 pm
Good to know and will certainly keep that in mind. I was told these cheap wines shouldn’t be cellared, but now I’m feeling better about waiting on these for awhile. [snort.gif]

I’m new to wine so forgive the novice question—does acidity tone down with time? Recently had a Bordeaux that I felt was a bit too acidic and left a few bottles in the “cellar.”
The acid levels typically don't change, but the tannins will soften and integrate more, which should leave this more balanced. I definitely think this one is capable of cellaring for at least a few years. Not sure that I'd want to keep it a decade, but this one definitely needs 1-2 years of time to lay down.
Tyler Fabian

Keith_B
GCC Member
GCC Member

#780 Post by Keith_B » October 16th, 2020, 8:05 pm

I opened a 2018 Yesterday tonight. Well, actually I opened it around 230PM to aerate until dinner. Was a little disappointed at first around 6PM when I had my first glass With no food. However, with steak at around 7PM through the end of the bottle it performed really well and was a nice bottle for the price point.
Instagram: @keithbentley

ScottieB

#781 Post by ScottieB » October 16th, 2020, 10:59 pm

Vivek K. wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 7:04 pm
ScottieB wrote:

Any thoughts?
It’s probably from Bond (also managed by Harlan)? They have a Howell Mtn vineyard.
I don't believe Bond has a Howell Mtn Vineyard. https://www.bond.wine/grand-crus/
B e c k m a n

David Crow

#782 Post by David Crow » October 18th, 2020, 5:00 am

ScottieB wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 10:59 pm
Vivek K. wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 7:04 pm
ScottieB wrote:

Any thoughts?
I don't believe Bond has a Howell Mtn Vineyard. https://www.bond.wine/grand-crus/
If the description of the original Yesterday wine is accurate I think it’s highly likely the grapes are from Harlan or some Harlan owner property.

The original offer says it’s a “hillside vineyard” that was “planted decades ago at places where open plains and hills meet wild woodlands: border zones teeming with life, lending this wine a coiled energy. All exposures—northern, eastern, southern, western—are represented among their acres, leading to a unique complexity in the glass.”

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but that description perfectly matches Harlan and I don’t know any other vineyards in oakville that come close to matching that description, especially not when you factor in the other clues such as price point and cult status.

There are other wineries such as Bevan and O’Shaugnessy that make wine from both oakville and Howell mountain, but the other parts of the description don’t come close to matching.

As far as I know Harlan / Bond / Promontory don’t make any Howell Mountain designate wines, but I’ve read they do regularly make experimental wines for R&D purposes to test out new vineyards etc. so perhaps the Howell mountain Yesterday was wine from one of those.

I think we’ll need to wait for the description to come out to have more clues.

John L Hall

#783 Post by John L Hall » October 19th, 2020, 6:15 am

Anyone have thoughts about the new WA “concept album” release?

rsmithjr

#784 Post by rsmithjr » October 19th, 2020, 6:40 am

John L Hall wrote:
October 19th, 2020, 6:15 am
I have tried the 2016 and thought it was very nice. Lots of great flavors and nice flesh. Takes an 1-2 hour decant.
Roger Smith- Longtime wine drinker and bon vivant' and unofficial De Negoce' FANBOY.....

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#785 Post by Mike R » October 19th, 2020, 7:12 am

John L Hall wrote:
I really liked it a lot. Don't have tasting notes, but I remember it being extremely well balanced. One of the better wines I've had from them, and other than Yesterday, the only private label wine I went back and ordered more of.
... 0 p 3 r

Peter C.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#786 Post by Peter C. » October 19th, 2020, 8:56 am

Mike R wrote:
October 19th, 2020, 7:12 am
John L Hall wrote:
I really liked it a lot. Don't have tasting notes, but I remember it being extremely well balanced. One of the better wines I've had from them, and other than Yesterday, the only private label wine I went back and ordered more of.
Agree - it's delish.

Still think Stay Home is good for the price, just needs some time or a decant if you drink it now.
( z y ® y ( @

Peter C.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#787 Post by Peter C. » October 19th, 2020, 3:56 pm

Has anyone tried the Echoes in the Canyon cab?
( z y ® y ( @

Rohit B

#788 Post by Rohit B » October 19th, 2020, 6:14 pm

John L Hall wrote:
It's not a new wine actually, they've had it for awhile. Not sure why they are promoting at as a limited time offer.

Very positive feedback on the wine.
13 h @ n

NickRut
GCC Member
GCC Member

#789 Post by NickRut » October 20th, 2020, 6:55 am

Any guesses on what this Moundsman wine is?
Rutkowski

Rohit B

#790 Post by Rohit B » October 20th, 2020, 7:07 am

NickRut wrote:
October 20th, 2020, 6:55 am
The 2014 Moundsman was ZD estate--maybe it's the same for the 2018?
13 h @ n

Peter C.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#791 Post by Peter C. » October 20th, 2020, 7:12 am

NickRut wrote:
October 20th, 2020, 6:55 am
Biggest clue perhaps is "among the oldest continuously-owned family vineyards in Napa" at "the foot of the Mayacamas."
( z y ® y ( @

Greg Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

#792 Post by Greg Smith » October 20th, 2020, 9:28 am

Gundlach Bundschu? But probably not close enough to Crane Park.

Greg Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

#793 Post by Greg Smith » October 20th, 2020, 9:41 am

Charles Krug?

John L Hall

#794 Post by John L Hall » October 20th, 2020, 3:32 pm

Thanks!

Mike R wrote:
October 19th, 2020, 7:12 am
John L Hall wrote:

Return to “Wine Talk”