Wine and the NBA bubble in Orlando

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Benjamin Hand

Baxter Holmes Back on the NBA-Wine Culture Beat

#1 Post by Benjamin Hand » August 6th, 2020, 7:38 am

Baxter Holmes has been on the NBA-Wine beat for a while, and he has another fun story on wine in the NBA bubble.
Portland Trail Blazers guard CJ McCollum's hotel room constitutes a wine fridge of sorts. He keeps the temperature around 60 degrees when he's inside it and in the mid-to-high 50s when he's not, all in an effort to protect the 84 bottles that he keeps in boxes, out of the light.
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page/n ... -wine-club

Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Baxter Holmes Back on the NBA-Wine Culture Beat

#2 Post by Jason T » August 6th, 2020, 7:45 am

Dude could probably throw a couple mini fridges in there and save the hotel some $$$ on energy costs and himself some suffering.
J@son Tr@ughber

James Lyon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by James Lyon » August 6th, 2020, 8:17 am

For the most part, McCollum shipped in pinot noir from Oregon, where he is a member at several local wineries, along with the first bottling of his own recently released wine, McCollum Heritage 91, also an Oregon pinot noir.
McCollum and Anthony have enjoyed several bottles together, including McCollum's new label. It's a far cry from the times they've visited Oregon wineries together, engaging in barrel tastings and staying long after closing time, discussing the wine, guessing the soil types and vintages.
Alright, spill the beans Oregon peeps. Who has been hanging with CJ and Melo? Jim, Vincent, Todd, Marcus...maybe Ken Pahlow with his basketball roots?

It seems like an easy marketing move from the Oregon peeps to send a few complimentary bottles to CJ and Melo. Might lead to a decent return if you can get the bottles in their hands?

Enjoyed the article and thanks for sharing.

James

Benjamin Hand

#4 Post by Benjamin Hand » August 6th, 2020, 8:30 am

There is a picture on Carmelo's instagram with what looks like a flight of 4-5 bottles of Adelsheim.

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

NBA Player’s Unofficial Wine Club

#5 Post by Andrew Kotowski » August 6th, 2020, 8:51 am

Fun article here -> https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page/n ... -wine-club

“ There has been Bordeaux and classic Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon, and Redick has been introducing Hart to the wonders of Burgundy. Hart is quick to note, though, that Redick has been in the NBA longer and can more easily afford such wines.

"See, you can do that," Hart says he told Redick with a laugh. "You've been in the league for 15 years, built up some nice paydays. Burgundy is expensive. I'm still on my rookie deal, my man." “

I do smile a little when I think that both JJ and Howard might be enjoying the same bottle of Burgundy at night :)
Instagram at @akgrill

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

Wine and the NBA bubble in Orlando

#6 Post by c fu » August 6th, 2020, 9:04 am

My good friend Baxter Holmes wrote a fun article for ESPN about wine drinking in the NBA bubble - he talked to a few serious wine lovers in the bubble including JJ Redick, Josh Hart, CJ McCollum

Some fun notes
Redick has been introducing Hart to the wonders of Burgundy. Hart is quick to note, though, that Redick has been in the NBA longer and can more easily afford such wines.

"See, you can do that," Hart says he told Redick with a laugh. "You've been in the league for 15 years, built up some nice paydays. Burgundy is expensive. I'm still on my rookie deal, my man."
Per Vernon Peterson, a member of the NBA's facilities team, for all the packages coming in, one type stands out. "Definitely wine,"
Multiple players have shipped in wine fridges to their hotel rooms

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page/n ... -wine-club
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡

Re: Wine and the NBA bubble in Orlando

#7 Post by Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ » August 6th, 2020, 9:12 am

I saw this too and have it queued up to read. Looks most dope.

Mike C.

#8 Post by Mike C. » August 6th, 2020, 9:16 am

Sounds like LeBron and Melo need to give some lessons:
Philadelphia 76ers forward Tobias Harris posted a video to Instagram of 2018 Caymus Cabernet Sauvignon from Napa Valley that was gifted to him by his close friend and ex-teammate Boban Marjanovic of the Dallas Mavericks. Utah Jazz forward Royce O'Neale posted an Instagram video of himself drinking former Rockets star Yao Ming's Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon, which appeared to be in a paper cup.
h@0

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#9 Post by c fu » August 6th, 2020, 9:19 am

James Lyon wrote:
August 6th, 2020, 8:17 am
For the most part, McCollum shipped in pinot noir from Oregon, where he is a member at several local wineries, along with the first bottling of his own recently released wine, McCollum Heritage 91, also an Oregon pinot noir.
McCollum and Anthony have enjoyed several bottles together, including McCollum's new label. It's a far cry from the times they've visited Oregon wineries together, engaging in barrel tastings and staying long after closing time, discussing the wine, guessing the soil types and vintages.
Alright, spill the beans Oregon peeps. Who has been hanging with CJ and Melo? Jim, Vincent, Todd, Marcus...maybe Ken Pahlow with his basketball roots?

