TN: 2012 Contrade di Taurasi (Cantine Lonardo) Taurasi Vigne d'Alto

• 2012 Contrade di Taurasi (Cantine Lonardo) Taurasi Vigne d’Alto - Italy, Campania, Taurasi DOCG (8/2/2020)
    After falling in love with the Lonardo’s 2011’s, finally to the chance to pull a 12 for comparison. Decanted 6 hrs. Great nose, full of roses and spices, some tar, dark fruits, I just adore when Nebbiolo smells like this…. Oh wait. Kidding aside, terrific aromatics. With some shade being thrown at Campania for being too polished and modern, please try a Lonardo if you haven’t already. I’m confident it would take me less than 5 seconds if served blind to name the grape. Brawny and robust, with dark plums and the volcanic thing that Aglianicos do. A wee bit of polish on a mildly glossy texture, but it should continue to integrate with additional cellar time. A good sized push of tannin on the finish, but the balance is there, so early drinking is not a punishable offense. A wine of class and character, loved this. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I am glad you liked the wine, Dale. He uses a very long maceration and large barrels, which I think is best; I love the texture.

Big time fan Oliver, I lean slightly to the Le Coste bottling but both vintages I’ve tried of (2011 and 2012) VdA have been terrific. The Grecomusc white was super interesting as well, but haven’t been able to find it so far this summer.