***LOOK AGAIN, NOW UPDATED WITH COMPLETE MENU*** Oh boy, tough pairing... Lowcountry Boil (SC)

I have been tasked with the challenge of finding some wines to pair with a lowcountry boil. Having lived in SC I have had many a good lowcountry boil and having previously lived in New Orleans have had a lot of solid crawfish boils which are very similar. I always tend to reach for some ice cold beer when indulging in the boils, but some of the people around will definitely be looking for wine to have. There will be around 15 people, probably half will be looking for wine, so I was thinking of having 4-6 bottles out.

I was thinking maybe a less expensive white Bordeaux or cotes du Rhone blanc? Not as astringent as sauv blancs from elsewhere and without the oak that I’d like to generally avoid. I am not sure whether an unoaked chsrd would work or not. I think the residual sugar in German or American riesling without a little bit of acidity wouldn’t do well but I’m not sure. Alsatian riesling may fit the bill…? The acidity in Champagne may be too much but I am not sure.

Looking for advice here. The crowd drinking is not terribly discerning but I would like to show them something interesting and match it with decent quality for a crowd. Old world preferred but to be honest I’ll take what I can get that pairs well.

Oh, and it would probably be wise to have at least a couple of bottles of red on standby. Good pairing with the boil would be ideal but I realize that this may be impossible from a red. The only thing I can think of is soft new world pinot noir…?

I’m willing to spend up to 30 dollars a bottle average if needed.

**BIG EDIT:
The whole menu is as follows…

To start:
Assorted veggies and artisan crackers for dipping. Dips: Pimento cheese, Carolina caviar (see below), Spinach and Artichoke dip; charcuterie plate (salami, capicola, smoked ham) with typical accoutrements.

For the uninitiated, carolina caviar usually contains something like the following - Black-eyed peas, Black beans, fresh chopped tomatoes, corn, diced vidalia onion, red/yellow/green finely diced bell pepper, tiny bit of jalapeno, cilantro… with lime, red wine vinegar, garlic, extra virgin olive oil, salt, black pepper as dressing.

The low country boil in this case is potatoes, shrimp, andouille sausage, corn, old bay, with garlic, and lemon, all boiled together in a massive pot, with lemon wedges, garlic butter, horseradish cream, and cocktail sauce and crusty french bread.

Accompaniments include basically a typical american salad people can put together.

As for the person who said it is like a clam bake, in its own way it is… but the Old Bay etc. I think are different. I have never had a clam bake, but looked up some recipes [thumbs-up.gif]

So far we have (in order of how much/enthusiastically I think you’re calling for it; will update):

• Beer (duh; my go to here [rofl.gif])
  • A strong call for champagne
  • Equally strong call for Rose, particularly Bandol
  • Alsatian Riesling (maybe even a vendage tardive?)

Also recommended once:
  • Muscadet
  • Dry Muscat
  • New world pinot noir
  • Fruit forward zin (I guess this means primitivo might work, too)
  • lightly chilled Beaujolais (I incidentally have a good bit of young Cru Beaujolais that might be nice? or would it be wasted on this? I have old Cru Bojo too such as '09 Roilette cuvee tardive among others but wouldn’t use it here)

Champagne would probably be my pick — or maybe a new world Pinot noir from somewhere like RRV that’s just juicy and delicious? Honestly, I think beer is the right answer.

Can you tell us uninitiated northerners what a low country boil is? A fish stew?

Depending on the spice level perhaps Muscadet? Maybe the red drinkers would be happy with Rose’?

Think Clam bake with more spices and different shell fish.

Rose, for sure. How about Muscadet.

champagne.gif (See 2 posts up)

PG Dry Muscat Ottonel would be my choice.

Haha, I swear I didn’t cheat [rofl.gif]

As for Red now, we have been drinking the heck out of this wine this summer. It’s a perfect hot weather Red.

Light, refreshing with Plenty enough acid and no oak. Great party, yard wine and would pair well I think.

I would go with rosé but, if a red was called for, would pick a fruit forward Zinfandel.

Beer FTW.

At the CellarTracker Charleston Offlineorama several years ago we did LOTS of top notch Champagne in the afternoon.

Then we did Lewis brisket and Rodney Scott Pulled pork with LOTS MORE big reds.

I seem to remember…

Very cold (bandol) rose will make anyone happy.

I like the low RS Alsatian Riesling idea. Maybe even a VT for kicks? If German maybe with just a wisp of sweetness — halbtrocken or feinherb?

And don’t forget the cold beer!

With tomatoes, the vinegars, and the citrus, you’ve got a lot of acidity going on and I think Champagne would not at all be out of place and enough to stand up to those things and refresh your palate between bites. Would cut through the fatty meats, too. Riesling would be lovely, even a Kabinett. People love a touch of RS, even when they don’t wanna admit it. [cheers.gif]

For reds, perhaps a Beaujolais, lightly chilled?

After seeing the update I’d stick to beer.

Trust me… I want to do this badly. Especially given it’s not a wine-savvy crowd. I want to do just enough to please the people who wouldn’t drink beer while also hopefully making them more interested in learning wine beyond their typical million case production $10 bottles they drink on the regular. I am more than happy to have some of them over another time to bring out some better juice with appropriate food, for sure.

Would go with a dry Sémillon, can handle the spice and work with all the other components, too.

What do you normally reach for when it comes to those ribs you’ve been occasionally posting on Instagram, William? Not that I’ve been envious, or anything.

Attended a neighborhood party with very similar menu (including the low country boil) last year.

For whatever it’s worth, I thought the best 2 pairing where (1) cru bo (with a bit of a chill, as you suggest) and (2) Westbrook one claw (a rye pale ale from an excellent South Carolina brewery).

Have fun.

I grew up in the Low Country and have had many a boil. That was long before I was a wine drinker, but have a couple of ideas. My recs would be Gruner, Pinot Gris, Dry Riesling, or top choice might be Ugni Blanc/Tebbiano.