TN: NV Champagne Suenen Champagne Grand Cru Oiry Blanc de Blancs Extra Brut

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Keith A k e r s
GCC Member
GCC Member

TN: NV Champagne Suenen Champagne Grand Cru Oiry Blanc de Blancs Extra Brut

#1 Post by Keith A k e r s » August 1st, 2020, 2:12 pm

• NV Champagne Suenen Champagne Grand Cru Oiry Blanc de Blancs Extra Brut - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (7/31/2020)
    Nose: The nose is aromatic and fresh, filled with chalk, lemon peels, crushed rocks, biscuits, ginger, baking spices, apples, peaches, five spice, pears, and melon rinds. There is excellent depth and balance with the autolytics and fruit intermingling impeccably.

Taste: The feel is medium bodied with racy, high acidity. There is some density to the feel with the lees contact filling out the palate along with chalk, lemon peels, apples, peaches, ginger, crushed rocks, baking spices, and some five spice.

Overall: This is from a 2014 base and it is just a knockout. There is excellent depth and balance across the nose and palate with perfect use of lees contact to retain freshness and add in extra complexity. While I’m sure it can age, it’s just so wonderful right now and should absolutely be enjoyed in this form. (93 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker

emile bond

Re: TN: NV Champagne Suenen Champagne Grand Cru Oiry Blanc de Blancs Extra Brut

#2 Post by emile bond » August 1st, 2020, 9:04 pm

Suenen’s Oiry Village bottling is the only Oiry Village bottling I have ever drunk as far as I recall. Are there other Oiry Village bottlings in the US, and, if so, from whom? Thank you.

Dennis Atick

#3 Post by Dennis Atick » August 2nd, 2020, 3:57 am

Thanks for a great note, Keith. I really dig Suenen, and I don't drink nearly enough, which I realize every time I see a post like this. You are going to make me spend money this Sunday morning champagne.gif
@decaturwinedude

Keith A k e r s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Keith A k e r s » August 2nd, 2020, 9:17 am

emile bond wrote:
August 1st, 2020, 9:04 pm
Suenen’s Oiry Village bottling is the only Oiry Village bottling I have ever drunk as far as I recall. Are there other Oiry Village bottlings in the US, and, if so, from whom? Thank you.
this is a really good question and I hope that someone who knows can answer with more depth. I think I recall that Pertois-Lebrun does a good amount with Oiry though I'm not sure that they have any bottlings dedicated solely to Oiry fruit.

Dennis Atick wrote:
August 2nd, 2020, 3:57 am
Thanks for a great note, Keith. I really dig Suenen, and I don't drink nearly enough, which I realize every time I see a post like this. You are going to make me spend money this Sunday morning champagne.gif

then I have done my job [wink.gif]

emile bond

#5 Post by emile bond » August 2nd, 2020, 9:57 pm

Keith A k e r s wrote:
August 2nd, 2020, 9:17 am
emile bond wrote:
August 1st, 2020, 9:04 pm
this is a really good question and I hope that someone who knows can answer with more depth. I think I recall that Pertois-Lebrun does a good amount with Oiry though I'm not sure that they have any bottlings dedicated solely to Oiry fruit.

Dennis Atick wrote:
August 2nd, 2020, 3:57 am

then I have done my job [wink.gif]
Oiry is the smallest Chardonnay, Grand Cru Village under vine with 88.4 hectare. So, certainly this reduces the potential for single Village wines.

Chouilly: 522.5 hectare
Cramant: 350.9 hectare
Avize: 267.9 hectare
Les Mesnil: 433.8 hectare
Oger: 403 hectare

Return to “Wine Talk”