TN: 2019 Rusack Vineyards Mission (USA, California, Central Coast, Ballard Canyon)

• 2019 Rusack Vineyards Mission - USA, California, Central Coast, Ballard Canyon (8/9/2020)
    I remember speaking to the winemaker Steven about their Mission in barrels and he said he wasn’t sure if they were going to release it at all.

I’m so glad they did.

This Mission has excellent color extraction - deeper than any of the American ones I’ve had. Nose is slightly shy, and doesn’t show its hand fully. In the mouth, tart cherries and a kind of quiet, coiled power of subdued fruit and acid. A much more old world wine than new world in its style. In fact, blind I would not have guessed new world or even Mission, as it doesn’t really have those tell-tale peppery notes I always encounter. Not as sweet as my own and with softer tannins, it’s very elegant. However, as usual with Mission, the wine is “bigger” than you expect from the color.

Excellent, one of the best I’ve tried and re-affirmed the potential for the Mission grape to be able to produce wines of great weight and seriousness. 38 cases made. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker