2017 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Spätlese

Drank this tonight on a Zoom call with friends. Traditional, steely, old fashioned Saar wine. Really enjoyed it. Beautiful wine. A bit reserved. Good length. Not as much body as say a Zilliken wine. Needs time to reveal all its magic but very enjoyable to drink right now. Will have to look for some of their 2019s.

Thanks for your tasting note. The wines are made in an old-fashioned manner. We want subtle, steely, elegant, and light-bodied wines that go down well.

That is certainly what you got and I very much enjoyed it. Lars, how do the 2019s compare with the 2017s. In case anyone does not know, Lars imports the wine and poured for me at a Rieslingfeier a few years back the only wines from the winery I had tasted before this one (2015s).

The 2019 vintage is our favorite vintage, followed closely by 2016. The wines have such finesse. In the States, we have eight different regional importers. I work in the vineyards and cellar at Hofgut Falkenstein, but “Lars Carlberg Selections” is still on the back labels.

Anybody care to comment on 2018?

It’s a great vintage for us. For a review of the 2018s, you can read Mosel Fine Wines, issue no. 46.

Thank you!

You’re welcome.

I tasted some of them in London in June 2019. They were delicious and I ended up buying good stocks.

Thanks, Nicos! Howard Ripley Wines will ship the 2019s to London this month.

I have not had any of their 2018s, but how is the acidity? I have found the 2018s I have had to be a bit flabby. But, this is the Saar and acidity usually is not an issue.

I had the 2018 Krett Euch Kabinett a week ago and I think this a fairly consistent description of that wines character as well.

The acidity in our wines is very good. I’d recommend reading issue no. 46 of Mosel Fine Wines or David Schildknecht’s report on Saar Riesling 2018 in Vinous.

That’s right Lars! Excellent work! I have purchased a number of the 2019 bottlings as well!

Thanks again. I heard that the 2019s are highly allocated.

Yes, the 2019’s were highly allocated. My allocations were quite acceptable.

When will the 2019s arrive in the US?

Manhattan Wine Company is showing them as prearrivals arriving August 28th.

Thanks.

It depends on the state. Ideal Wine, in Massachusetts, were the first to ship their selections, so the wines arrived a few weeks ago. All but one of our importers have shipped their orders, which should be arriving this month, or, at the latest, in September. Piedmont Wine Imports, in North Carolina, will have their wines picked up soon, and it usually takes about four weeks before the wines are available for purchase.