Burgundy, Champagne & Riesling recommendations

Just looking for a few recommendations.

Never really cared about Champagne, until a few months ago when I tried a 2008 Piper-Heidsieck Brut. I realize now I haven’t cared because I simply haven’t tried enough.

Looking for a mix of bottles to get me started with these varietals/ regions. Pinot Noir from Burgundy, Champagne & German Riesling.

Hoping to find something affordable (sub $50, but the lower the better) that shows a fair expression of each and also hoping to find something that will really WOW me (under $150).

What are you looking for in German riesling? Specifically, what is your tolerance for sweetness? Are you just look to drink dry wine or also off-dry and sweet?

Riesling - try a Kabinett or Spatlese from Zilliken, JJ Prum or Schloss Lieser

Burgundy

Three adjacent parcels of Meursault Perrières this Spring (updated!) - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers [See, esp., William Kelley list of top farmers.]

For a Champagne to wow you, 2006 Taittinger Comte de Champagne

thanks for the reply. to be honest i don’t really know. I was thinking more dry, but I love Sauternes, so I imagine my tolerance is high for sweet.

German wines are still reasonably priced. Try widely. Dry, off-dry (Kabinetts and Spatlese), sweeter wines (say Auslese), Mosel, Saar, Ruwer, Rheingau, Nashe, etc. enjoy.

Well, I just shared a 2009 Von Hövel Oberemmeler Hütte spatlese on the porch with a friend and it was delicious. Fruity, bright balances. I think this producer is underrated. One doesn’t have to pay (and wait) for Prum to enjoy great German riesling. The 2017 is available in NY for about $22! Here is the review from Mosel Fine Wine:

I, Issue #41 (6/1/2018)
(von Hövel Oberemmeler Hütte Riesling Spätlese) AP: 12 18. The 2017er Oberemmeler Hütte Spätlese offers a gorgeous nose of white peach, grapefruit and passion fruit wrapped into a touch of citrusy whipped cream. The wine develops the beautiful balance of a light fruit-driven Auslese (no wonder, it was made with fruit harvested at a full 95° Oechsle) on the nicely playful and gorgeously light-footed palate. It leaves a stunningly mouthwatering feel in the long and silky yet racy finish. The after-taste is all about juicy passion fruit, pear and aniseed herbs. This is a gorgeous wine in the making which completely defies the density usually found in wines from the 2017 vintage. 2027-2042 94 points

Just to be precise:
the best Riesling comes from mainly three countries: Germany, Austria, France (Alsace) - it´s simply a question of style and preference
Austrian are mainly dry - with exceptions
German can be eveerything from dry to off-dry to very sweet
Alsace can be slightly sweet even when labelled dry - bone-dry easier to find on lower level

Thank you. Lots of good information here. Any idea where I can find that Tattinger? I saw a 2007 for about $120+ship. Do you think it is worth going for the 2007 if I cant find the 2006?

I have not bought any 2006 for a while, but I know Envoyer used to have it at a good price. Check wine-searcher.

As for the 2007, I was in Champagne in 2018 and got to taste the 2007 (prior to its release) at the winery. It seemed very good and very clean with really nice flavors and acidity, but without the power and complexity of the 2006, at least at that time. This is the only time I have tasted the 2007 (I likely would have brought a bottle to my wine group’s monthly tastings this year except that we are not having our monthly tastings due to COVID [bleh.gif] ). I have had the 2006 multiple times, so I have more confidence it it. I own both, but more of the 2006. Hope that this helps.