It seems like an easy marketing move from the Oregon peeps to send a few complimentary bottles to CJ and Melo. Might lead to a decent return if you can get the bottles in their hands?

Enjoyed the article and thanks for sharing.

James
CJ did get a case of Walter Scott sent to him in the bubble! One of the first wines he popped was a WS pinot
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

IlkkaL

#10 Post by IlkkaL » August 6th, 2020, 9:56 am

Pretty funny when an NBA player - albeit a role player - comments that Burgundy is expensive. Can’t hate on JJ Redick for enjoying his PYCM.
Last name = L u !V! !V! e

P L owet
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by P L owet » August 6th, 2020, 10:05 am

Can someone please explain to CJ et al. that keeping wine at room temperature for a few weeks and simply icing the bottles down before serving would not be a problem?! [cheers.gif] Awesome that he's gotten involved in the Oregon wine scene!
Regards,
Peter
Peter L owet

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: NBA Player’s Unofficial Wine Club

#12 Post by Anton D » August 6th, 2020, 12:01 pm

Loved that article.

Thanks for posting it!

My favorite part...

"At his hotel in Orlando, Redick did not see any such wines available, or anything close.

"OK," he thought to himself. "I need to remedy this."

Redick dialed his New York-based wine broker and immediately asked him to send a shipment. Then Redick went online to purchase an 18-bottle wine fridge for his room -- something to keep the bottles at the appropriate temperature, ideally around 55 degrees Fahrenheit....

....So, Redick says, being able to open a bottle at the end of the day and share a glass at a distance with fellow players brings something beyond normalcy and comfort.

"It provides an escape," Redick says."

Us oenophiles share some great characteristics!
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by K John Joseph » August 6th, 2020, 12:15 pm

Reddick should have just called Carnes and Alfert to bring him some stuff. Between the two, they could have sourced great rhones and burgs. But then again, they'd have to know who Redick is. Enter Fu and me.

Clearly Redick needs to get on Wineberserkers so he can get his fix same-day.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Neal.Mollen » August 6th, 2020, 12:55 pm

This is as good a place as any to drop this. We need to get Will to post here

I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Charlie Carnes » August 6th, 2020, 3:15 pm

K John Joseph wrote:
August 6th, 2020, 12:15 pm
Reddick should have just called Carnes and Alfert to bring him some stuff. Between the two, they could have sourced great rhones and burgs. But then again, they'd have to know who Redick is. Enter Fu and me.

Kane, you put us together, Bobby and I will deliver the goods. Haha.

And if you’re talking JJ I certainly know who he is. One of the greatest pure shooters of all time. Reminded me of Billy McCaffery of Vanderbilt fame. Of course my all time favorite dookie is Bobby Hurley...
So shines a good deed in a weary world!

Al Osterheld

#16 Post by Al Osterheld » August 6th, 2020, 9:16 pm

Redick drinking Rhys Skyline Pinot Noir (a bit young, though).

https://www.delish.com/food-news/a33534 ... ring-wine/

-Al

Alex Valdes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Alex Valdes » August 6th, 2020, 10:20 pm

Popovich is well known as a wine lover and vineyard investor

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/265 ... rs-dynasty

Tom Lee

#18 Post by Tom Lee » August 6th, 2020, 11:42 pm

Marc Lasry owns the Milwaukee Bucks and Kistler. Solid hobbies!

Tom
Twitter: @NWTomLee

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Howard Cooper » August 7th, 2020, 4:11 am

Let us get to the key question. How do we get Popovich, Reddick, Hart, etc., to participate in Wine Berserkers. They would learn a lot and we would have a ton of fun getting to know them.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Alex Valdes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Alex Valdes » August 7th, 2020, 4:25 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
August 7th, 2020, 4:11 am
Let us get to the key question. How do we get Popovich, Reddick, Hart, etc., to participate in Wine Berserkers. They would learn a lot and we would have a ton of fun getting to know them.
Apparently, adding a blue check mark to your handle is the sure fire way to attract celebrities.

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » August 7th, 2020, 4:35 am

Charlie Carnes wrote:
August 6th, 2020, 3:15 pm
K John Joseph wrote:
August 6th, 2020, 12:15 pm

Kane, you put us together, Bobby and I will deliver the goods. Haha.

And if you’re talking JJ I certainly know who he is. One of the greatest pure shooters of all time. Reminded me of Billy McCaffery of Vanderbilt fame. Of course my all time favorite dookie is Bobby Hurley...
F*ck that Charlie, we take them to the Club and drink much better sh*t!

