2005 Courcel Grand Clos des Epenots

Decanted for 1 hour. Delicious. I was looking for a match with grilled pork chops (seasoned with garlic and herbs, with sautéed mushrooms on the side) and thought this non-traditional choice might be worth the risk, and it was. Of course, being a 2005 from a tannic AOC, I was concerned it might be too tight, but it provided plenty of pleasure. Moderately expressive on the nose, with flavors of dark cherries/berries and earth, and a nice juicy streak. I’m sure it will go for many more years, but it was very tasty tonight. Even my daughter who doesn’t like red wine gave it a thumbs-up.

Great note. I haven’t had this wine, but Courcel’s 05 Rugiens gives a similar impression. You’d expect it to be impenetrable. But it’s totally gorgeous and not just as a science experiment. It’s seamless and deep and super delicious. As you say, it has many years (probably decades) ahead of it, but I’ve opened a few bottles because it’s just so good. I’m often surprised that Courcel doesn’t get more love.

On the other hand, I also recently opened a ‘99 Courcel Epenots, which was a monolithic wall of structure (but with loads of potential).