TN: 2018 La Grange Tiphaine Côt Touraine Vieilles Vignes

• 2018 La Grange Tiphaine Côt Touraine Vieilles Vignes - France, Loire Valley, Touraine (8/1/2020)
    Impressive concentration but rather rough at this point. I would not be at all surprised if this turned into something quite nice with age but it really reminds me more of young Cahors than of young Clos Roche Blanche so it’s not really what I was looking for.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the note. I was wondering about this wine. I have at bottle of their Clef De Sol rouge incoming. Their Clef De Sol blanc (Chenin Blanc) is killer.

I haven’t tried the chenin yet but I did open the Clef De Sol tonight (which was my impetus to finally post my note on the cot).

Cool note, I ordered both cuvees from Chambers. Won’t get it until cooler shopping weather.

Just went through a bottle of this paired with a slow roasted brisket. Yum! It’s a touch chewy but very well balanced…loved the acidity and vigorous fruit. It really wasn’t that rough when paired with the meal. YMMV. Happy to have another 2.

RT

I just picked up my bottles of the Cot and Chenin a couple days ago. One of each is in the queue and headed back to West Palm with me.

Excellent, looking forward to it. Get it next week.

Thanks for this note. Loire Malbec is a subject of real interest to me, as fringey as it may be. Anyone ever tried the Jean Francois Merieau ones from Touraine? Imported by Jon David Headrick. Really cool, almost reminscent of Savoie wines - Malbec’s fruit and floral notes with a body like a Mondeuse or Cru Bojo.

1 Like

I ended up popping the sister rouge tonight, the 2018 La Grange Tiphaine Touraine-Amboise Clef de Sol. I’m not sure if it is the vintage or the winery, but hot damn, this is a big rich wine, and I’m not necessarily saying that as a complement. Quite purple, sweet and showing its 14.1%. The chambers website says this wine is 60% Malbec (Cot) and 40% Cabernet Franc, while the winery website shows it the exact opposite. It really shows far more big ripe Cot to me. The Franc seems masked. Not what I expected.

Can’t speak to the 2018, but I’ve enjoyed previous vintages. First tried it at Rouge Tomate from Ms. Lepeltier’s list. No doubt one of her fav producers. She’s quoted all over the Chambers Street sales blurbs. Yes it’s a bit of a richer style but definitely not over the top in my experience. Can’t remember it tasting “sweet”.

RT

17DC6A59-D5FC-4A70-BA2B-34FD7D98C827.jpeg
Maybe the vintage. Reminds me of some 2005s. And not surprising, the critics seems to love this Loire vintage. My first 2018. Will try the Cot VV on Sunday.

1 Like

Have been following this wine for several hours. Your note and opinion is spot on. I’d take the “impressive concentration” comment one step further to over-extraction. Not what I want from Loire. Disappointing, as on paper, seems like something I would like very much.

1 Like

Impressive sediment for a 2018.

I’m willing to try these two wines again in a less ripe vintage, but once only. These are bruisers in 2018, both over 14% and show every penny of it. Not a cheap experiment.

I’m sorry to hear that, all the more since I’ve got some of both. Oh well, I could always blend some with a 2013.

I bought this along with some Cahors, which is what I was looking for…burger and steak wines. I’m sure you’ve had the Puzelat-Bonhomme “KO” In Côt We Trust. The 2017 is fairly svelte, less “dense” and more accessible.

Recently popped a 2015 Cahors, Chateau de Haute-Serre. Enjoyed that too paired with red meat.

RT

I generally like that but so far my post-CRB favorite is the Julien Pineau L’Ecume des Nuits which is a Cot/Franc blend. Hard to find though.

I guess I’ll try this one with red meat. I had really been hoping for something airier and not a bruiser. Serves me right for “listening” to another gushing blast from a retailer trying to sell wine. I’m done with 2018 anywhere in France West of the Jura and South of Champagne. A crude filter for sure, but my brain now skips over such offers.

Based on several 2018s that I’ve had from various regions, I concur 100%. Have not popped any of the Gonons yet, tho! I guess know we know why Loire reds are being praised by some critics in 2018! And Beaujolais!

I think a lot of what you’re describing re:richness in the '18s is a product of the vintage. I’ve tasted more Loire wines from 2018 that could be mistaken for Napa than I ever thought possible. (There’s a bunch of 14.5% Cab Franc out there, even if it’s not all labeled that high, I’d bet…) Delecheneau’s Cot is always a structured, powerful wine, but the level of fruit/extraction you’re describing is unusual for him.

Definitely check out his '16’s if you can find them, as well as the '17’s–though I feel like the latter is still a bit “solar” in style, it’ll be much more up your alley than 2018.