ISO Boston wine friends

I’m at a crossroads in life. I"m old enough to enjoy my wine, buy some nice bottles and have some knowledge ( some)
but my social circle is limited to friends who dont appreciate what I offer/ share ( they’re good people) or care to discuss / learn the wine

So… I’m not sure where to turn to meet folk especially in Covid times. suggestion welcome ( tried meetup, reddit, even my local FB groups)

Open invite you’re near me, want to share? LMK. Figure i’d try now since it might be safer than when it gets colder and we’re indoors

I"m north of Boston ( 128/93 intechange area) I"m not snooty just want to meet like minded people.

thank you

1 Like

Post something in the offline board area, best bet is to just set something up and that will help rustle people up. “If you build it, they will come”

Unf the Boston city proper has historically been kind of tough on BYO

Thank you for the advice…

Chicago here…but have a Junior in college in the Boston area and now a Freshman at BC…will be there a ton this fall and during BC Hockey season. Happy to connect (Socially distanced) to pop some corks.

Boston here…moved here from Baltimore about a year and a half ago and navigating covid with a 6 month old now. Would def be down at some point and am looking to get a group together that I’ve met at some point when I don’t feel like I’m putting my newborn at risk

in Back Bay and would be interested.

Welcome Nestor - This is a good place to start. Lots of discussion and interest around all things wine & food. Participate to connect with others. The coronavirus will not magically disappear but the situation will become better in 2021. So I would participate here and discuss wine with others and develop friendships.

Belated welcome to the board, Nestor. I started this thread ages ago, a lot out of self-interest :slight_smile: but it took on a sort of life of its own. There’s a listing for the Bostonians who have chimed in there. At some point, if/when things return to some semblance of normal, Boston was going to be on my big 2-week east coast swing for sure.

Haere Ra,

Mike

There are some Boston peeps who check in here on occasion, but most of the OG crew has migrated off the board and even social media.

I’ve got a Boston BYOB email list with >80 people on it. PM me your email address and I can add you.

I very occasisonally organize dinners (but not since COVID), and sometimes forward emails from list members who have wine to sell. The last thing I did was a big dinner for Larry Schaffer from Tercero Wines, who was visiting Boston in mid-January.

Otherwise, I’ve mostly been going to dinners organized by SteveC, but since he recently moved to Philly/S. NJ, I may have to step up my game!

Some of us have even done some Zoom wine dinners (mostly Boston people who have Philly connections). I think we had 22 people on one of them.

There are a lot of smaller groups that organize their own get togethers, so you just have to network your way to them. Or organize a dinner here or via the list yourself as a way to meet people.

BTW, I also have a map of Boston-area BYOBs pinned at the top of my Twitter (and there is a thread on the subject on WineBerserkers). Hopefully the few that we have don’t go out of business thanks to COVID. There are some restaurants that will let you BYOB under the table, but you shouldn’t post about it online.

@bostonbesteats

BTW, one of our favorite little local wine shops (very little, very quirky) is Ansonia in Newton, who imports all their own wines (mostly French, biased towards Burgundy).

They have been doing some “Mason Jar” Zoom wine tastings, and there is another one Saturday Aug 29th. You stop by after 12N to pick up little jars of 5 different wines for $35 (enough for 2 people to share), and then dial into the Zoom for a discussion at 4PM.

They are very knowledgable and passionate about their producers (a few big names but mostly wineries you’ve never heard of and no one else imports).

I haven’t done it yet, but may join in next time.

I lived in Chicago for the better part of the 2010s, now I’m just north of Boston like OP

Happy to meet sometime this fall (socially distanced) Charlie N for some wine.

just checking back in ( 5 month old soooo… Im busy:)
Wow lots of responses and I’ll reach out.
I’m happy to host something small just to intro people in my backyard etc socially distanced etc… same as another poster. Want to keep my 5month and 5 yo safe as well. I"m in Wilmington

I"ll reach out to all…
Cheers

Boston philly connection?
Interesting… Philly born and raised and living in wilmington looking for a decent cheesesteak and pizza…
I"d be happy to help organize if you need a hand

Nestor,

I am also on the north shore and very close to Wilmington. Would also be interested in a safe get together at some point. Thanks for putting the invite out there.

Mitch P

Nestor, Kevin Foley is your man for pizza and may even have mad (sous vide?) cheesesteak skills

Bit belated, but based in the South End and, post Covid, I think it’s time to start sharing wines with new friends. Also Boston based but Philly born and raised. Shooting you a Pm!

There is a solid core of wine geeks in & around Boston. I will certainly be trying to find a time to host an off-line once everyone is feeling up to public gatherings again.

2 Likes

I’m the Boston area as well, and would definitely be interested in joining an offline in the future.