Have your people call my people and we set it up.

Yea I have no clue who he is.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Howard Cooper » August 7th, 2020, 4:45 am

Alex Valdes wrote:
August 7th, 2020, 4:25 am
Howard Cooper wrote:
Apparently, adding a blue check mark to your handle is the sure fire way to attract celebrities.
I was thinking based on the article was that the key is more Burgundy threads.

The #1 risk to all this is Alfert breaking through the NBA bubble and bringing them Loire Cab Franc to drink. [wow.gif] After that, they will shun this place like the plague. [truce.gif]
Howard

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Charlie Carnes » August 7th, 2020, 5:03 am

Howard wins. That had me rolling early this morning.
So shines a good deed in a weary world!

James Lyon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by James Lyon » August 7th, 2020, 5:07 am

Actually, I would say that McCaffrey was more famous for being the dookie to leave that uber talented squad with Hill, Hurley and Laettner and transferring to Vandy. And his ex-girlfriend married Ben Stiller. But yeah, he was a pure shooter.

Christos M.

#25 Post by Christos M. » August 7th, 2020, 5:18 am

Fun article. On IG, LeBron, Melo, Kevin Love, and some other players post what they are drinking. Definitely some white wale bottles are posted. To me the most interesting guy to get here would be Poppovich. I read the ESPN article that was done on him regarding wine a while back that someone else posted here. The guy seems to have much knowledge and appreciation for wine. It would be great to hear some of his stories and to share more about the early years of Napa.
Wine is life. M0ut0usis

James Lyon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by James Lyon » August 7th, 2020, 5:26 am

If I remember correctly, Popp is a minority owner of one of the bigger production wineries in Oregon. I'm thinking A to Z, King Estate, etc.

m. ristev

#27 Post by m. ristev » August 7th, 2020, 5:47 am

perhaps this is also the demographic that is driving up prices at hdh auctions rolleyes
mајкл

C. Keller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by C. Keller » August 7th, 2020, 7:04 am

Ok. Cool article. But they're shipping in this heat???!!!!! They must be paying for some expensive cold chain shipping?

Also, I agree with Howard. More burgundy threads and maybe we get these guys attention. Maybe we show them William's vineyard videos as the selling point.
Chris

Alex Valdes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Alex Valdes » August 7th, 2020, 7:27 am

Christos M. wrote:
August 7th, 2020, 5:18 am
Fun article. On IG, LeBron, Melo, Kevin Love, and some other players post what they are drinking. Definitely some white wale bottles are posted. To me the most interesting guy to get here would be Poppovich. I read the ESPN article that was done on him regarding wine a while back that someone else posted here. The guy seems to have much knowledge and appreciation for wine. It would be great to hear some of his stories and to share more about the early years of Napa.
In the book The Power of Habit there is an entire vignette about Popovich and the role wine and dinner play into his team cohesion strategy.

JFertitta
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by JFertitta » August 7th, 2020, 9:47 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
August 6th, 2020, 12:55 pm

I DM'd him on IG
Jeff

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#31 Post by c fu » August 7th, 2020, 10:15 am

C. Keller wrote:
August 7th, 2020, 7:04 am
Ok. Cool article. But they're shipping in this heat???!!!!! They must be paying for some expensive cold chain shipping?

Also, I agree with Howard. More burgundy threads and maybe we get these guys attention. Maybe we show them William's vineyard videos as the selling point.
A lot of the wine is being overnighted from talking to a big retailer and a winery that sent wine into the bubble.

Redick/Hart are on a Ponsot/PYCM tear from wineaccess
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Vincent Fritzsche
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#32 Post by Vincent Fritzsche » August 7th, 2020, 10:22 am

James, I only wish CJ was enjoying some Vincent. I'm certainly enjoying watching him and the guys play!

But I kinda want to nickname him BeefJ, he's clearly been in the weight room (and the wine cellar) during the lockdown. Dude's looking like Mo Lucas with those shoulders, damn.
Vincent - ITB

Christos M.

#33 Post by Christos M. » August 7th, 2020, 12:59 pm

Alex Valdes wrote:
August 7th, 2020, 7:27 am
Christos M. wrote:
August 7th, 2020, 5:18 am
In the book The Power of Habit there is an entire vignette about Popovich and the role wine and dinner play into his team cohesion strategy.
I read that book about a year ago. I'll have to go back a reread that part. Thanks!
Wine is life. M0ut0usis

R@f@el A.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by R@f@el A. » August 7th, 2020, 1:10 pm

There was an interesting podcast from GuildSomm featuring Will Blackmon recently. Worth listening to.

