Montrachet 1955 Comte de Moucheron

Once a substantial holder of Montrachet, Moucheron’s plots have been sold off over the years. By deduction, this wine’s plot was sold to DRC.

The wine was sourced directly from a merchant in Burgundy and arrived in almost perfect condition.

A burnished, mid gold colour with a distinct vivacity.

The nose was quite lively at first - Reine Claude plums and a touch of redcurrant. After a few minutes it becomes a bit more tertiary. Truffles and coffee become more evident.

The palate has a good line of acidity which helps cut through the richness. There is some chalkiness as well. I was surprised by the strength of the fruit on this, typically I’ve found older Burgundies to show more honey, sous bois and nuts whereas this was still very yellow fruited, even after an hour in the decanter. Length was good, no botrytis evident. On reflection, and having spoken to the source, this bottle benefitted from having spent all its life a few miles from where it was made, and drank like a great 70s white rather than a bottle from the 50s.

Overall, an amazing bottle, especially given its 65 years age.
1B64E673-797C-4BC8-A73E-B241F41AC272_1_201_a.jpeg

Well done Stephen.

Wonderful notes and bravo on the sourcing.

Hi Stephen, I’ve had the 1950, 1953 and 1955 once or twice each over the last 20 years. De Moucheron’s plot was purchased in the early 60s by the Domaine and until they added other plots later on it was the sole basis of their Montrachet. If I recall correctly it still constitutes today the bigger part of their holdings. Rich and layered come to my mind when thinking back of the 55, and from experience the bottle opened up beautifully for over 2 hours before it plateaued, and then remained there for quite some time. I have one bottle of the 53 left, now I am getting thirsty…