Sancerre

In the short time I’ve really appreciated wine, I haven’t found a Sancerre (or a Sauv Blanc) that I love. Normally I find it overpowering, especially the citrus notes. That changed last week. Gerard Boulay’s Sancerre Les Monts Damnes was light, refreshing, and just all-around wonderful. I was hoping there might be some SB/Sancerre lovers here who could point me in the direction of similar bottles. The majority of what I drink is in the $15-25 USD price point, but I’m open to spending more for a special occasion.

What vintage was the Monts Damnes you had? Perhaps not to the extreme of Burgundy, but Sancerre can definitely have vintage distinction as much as producer distinction. You may find success more broadly across that same year. If it’s an older vintage, say 4-5 years past, you may prefer them as they settle down versus youthful. Single vineyard Boulay can definitely age and evolve beautifully, but there aren’t a whole lot of others on their level.

Max, You found Sancerre love with a pretty good one and the price was probably > > $25. I have enjoyed some Sancerre that are $25-$30 or so that I can recommend trying if you find them:
-Boulay Sancerre Chavignol , his entry level, good and Boulay’s Sancerres get better from there (including the one you have discovered)
-Henri Bourgeois Sancerre Les Baronnes
-Thomas-Labaille Sancerre Les Monts Damnes

This was the 2017 vintage, so still on the younger side I think. I’ll see if I can find some more 2017 vintages…

Thanks Jim, it looks like I have access to all of these shipped. Very much looking forward to trying them out!

WTSO has a couple good Sancerres available for well under $20

Recently had the 2019 Domaine du Carrou which i thought was a nice value for ~$20

You might try Riffault, Hippolyte Reverdy, and Chotard. And try a good Pouilly-Fume like Minet or Blanchot, too…similar to Sancerre. As another poster mentioned, try a variety of vintages, as the '18s will be richer than the '17s, normally, and maybe you like them with a couple of years age?

So many great Sancerre… but yeah, you have to like the profile.

Obviously, the Cotat cousins make great juice. So does Riffault. So does Domaine Vacheron (hmmmm… Chambrates!). And oh yeah… Vatan… and all of these can age a little bit.

Boulay’s are normally very good as well and would fit in the list above. You also picked a great vineyard. Les Monts Damnés also produces some wonderful cuvées with a specific profile. I think it has a specific soil not so typical to Sancerre. I also think Boulay’s les Monts Damnés uses a little oak.

You could try other Sancerre from around Chavignol who have seen some oak: Delaporte Monts Damnés could be one you like.

But I think you might be better to get your Sancerre with a little bit of age (3 to 5 years). Time mellows them out a little bit.

Agree on Vacheron Chambrates!

Recommended producers (all Vintage '59 Imports):

Thierry Merlin-Cherrier, Bue - He owns a small parcel of Le Chene Marchand, but his AC wine is very good as well. Also look for Lucien Crochet, who has larger holdings in Le Chene Marchand.

Matthias & Emile Roblin, Maimbray - The brothers’ ‘Ammonites’ cuvee reminds me so much of a nice village Chablis, but yet it’s still Sancerre… such citrus and mineral inflection, an incredible wine.

Domaine Henry Natter, Montigny - Raised in neutral barrel, their Sancerre AC is fuller and richer than many others in the appellation. A 1988 tasted with the winemakers at lunch last year was still fresh and vibrant, turned very savory (aromas of leeks/wild garlic). Great stuff all around and they make a nice rosé of Pinot Noir.