TN: 2001 Joh. Jos. Christoffel Erben Erdener Treppchen Riesling Kabinett

• 2001 Joh. Jos. Christoffel Erben Erdener Treppchen Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (8/7/2020)
    My last bottle a year ago was “monumentally good.” How do you go higher? Well, wait a year, and open another. It still shows that penetrating depth and intensity of flavor that so characterized the best of 2001. Mellowing from the uber-richness of the vintage into a more feinherb balance, it is delicious on its own, as well as with food. Based on how it’s showing at age 19, it should easily slide into immortality. One bottle left to check that theory.

Posted from CellarTracker

Love that wine. Saw your note on FB. Agree. The 2001 kabinetts are really getting creamy and soft. In a good way. The spine of acidity holds everything together. I’m inspired to open my last 2001 kerpen WS spatelese (the 1* bird label). So precise

It is good to see this wine getting the reverence it deserves :slight_smile:. Lucky you to have them with patience and tranquility.

I would not call this one creamy or soft. It had a very solid core.

on the nose. creamy. on the palate crisp. I love the vintage

Some wines, but not this one. I don’t generally find that Treppchen goes creamy. Wehlener Sonnenuhr on the other hand…

Christoffel one of my favourite producers, virtually always outperforms its price and then some. Super note, David.

Mike