Favorite Wine Movie

The Somm 3 thread spurred me to search old threads. I couldn’t find one dedicated to wine movies, so please add your favorites including YouTube or others. I’ve seen the basics (Sideways, Somm series, etc) and I am interested to find out about others.

Here is a link to a good list of the most common ones:

Bottle Shock. Not accurate for the most part but still a fun movie.

Second Bottle Shock, seen it more times than I can count. It’s the wine version of Dazed and Confused for us X Gens. RIP Alan Rickman.

Sideays. A bromance for the ages. I watched it with my girlfriend a few months ago and she enjoyed it!

1 Like

Not Many good wine movies I know of and while not really a wine movie but drinking movie Withnail and I is a classic British comedy. the line “we want the finest wines available to Humanity, we want them here and we want them now! “ makes me laugh every time.

2 Likes

Marathon Man.

If you want to know the story of Pahlmeyer watch the old Douglass-Moore move Disclosure.

An off the beaten path suggestion:
Tu Seras Mon Fils

Heartily recommend the French film ‘Ce qui nous lie’ by Cedric Klapisch. I think it’s ‘Back to Burgundy’ in English, which is just just the lamest translation for the title!

Anyway, really enjoyable film about a group of siblings who take over the family domain, lots of wonderful shots of burgundy and a nicely made movie.

1 Like

Marathon Man is a wine movie??

I really like Sideways .

And in a supporting role,

Jean-Marc Roulot

1 Like

A good year.

2 Likes

No. But they do have a good Burgundy/Beaujolais scene.

This topic comes up regularly and I always name the same movie, which it surprises me is not better known: Eric Rohmer’s Autumn Tale. This movie has as significant details, whether a woman winemaker should call herself a viticulteuse or a vigneronne and how to answer how many hecotliters an hectare of a given vineyard produces when you don’t know what either of those words are. Tu seras mon fils would also be on my list, as would Ce qui nous lie. For English language movies, only Sideways seems to me to be in their league.

I enjoyed the documentary “Grand Cru”, which covers the background of Pascal Marchand struggling with the 2016 weather.

This is one of our favorite wine movies as well. We also like a A Good Year, some nice Provence shots.

It would be definitely be good year if I inherited an estate in Burgundy and got to hang out with Marion Cotillard flirtysmile Freaking love that movie!

1 Like

I watched Red Obsession last night. Interesting to see how Bordeaux reacted to increased demand from China post the Financial Crisis. The singular focus on Bordeaux made it feel one-sided (the price increase of Burgundy in the same period rose more than Bordeaux), so while I understand the importance for the purpose of narrative I would have liked a more balanced perspective of the pressure.

Sideways. Mainly because it was the first movie with a wine theme that actually got something right. Love ‘A Good Year’ as well -

2 Likes

Watched the “Secret of Santa Vittoria” just this year. If you really want to see what wine can mean to a community and identity. Quinn gives his usual over the top performance and it even rolls in those ever present bad guys, the Nazis. Really love the ending line…trigger alert, this is in Black and White boys and girls. Just imagine a time before there was CGI and color in movies!

2 Likes

Um…it’s in color. I am old enough to have seen it when it first came out. And you can check it out on youtube.