Not enjoying wine at the moment.

Maybe it is just me, but I am not having any fun or enjoyment from wine right now. I have taste and am not ill, just not getting pleasure. Pretty sure that it is my stress level and or a bit of depression. When a glass of Ultramarines Rose doesn’t do it, it is probably time to take a break. Anyone else in this headspace?

I have my moments… Honestly, been drinking more cocktails. My biggest challenge with drinking wine is that I find that to be a very social enjoyment. I like to open wine with guests and enjoy a good bottle over a meal. Haven’t had a lot of opportunity to have guests over since COVID came into our lives. Hang in there. Everyone’s struggling with anxiety, depression, anger and other mental health issues.

I hope you can reclaim your love of wine and enjoy it!

Not getting enjoyment out of something you typically would is a classic sign of depression, so it may be that. However, I believe that the most important thing about wine is with whom you drink it, so if you and your friends are stuck in lockdown, I can see how it would be much harder to get the same enjoyment from wine. If I wasn’t doing virtual tastings with my friends, I’d be opening wayyy less of my nicer bottles of wine because they just aren’t as fun by myself or with my wife as they are with another 2 - 4 wine enthusiasts.

I have drunk maybe three bottles, at most, since the lockdown.

Sounds like a great time to take a moratorium.

I am not experiencing any lessened enjoyment, and am drinking as often as usual, but that isn’t all that often – maybe 3 bottles a week.

Fatigue will do that to you. I rode Hurricane Katrina out and immediately started working 70-80 weeks for the next 27 months. All I wanted at the end of the day was a cold beer.

I wouldn’t rule out the weather either. I know that my interest in wine declines in direct relationship to hotter and/or more humid weather.

My short advice is that if you aren’t enjoying drinking wine at the moment then just take a break.

But keep buying. neener

I’m drinking the same amount, enjoying it just as much. But, if bubbly doesn’t do it, probably nothing will. Don’t know if you have an exercise routine. That can lower stress and help make the world feel like a better place.

-Al

Pretty sure its depression. Not really enjoying much of anything. Dragged myself out for a vigorous hike after posting. Did it without headphones or music and just let my thoughts run. Realized I had given into lethargy leading to inertia. Also gotten too invested in day to day news and following the Beirut explosion yesterday sealed it. Decided to take try a 2 week break from TV or internet news. I also think that Ultramarine will be the last bottle I crack for a few weeks. I spent nearly 40 years working in mental health and yet things slip up on me. These are hard days and self care is vital.

All this remote working and social distancing, COVID-keeping-up takes a toll and is so far from normal that I think it subtly effects us all. Be well.

I would certainly not discount stress as the cause. If a dry spell doesn’t solve your problem though, then maybe try something at the opposite end of the spectrum of your typical style. I had been repeatedly drinking a handful of lighter bright earthy red wines and acid driven whites. Opening a full bodied, riper, high tannin red really rejuvenated my interest in all types wine.

Wow, that’s like working 2.5 to 3 weeks a month. How did you manage?

neener

I know you don’t need for me to say this to you, given your 40 years in the biz, but take care of yourself. It is a hard, hard time right now. See someone if the cloud doesn’t lift soon.

As one who worked in healthcare I’m sure you know it is often hardest to look at yourself. And as you did today just breaking out of the rut and thinking outside the current box is key. I’ve certainly been there and found a good hour hike, often without music, really helps me get to that “reset” button. Skiing always does it for me in the winter. Lastly just visiting with friends outside is especially great these days.

I’m sorry, Robert.

Vigorous walk while letting your thoughts run sounds like great medicine. I find that a routine helps keep it going. As far as alcohol, seems to depend on the person but it never helped me when I was feeling down and seems like you’re the same. Sounds like you’ve given yourself the right prescription, you got this.

-Al

Robert, sorry you’re going through the doldrums, or worse, I can empathize. Yesterday’s rather bleak weather was no help either. I can vouch for taking a break from the news. I recently did a big puzzle that helped a bit, have been reading some things unrelated to the daily news, definitely get out and walk every day. Maybe we should start an offline thread for March 2021, start planning the wines now [cheers.gif]

I’ve had that problem with champagne. We normally drink quite a bit but with friends. My wife and I can’t finish a bottle and I have never had great luck with using the closers and preserving the bubbles.

It’s only my exquisite discipline that prevents me from drinking a bottle of champagne by myself. It is better with friends, though, it’s the ultimate choice to share with some of my friends (my bubbly buddies). I’ve had good luck with the resealers, but the quantity of bubbles is less important to me.

-Al