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Anton D » August 7th, 2020, 3:13 pm

JFertitta wrote:
August 7th, 2020, 9:47 am
Neal.Mollen wrote:
August 6th, 2020, 12:55 pm

I DM'd him on IG
I think what he's doing is awesome. I hope it's a screaming success.
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Howard Cooper » August 8th, 2020, 4:38 am

C. Keller wrote:
August 7th, 2020, 7:04 am

They are for me.
Howard

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » August 8th, 2020, 5:49 am

If I owned an Oregon winery and wasn’t already selling to them, I’d be sending them some “critic’s samples” overnight to the bubble, hoping they pop one and like it enough to hype it on the ‘gram.

Philip Liao
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Philip Liao » August 8th, 2020, 9:02 am

Love this thread. I know Jimmy Butler's favorite was Sassicaia, introduced to him by Mark Wahlberg. So I imagine a lot of athletes are getting their recs/wine from other celebrities.
I'm not having a glass of wine, I'm having six. It's called a tasting and it's classy.

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Andrew Kotowski » August 8th, 2020, 9:22 am

Philip Liao wrote:
August 8th, 2020, 9:02 am
Love this thread. I know Jimmy Butler's favorite was Sassicaia, introduced to him by Mark Wahlberg. So I imagine a lot of athletes are getting their recs/wine from other celebrities.
If you are a Jimmy Butler fan, check out JJ Redick’s podcast interview with him. They talk about wine at length.
Instagram at @akgrill

James Lyon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by James Lyon » August 8th, 2020, 10:13 am

D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote:
August 8th, 2020, 5:49 am
If I owned an Oregon winery and wasn’t already selling to them, I’d be sending them some “critic’s samples” overnight to the bubble, hoping they pop one and like it enough to hype it on the ‘gram.
Thanks for reading my original post upthread. Hahaha.

James

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Scott Brunson » August 8th, 2020, 10:28 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
Remember when Keyshawn posted here for a short time?
He and I PMd a few times.
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » August 8th, 2020, 11:58 am

James Lyon wrote:
August 8th, 2020, 10:13 am
D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote:
August 8th, 2020, 5:49 am
Thanks for reading my original post upthread. Hahaha.

James
Hah! I actually did read your post but I was multi-tasking and missed the part where you'd already made this keen, insightful, brilliant suggestion. In any event, I agree!

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by Howard Cooper » August 8th, 2020, 12:36 pm

Scott Brunson wrote:
August 8th, 2020, 10:28 am
Howard Cooper wrote:
Don't know that I ever saw those posts. Neat.
Howard

Dave McIsaac
BerserkerDay Champion
BerserkerDay Champion

#44 Post by Dave McIsaac » August 8th, 2020, 1:20 pm

Scott Brunson wrote:
Howard Cooper wrote:
What did he PM you? “Just Gimme The Damn Wine” 🍷
You're the man Dave! I think i speak for all of us when i say that..😎 - John Cabot, BDXI

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by Scott Brunson » August 8th, 2020, 1:57 pm

Dave McIsaac wrote:
August 8th, 2020, 1:20 pm
Scott Brunson wrote:
Howard Cooper wrote:
What did he PM you? “Just Gimme The Damn Wine” 🍷
[dance-clap.gif]
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by Andrew Kotowski » August 15th, 2020, 8:29 am

Here’s at least one place JJ sources his wine from.
Attachments
295AEB8D-FDFA-4E4B-80AA-3ABF8E0907CE.jpeg
Instagram at @akgrill

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » August 15th, 2020, 9:22 am

Earning some geek cred there, for sure. But prices are bad enough when all we have to compete with is Alf money and Fu money. When we have to compete with NBA money even on the obscure geeky stuff, watch out...

andrewkao
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#48 Post by andrewkao » August 15th, 2020, 10:03 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
Maybe they're already all here on burner accounts:

"Hey ...'John'...I hear the Spurs have an awesome coach with great wine. You should consider joining!" - George "I'm not tampering" P
Claudine Wines
We source tiny quantities of surplus premium wine and offer them at a fraction of the original price.

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by Howard Cooper » August 15th, 2020, 10:34 am

andrewkao wrote:
August 15th, 2020, 10:03 am
Howard Cooper wrote:
Maybe they're already all here on burner accounts:

"Hey ...'John'...I hear the Spurs have an awesome coach with great wine. You should consider joining!" - George "I'm not tampering" P
Or maybe they are here under assumed names like Victor and Russ. [wow.gif] Wonder what board name Kamala Harris uses here? flirtysmile
Howard

Marshall Manning
GCC Member
GCC Member

#50 Post by Marshall Manning » August 15th, 2020, 2:19 pm

Howard Cooper wrote:
August 15th, 2020, 10:34 am
Wonder what board name Kamala Harris uses here? flirtysmile
Tom Hill
Marshall